Eversmart saying my deal isn't fixed.

Options

Comments

• gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    I have now received a reply from Eversmart:

""""Thank you for getting in touch. I would just like to confirm that the Welcome Home tariff is variable and is subject to change at any time with 30 days notice.

I understand that this was initially quoted to you as fixed, however I am sorry to say that this was a technical error when we first launched this tariff.

I would like to offer you £10.00 credit to your account and assure you that we have taken steps to ensure this does not happen again."""

I have replied that any change to charges would be a breach of contract.
    Just had same reply
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stratus wrote: »

Seems to me that is a clear precedent. Here is a quote from post #145 on that thread:

"Thank you for contacting Ofgem.
    An energy supplier is not able to increase a fixed tariff. In this case, Economy Energy advertised their tariff as “fixed” by mistake, and will not increase the price of anyone who can prove they received a “fixed” offer.
    Economy Energy have been/should be in touch with affected customers who were provided with incorrect tariff information at the time of signing up to honour the fixed price for the period of the fixed term.
    I hope this has been helpful.
    Kind Regards,
    Georgia Bell
    Assistant Manager
    Consumer Affairs"

I'm wondering whether to convey this to Eversmart.
  • JohnB47
    Options
    Stratus wrote: »
    This post from the Economy Energy thread appears particularly relevant

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5891891&highlight=economy+energy&page=8#145

Key point in this case may rest on the difference between Fixed and Price guaranteed until.

Oops, sorry. I didn't see this post.

Seems academic to me. 'Guaranteed until' is the same as' fixed' in my book.

Also, I'm wondering what the relationship is between the Ombudsman and OFGEM. Which one would be best to contact about this?
  • Stratus
    Stratus Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    Seems academic to me. 'Guaranteed until' is the same as' fixed' in my book.

I agree with you and according to the response from Eversmart to nxdmsandkaskdjaqd so do they.
    I understand that this was initially quoted to you as fixed, however I am sorry to say that this was a technical error when we first launched this tariff.

The only difference I can see between this and the Economy Energy saga is Economy Energy made a mistake while Eversmart made a technical error.
  • chrisw99
    chrisw99 Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Just read this thread - have they actually put their prices up from the "price guaranteed" value? Sounds like it all started from them telling someone their prices are not fixed, but unless your prices have gone up probably not worth worrying about ... yet.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 October 2018 at 3:45PM
    Options
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    Just read this thread - have they actually put their prices up from the "price guaranteed" value? Sounds like it all started from them telling someone their prices are not fixed, but unless your prices have gone up probably not worth worrying about ... yet.
    Agreed. If they do give 30 days notice then complaint and if not satisfied the ombudsman and maybe a heads up to OFGEM (consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk) and they will get their !!!! kicked.
  • nxdmsandkaskdjaqd
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Agreed. If they do give 30 days notice then complaint and if not satisfied the ombudsman and maybe a heads up to OFGEM (consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk) and they will get their !!!! kicked.

I have made OFGEM aware. Won't hurt for others to do the same.
  • nxdmsandkaskdjaqd
    Options
    chrisw99 wrote: »

There has been no price increase yet, but it's on the cards. I would rather deal with this now, rather when I am in a panic to change supplier because of a massive price increase and the uncertainty of what is going to happen (as per the EE thread). Just my opinion.
  • JohnB47
    edited 31 October 2018 at 5:28PM
    Options
    I have made OFGEM aware. Won't hurt for others to do the same.

How exactly did you do that. An email to them? I thought the next step would be to complain to the Ombudsman, not to OFGEM.
  • nxdmsandkaskdjaqd
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    How exactly did you do that. An email to them? I thought the next step would be to complain to the Ombudsman, not to OFGEM.

On a personal basis, the Ombudsman is the next course of action once we have Deadlock letters.

On a wider business practices basis, maybe OFGEM is appropriate, it appeared to work in the case of the EE thread.

Just emailed them at consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk using the named individual quoted in the EE thread. Had an acknowledgement within a few hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure