Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 7th Nov 19, 5:51 PM
    • 2,938Posts
    • 4,101Thanks
    Kim kim
    0 WOW
    Tummy bugs on holiday UPDATE Shigella post 57
    • 7th Nov 19, 5:51 PM
    0 WOW
    Tummy bugs on holiday UPDATE Shigella post 57 7th Nov 19 at 5:51 PM
    Just returned from an expensive Carribean holiday.
    It was 13th or 14th out of 145 hotels on trip advisor, I tried to be really careful in my choice.
    We also made good choices on the food there, used freshly cooked to order where possible, avoided rice on buffets, avoided shellfish, the usual.
    Iím almost teetotal & my daughter didnít really drink, 2 young children with us - my grandchildren. We limit sun as we are fair celts.
    But on day 4 she got a right dose of D&V (mostly D). That was it for her, she had a day and a half in bed, made a huge effort to get up for the final day & is still suffering at home.
    Iíve been similar since day 4, but not as bad as her - thankfully.

A weeks holiday cost 4k, half of it was spoilt, I am really annoyed that we play this roulette with long haul holidays. Iím not seeking compensation, we didnít report anything in resort (we did at check out, the customer survey). This isnít about that,

I toyed between 3 hotels and Iím so annoyed with myself I didnít book the sensatori which I feel would have been a safer bet.
    Last edited by Kim kim; Yesterday at 8:32 PM.
Page 2
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 7th Nov 19, 11:06 PM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 4,101 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Unfortunately, a dose of Delhi Belly is a fact of life for travellers. No matter how careful you are you can pick up a bug from anywhere. Sometimes it's just a matter of your digestive system not being used to the local bugs and if often it's impossible to identify a single cause or prove any liability on a hotel or restaurant.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    Perhaps, but I felt as per my post above, their food handling wasnít the standards you would expect in a 5 star resort.
    Certainly not a patch on the sensatori last December.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 8th Nov 19, 8:03 AM
    • 2,844 Posts
    • 5,094 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Also, if one of your party falls ill and you're sharing a bed, bathroom or toilet, the chances are you'll then catch it from each other too.

When we were last ill, there was anti-bac gel available at the entrance to the restaurants, which we used, but you can't guarantee everyone did.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 8th Nov 19, 8:32 AM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 4,101 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Also, if one of your party falls ill and you're sharing a bed, bathroom or toilet, the chances are you'll then catch it from each other too.

When we were last ill, there was anti-bac gel available at the entrance to the restaurants, which we used, but you can't guarantee everyone did.
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    Thatís why I liked the way the sensatori handled it so much.
    They didnít plonk it there for people to use, they dosed them with it!
    Iím going to look for hotels that do this going forward.
    • maman
    • By maman 8th Nov 19, 11:45 AM
    • 20,895 Posts
    • 123,871 Thanks
    maman
    Unfortunately, a dose of Delhi Belly is a fact of life for travellers. No matter how careful you are you can pick up a bug from anywhere. Sometimes it's just a matter of your digestive system not being used to the local bugs and if often it's impossible to identify a single cause or prove any liability on a hotel or restaurant.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    I agree. I've been to India and Turkey in the past year (and many occasions previously). I did get a small dose of Delhi Bellly but fortunately not Turkish Tum. Of course it would be great if everyone adhered to high hygiene standards etc but there are so many other potential variables.

What seems particularly annoying for OP is that you seemed to have spent a lot of time and effort trying to protect yourself from limiting your food choices and keeping out of the sun to keeping your mouth firmly shut in the shower (no singing from you then!). That's a shame. Perhaps stay closer to home in future.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 8th Nov 19, 1:15 PM
    • 2,844 Posts
    • 5,094 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    I'm also convinced that if you're I'll in the first couple of days, you probably picked up the bug at the airport or plane or transfer.

I've wiped down many a meal tray before touching it!!

In the Balearics I've been told it's a seasonal thing, spring and autumn. Is this true??
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 8th Nov 19, 1:34 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 1,059 Thanks
    Ganga
    Worst case i have ever had was in Eygpt,was so bad went to bed in my underpants with the dressing gown on and a towel underneath me just in case,not very nice but local bought tablets cleared it up in two days then no alcohol for a few days.
    We took every precaution possible but these things happen.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 8th Nov 19, 1:52 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    You play roulette with all holidays, longhaul or not. It's as likely to be something you caught off someone or something else as it is the food. It only needs someone to take a bug with them, or for someone who has a bug to go back to going in the swimming pool as soon as they feel better etc. Same goes for travel, return to work etc inside 48 hrs of being clear of symptoms when you're still contagious.

Whenever we've been to the Caribbean I've always eaten what I wanted, and never been ill. A number of years ago on a visit to Lanzarote I was ill for nearly a week. We don't stay in hotels there so couldn't blame the food in particular, it was a week after arriving so wouldn't be the flight or the airport. I spent 2/3 days on my own having a love affair with the bathroom in our little bungalow, while OH and son got on with their holiday. By the time we flew home I had been clear of symptoms for several days so knew I wouldn't be contagious.

It's just part of travelling unfortunately.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 8th Nov 19, 2:19 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    I noticed the chef rinsing spoons in the hot water he used for heating the pasta up. He had a big vat of water, heíd drop the cold pasta in, warm it through and then add to ingredients and stirfry. Using it for rinsing things at the same time was a bit grim. I also noticed cross use of ladles and spoons by chefs.
    For instance The pasta station he used one ladle for tomato sauce and bolagnaise sauce - not nice for the vegetarians! Those are just little things I noticed. But some def bad practices going on.
    Originally posted by Kim kim

You're drip feeding info to this thread. In light of this info, you should have raised a formal complaint at the time.

I worry that the overuse of cleaning sprays and the obsession with sterilising everything in this country means we go abroad without the necessary bacteria in our stomachs to fight this sort of thing naturally.

I stayed in Egypt for a couple of months. Within a few weeks I could eat almost anything without fear of anything as my guts had built their own immunity.
    Compensation/Refunds - £4,655 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,365 | Tax Avoidance - £107,000
    All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 8th Nov 19, 4:23 PM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Unless you have eaten and drunk all the time in your hotel there is no way to narrow it down to that exclusive location.

Visits to bars etc. or having an ice cream, for example, elsewhere could be just as liable.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 8th Nov 19, 4:51 PM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 4,101 Thanks
    Kim kim
    . Perhaps stay closer to home in future.
    Originally posted by maman
    No, instead Iíll stick to hotels that practice the hand sanitizers system as per the sensatori Cancun.
    Or maybe Iíll stick to there! I love Mexico.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 8th Nov 19, 4:52 PM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 4,101 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Unless you have eaten and drunk all the time in your hotel there is no way to narrow it down to that exclusive location.

Visits to bars etc. or having an ice cream, for example, elsewhere could be just as liable.
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    I didnít leave the hotel for an instance.
    Not until we were collected to return to the airport.
    We did plan to get out one day, but we felt too poorly.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 8th Nov 19, 4:54 PM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 4,101 Thanks
    Kim kim
    I'm also convinced that if you're I'll in the first couple of days, you probably picked up the bug at the airport or plane or transfer.

I've wiped down many a meal tray before touching it!!

In the Balearics I've been told it's a seasonal thing, spring and autumn. Is this true??
    We arrived Wednesday afternoon, struck down Sunday afternoon.
    That was contracted in the hotel.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 8th Nov 19, 4:57 PM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 4,101 Thanks
    Kim kim

Thankfully we had our own beds, but not bathroom.
    I NEVER witnessed anyone using anti bac gel.
    It wasnít even on display in restaurant entrances (I carry mine), it was in some loos.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 8th Nov 19, 4:59 PM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 4,101 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Worst case i have ever had was in Eygpt,was so bad went to bed in my underpants with the dressing gown on and a towel underneath me just in case,not very nice but local bought tablets cleared it up in two days then no alcohol for a few days.
    We took every precaution possible but these things happen.
    Originally posted by Ganga
    Iíve had it in two fantastic hotels in Egypt, itís put me off returning.
    The sensatori & the Reef Oasis Blue Bay.
    They are two of the best AIs in Sharm.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 8th Nov 19, 5:03 PM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 4,101 Thanks
    Kim kim
    You're drip feeding info to this thread. In light of this info, you should have raised a formal complaint at the time.

I worry that the overuse of cleaning sprays and the obsession with sterilising everything in this country means we go abroad without the necessary bacteria in our stomachs to fight this sort of thing naturally.

I stayed in Egypt for a couple of months. Within a few weeks I could eat almost anything without fear of anything as my guts had built their own immunity.
    Originally posted by Mutton Geoff
    It certainly wasnít meant as drip feeding. I just forgot about it in my general post.
    Itís just different practices to what a five star hotel here would do.
    Anyway the doctor has given me a stool test for Monday - if Iíve still got it Monday.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 8th Nov 19, 5:52 PM
    • 2,844 Posts
    • 5,094 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    By all means go to Sensatori next time, or another hotel which mandates use of hand gel, but don't believe this makes you immune to getting sick, just because of this.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 8th Nov 19, 6:05 PM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 4,101 Thanks
    Kim kim
    By all means go to Sensatori next time, or another hotel which mandates use of hand gel, but don't believe this makes you immune to getting sick, just because of this.
    No, but it gives you a feeling of confidence.
    Iíve used the sensatori in Mexico which was fab & Iíve also stayed in other 5 star in Mexico - never a problem.

Itís def put me off returning to the DomRep.
    • maman
    • By maman 8th Nov 19, 6:47 PM
    • 20,895 Posts
    • 123,871 Thanks
    maman
    That's what I thought but if OP feels more confident going to that hotel, going AI, staying around the hotel and taking precautions then that's her choice. It wouldn't be mine. Personally I prefer to travel all over the place and, I suppose, take the risk although it's not something I think about.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 8th Nov 19, 6:49 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 1,059 Thanks
    Ganga
    Iíve had it in two fantastic hotels in Egypt, itís put me off returning.
    The sensatori & the Reef Oasis Blue Bay.
    They are two of the best AIs in Sharm.
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    It was one of the best hotels in Hurgarda, we have been 3 times this year,to 3 different hotels and have only been bad once,put it down to one of those things that happen on overseas holidays
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • photome
    • By photome 9th Nov 19, 8:01 AM
    • 14,309 Posts
    • 9,802 Thanks
    photome
    Am I one of the few who think we use too much hand sanitiser and cleaning products in general.

I never use hand sanitiser. I do of course wash my hands ( with soap and water as and when)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

1,650Users online

Martin's Twitter