MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you put £10 in Kitty's birthday kitty?

Options

Comments

• SerpentineGirl
    Options
    I wouldn't put £10 in, no.
    It is a lot of money, especially if you've only just started the job and don't know the person. But as has been pointed out, I would not expect my colleagues to ask me to contribute in that situation.
    That said, if Kitty was someone I was likely to be working with at a later date, I would probably put in a quid or two, and I would certainly sign the card.

I agree with a lot of others here that those collections should be stopped for birthdays, but as far as I'm concerned I think getting the person a card signed by everyone is a nice gesture and should not be omitted.
    If it was for a colleague I am close to, then maybe I'd organise a collection between friends, but I would certainly never expect someone who doesn't know them to chip in!
    I do however think giving someone a bunch of vouchers or a nice prezzie if they're leaving or are having a baby is a nice gesture.
    Manilla wrote: »
    However, I have another dilemma. Having organised leaving/new baby collections in the past, how would you deal with those people who eagerly sign a card and then don't put any money towards a present?

To me this is, at best, dishonest as by signing the card it implies that you've contributed to the present when you haven't. When I confronted the guy who did this in front of me (although he probably wasn't alone) he shrugged and said he was wishing them well and couldn't understand my frustration. Am I being too strict or do you agree that it's really not acceptable?

I personally think you're being too strict, of course you can wish the person well but not have the money to donate. If I were on the receiving end, I wouldn't really care who put money in and how much, but I would be upset if someone I liked and considered a friendly person hadn't signed a card for me.
  • mollflanders
    Options
    If I had a penny for every time I have contributed to these occasions since I first started work, I could probably buy a ticket on the QE2 and go somewhere exotic. When I first started work, back in the dark ages, you put in what you could and this related to how close you were to the person being collected for. The fact that a list is now sent round and you tick whether you have contributed or not is bad enough but for the amount to be stipulated is too too much! A card from the boss which everyone signs is more than enough.
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Surfer wrote: »
    Also annoys me when they come collecting for a charity and it is a charity that you would never donate to at any time.
    Here here. Now I am aware that this anecdote may make me a social pariah round here but here goes... I never never give to Children In Need. Now people will say but it's the kiddies and they need our help etc etc.. Reason being my father was a headteacher and he told us one day that he knew for a fact one school in his area had been given some money by Children In Need and what had they spent this donation on?..... a kettle, toaster and microwave for the staff room. :mad::eek::eek:

Sorry but since then I never give to them and prefer to support the likes of Great Ormond Street Hospital when giving to children's charities. At least then I know my money will be going to help those who are truly in need and a cause that does some amazing work.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    Do you know that in the past in every single job I've had since I was 17 yrs and I'm now 48, I have always been asked to contribute the full amount and I always have done. Now though, I wouldn't. I have learnt. I am sick and tired of being expected to give the full amount, even though I've just started and not been paid yet, I think it's disgraceful that I've always been expected to do this. Now, I know from experience, that when I leave, I usually get nothing, so from now, I will not be giving anything whatsoever and especially buying cakes for everyone on my birthday, no way from now!!
  • vauxhallboi
    Options
    It's a hard one because you need to ingratiate with your colleagues in the face of an objectively UNREASONABLE situation.

I would decline.

If I cared about it I would be sure to buy her a little card and make sure everyone sees me give it to her. If there were other new people I would invite them to sign it too to ward off those prejudgemental office workers who spent their work time looking down at the newer people as 'little fish'.

:T:D:beer::rotfl:
  • olliedog
    olliedog Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Wherever I've previously worked, it's up to the birthday person to provide cream cakes for the office staff. Only close friends would buy a present.
  • goodlookingadam
    Options
    Kitty who??

Exactly.
  • FoxIII
    FoxIII Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think it's anything to do with the person expecting to pay the money. The staff should take this into account and just ask for a) a couple of quid max or b) not ask for anything. Why should the person be made to feel bad by being expected to pay?
    Natwest Current Account: £945 (£950 limit (apparently there is money there, but I can't get to it!))
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    No - I used to work in HR and virtually everybody in the company used to kick off collections in our department - leaving, maternities, birthdays, engagements, etc. If you didn't quickly develop a policy of only giving to those you knew well you could be rapidly bankrupted.
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Reverbe wrote: »
    Here here. Now I am aware that this anecdote may make me a social pariah round here but here goes... I never never give to Children In Need. Now people will say but it's the kiddies and they need our help etc etc.. Reason being my father was a headteacher and he told us one day that he knew for a fact one school in his area had been given some money by Children In Need and what had they spent this donation on?..... a kettle, toaster and microwave for the staff room. :mad::eek::eek:

No surprise!

In my experience of non-profits, it wasn't quite that bad, but most "small donations" (i.e. everything except properly contracted funding grants) basically went on ink cartridges for the several staff and volunteers who just felt the urge to print off every email etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure