Tummy bugs on holiday UPDATE Shigella post 57

Options

Comments

• Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    I'm also convinced that if you're I'll in the first couple of days, you probably picked up the bug at the airport or plane or transfer.

I've wiped down many a meal tray before touching it!!

In the Balearics I've been told it's a seasonal thing, spring and autumn. Is this true??

We arrived Wednesday afternoon, struck down Sunday afternoon.
    That was contracted in the hotel.
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    Also, if one of your party falls ill and you're sharing a bed, bathroom or toilet, the chances are you'll then catch it from each other too.

When we were last ill, there was anti-bac gel available at the entrance to the restaurants, which we used, but you can't guarantee everyone did.

Thankfully we had our own beds, but not bathroom.
    I NEVER witnessed anyone using anti bac gel.
    It wasn’t even on display in restaurant entrances (I carry mine), it was in some loos.
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Worst case i have ever had was in Eygpt,was so bad went to bed in my underpants with the dressing gown on and a towel underneath me just in case,not very nice but local bought tablets cleared it up in two days then no alcohol for a few days.
    We took every precaution possible but these things happen.

I’ve had it in two fantastic hotels in Egypt, it’s put me off returning.
    The sensatori & the Reef Oasis Blue Bay.
    They are two of the best AIs in Sharm.
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    You're drip feeding info to this thread. In light of this info, you should have raised a formal complaint at the time.

I worry that the overuse of cleaning sprays and the obsession with sterilising everything in this country means we go abroad without the necessary bacteria in our stomachs to fight this sort of thing naturally.

I stayed in Egypt for a couple of months. Within a few weeks I could eat almost anything without fear of anything as my guts had built their own immunity.

It certainly wasn’t meant as drip feeding. I just forgot about it in my general post.
    It’s just different practices to what a five star hotel here would do.
    Anyway the doctor has given me a stool test for Monday - if I’ve still got it Monday.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    By all means go to Sensatori next time, or another hotel which mandates use of hand gel, but don't believe this makes you immune to getting sick, just because of this.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    By all means go to Sensatori next time, or another hotel which mandates use of hand gel, but don't believe this makes you immune to getting sick, just because of this.

No, but it gives you a feeling of confidence.
    I’ve used the sensatori in Mexico which was fab & I’ve also stayed in other 5 star in Mexico - never a problem.

It’s def put me off returning to the DomRep.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

That's what I thought but if OP feels more confident going to that hotel, going AI, staying around the hotel and taking precautions then that's her choice. It wouldn't be mine. Personally I prefer to travel all over the place and, I suppose, take the risk although it's not something I think about.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    I’ve had it in two fantastic hotels in Egypt, it’s put me off returning.
    The sensatori & the Reef Oasis Blue Bay.
    They are two of the best AIs in Sharm.

It was one of the best hotels in Hurgarda, we have been 3 times this year,to 3 different hotels and have only been bad once,put it down to one of those things that happen on overseas holidays:eek:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Am I one of the few who think we use too much hand sanitiser and cleaning products in general.

I never use hand sanitiser. I do of course wash my hands ( with soap and water as and when)
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Were any other guests ill during your stay ?

Strange that the two kids appear to have been OK - thankfully.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure