What West End / London show's have you enjoyed?

Options

Comments

• LilacLillie
    LilacLillie Posts: 2,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No sorry, the programmes are way too expensive.
    I paid £12 for 4 ice cream tubs!
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

• BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No sorry, the programmes are way too expensive.
    I paid £12 for 4 ice cream tubs!
    LL

Crikey yes!! I was sat near the ice cream sellers and couldn't believe £3 for a small(very small) tub of Haagen-Daaz. Tickets were expensive enough without the extras

Thanks for reply
  • mcallister1
    mcallister1 Posts: 2,198 Forumite
    Options
    Not a musicl- but 39 steps is really funny and great theatre - my 12 yr old son loved it and so did I. And its not too long.
  • LilacLillie
    LilacLillie Posts: 2,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :rotfl:I agree very funny :rotfl:
    I saw it last year and hadn't ever seen the film, have since seen it and it makes the play even funnier :rotfl:
    :rotfl:
    LL

Not a musicl- but 39 steps is really funny and great theatre - my 12 yr old son loved it and so did I. And its not too long.
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

• kalaika
    kalaika Posts: 716 Forumite
    Options
    I would recommend Wicked. Good show although songs have a few cheesy touches in places. I'd also echo the above thoughts on Woman in Black. Really good show and has the added bonus of having cheaper tickets than some other West End shows.

However, my wife has seen Chicago and Lion King and was disappointed with both.

I would also really recommend, if you ever get a chance to see it, a one man show by Guy Masterson called Under Milk Wood (written by Dylan Thomas). It's not in the West End and is usually on tour around the country, but it is excellent and well worth keeping an eye out for.

Now, if only they would bring back Rent...
    No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. - Neil deGrasse Tyson (@neiltyson)
  • minerva_windsong
    Options
    lynzpower wrote: »
    I dont go anywhere near enough I live in walking distance of Covent garden Im ashamed!

However we got free tickets to the Lion King and totally were blown away with it- would recommend it to anyone- we were v naysayer before we went, amazed when we came out.

OH seems to have a problem with the theatre :rolleyes: seems to think people might question his masculinity if he goes :rolleyes: Anyone experienced this :o

Possibly depends on the show - my boyfriend has been wanting to see Avenue Q for ages, and was gutted to miss out on Spamalot, but when I mentioned I was thinking of going to see Hairspray for my birthday he was a bit, "Er, OK..."

Hairspray is the only West End show I've seen in many moons but I thoroughly enjoyed it - I like a happy ending and toe tapping songs, and it has both in spades. I've also heard that Mamma Mia is vastly better on stage than it is as a film.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • cardiffforthefacup
    cardiffforthefacup Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 20 January 2010 at 2:54AM
    Options
    La Cage Aux Folles has to be one of the best performances I have been too.(pre John Barrowman)
    Joseph was brilliant and I thought it was going to be mostly hype but really thought it was good fun (AD. Lee Mead)
    Also thought Woman in Black, Les Mis and Chicago well worth the visit.
    Wicked was very colourful but more suited for children, I found it overlong myself, ditto Avenue Q.
    I have heard Warhorse is brilliant but have not seen it yet.
    Hope to get to see Inspector Calls before it finishes (now seen, thought it was brilliant myself, be aware there is no break in the middle though) and the Winslow boy (when it arrives) as I was forced to study these for English when I was younger. Also hoping to catch Priscilla with JD and mousetrap.
    Saw Legally Blonde-very funny, didn't think I'd like it but it was really good.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Loved .........Wicked ,MamaMia,
    Enjoyed.........We will RockYou, The Producers ,Avenue Q,Dirty Dancing
    Good for 5mins.........Stomp
    Disappointed (but maybe bad seats) Lion King
    Hated with a passion .........Spam a lot ,....Phantom
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • kt21
    kt21 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Options
    Having been lucky enough to see a fair amount of westend shows would-

Currently recommend- Wicked, Hairspray, Avenue Q, War horse, Billy Elliot, Mama Mia, 39 steps, Woman in black, Phantom of the opera

Would not see again- La Cage, funnily enough i didn't think Barrowman was camp enough. Blood brothers. Was also dissapointed with Dirty Dancing.

Booked and looking forward to- An inspector calls (tomo) and Sweet charity (Nov)

Must see- Sister Act and Jersey Boys as have heard so many good things about them

Would also like to see Priscilla again as first time round the experience was ruined by really rubbish seats. Don't sit in the cheap seats for this show!!
  • kad1
    kad1 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    can anyone recoemmend any good theatre dramas?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure