16 year old son starting his army training help!

Options

Comments

• loulou88
    loulou88 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    downs523 wrote: »
    get a hair cut, he will have to get one there and the babrbers on camps arnt very good. he will need a decent iron, not a cheap one as he will be using it near enough every day. ironing board would help too but not for transport getting there. when i joined we got paid cash weekly for the first month so he should be ok with cash. apart from that if hes got everythng on the kit list he should be fine.

forgot to say, remember your phone charger lol
    oh no I had forgot all about that I will take him to the barbers the day before he goes phone charger yes I have put that on list thanks.
    He will hve to buy an ironing board when he gets there.
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • loulou88
    Options
    Jamesb15uk wrote: »
    Hi, I hope I can offer some calming advice.

I'm 23 now, and have completed a few years service. My younger brother alex, also 16, is just about to start training aswell.

As hard as this must be to hear from a parents point of view, try and relax as much as possible. The kit list will give him virtually everything he needs, and anything else they need will be given to them, or they'l all go off on little jollies down to the shops together to get it.

If they have said £50 is all thats needed I imagine that will be fine, thats just going to be pocket money after all. In the army, especially when your young, you just dont need money in the same way as real life. Its just for a few coke's in the bar etc. Until they get access to their first pay.

I'd recommend a holdall for his things, that way it can fold away nicely under his bed or in his wardrobe, and it probably a bit easier to carry.

It must be hard and strange thinking of him being so far away. But try to be consolidated by knowing he willl be really well looked after by his corporals and sergeants and most of all by the best mates he'll ever have.

thanks ever so much your nice reply has made me feel a whole lot better it is such a long way from home I'm sure he'll be fine and learn alot. It is just a mum thing worrying. good luck to alex who knows they might even meet each other on training. thanks
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • loulou88
    Options
    downs523 wrote: »
    what training regiment is he going to?
    he is going in the signals taining at winchester
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • loulou88
    Options
    Cat695 wrote: »
    And Loulou Don't worry about him ok! he will be in good hands

He will be well looked after, fed very well (though very little sleep for a few weeks) i can put a bet on him ringing up saying he wants to come home, so make sure he sticks it out (all recruits find the change hard to adapt to at first) but after a few weeks when he gets into the routine he will start to love it.......then i can bet he will be ringing you up about the weapon firing he's done and having to go into the gas chamber (all fun stuff)

You should be proud of your son for doing this as he is about to embark on a potentially exciting change in his life that will see him doing things most people only dream about and the best bit getting paid to do it!!!

I will have to be brave and tell him to be the same. I know he will be homesick, but I'm not sure who will be worse me or him.
    I have warned him he will be asking to come home, so he is more prepared.
    I have to realise hes not my little boy any more, but my young man.
    I wish I had the chance to do what he is going to do. Lucky lad
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • loulou88
    Options
    Sparky29 wrote: »
    Fifty pounds is enough. I know it sounds stupid but as he is only 16 he needs to open a bank account with a cashpoint card and take it with him. On every training camp there will be a cashpoint and a shop (Spar) selling everything he will possibly need so you don't have to send him away with a 6 months supply of toothpaste and soap etc.
    He has his bank and card all sorted and I have the details so I can put money in if he needs it. thanks
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • loulou88
    Options
    jannerXI wrote: »
    I take it from the details you've given that he is off to AFC (Harrogate) and, if you haven't received some form of joining instruction, then you will so shortly. I was on the permanent staff there a few years ago but things haven't changed hugely as far as I'm aware.

You will also be invited to attend a briefing when you drop him off and I really recommend that you go if you can. I know that travelling 700 miles is not so easy but it's a great chance to meet his instructors, see the facilities etc and you can confirm how much he needs until you can see him again at parent's day some four weeks later or so. You will also be given the platoon commander's phone number so you can keep in touch if your son causes you any concern during his training.

Generally, the lads only call when they are sad and are generally back to themselves again a few minutes after the call. So if you do get a string of unhappy calls or nothing at all, feel free to call the staff to ensure that he is okay. This is quite normal and wont have any affect on how he is treated by the staff - in fact they really appreciate parents who see themselves as part of the training team; providing extra support during the tough days and not taking everything the lads say at face value.

Don't worry with regards to suitcase v holdall, he will be issued with military versions quite soon after arriving and the civilian version is generally used for items that can't go in his locker.

Harrogate is a great site and filled with some of the best instructors the Army has to offer - I hope that he, and you, enjoy his time there.

Kind regards,

J
    He asked to go to Harrogate. He didnt get in there ,he got Winchester.
    This is a great shame as it would make it easy for me visiting as my parents live an hour from there. I could have possibly taken him too. Or even granny could have taken him. We live on the Isle of Lewis in the outer Hebridies.
    There is no way I can afford to take him down to Winchester or visit after 6 weeks. It is going to take me all my time to pay to go to his passing out parade after 23 weeks. I' m still not sure I will have enough it is £26 ferry £15 bus then £356 train and then taxi to camp then a b & b. I think I may have to check out the megabus.
    This is the worse thing the heartbreaking thing realy.
    He is 16 and will have no one to visit after 6 weeks when he will need it.
    I am a single parent and only work part time as I have a younger daughter to look after.

I so wish that he had gone to Harrogate.

He even has a ferry 3 hours and an hours travel (they are picking him up from ferry) to take his oath then travel home again in 1 day. This is ok but the other travel is bad
    He has to leave here on fiday to get too Winchester camp on Sunday but as this is not possible he will be there on Saturday evening a day before all the others and no parent with him. This makes me very sad. I dont think there is anything I can do though.
    At least at Harrogate if I couldn't get there granny or aunty could visit him.
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • Cat695
    Cat695 Posts: 3,647 Forumite
    Options
    He can come home after 6 weeks from winchster as they get a long weekend.....and they will pay for his travel home

and its probably better you don't take him...let him start his new life without his mum (he'll feel a little more relaxed without you there trust me)

Not only that he will make friends while he's there so will NEVER be alone (in the army you make friends for life)

anyway Winchester is a lovely place and the camp is pretty decent and has some great facilities for the recruits (i used to be an instructor there)

Your right he is a man now and you will see your boy turn into a independant man (so make him do his own ironing when he gets home hehe)

Just so you know you can ring the training team to see how he is getting on (many times did i talk to mums and dads on the phone) they will answer any questions you have ok
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
  • loulou88
    Options
    Cat695 wrote: »
    He can come home after 6 weeks from winchster as they get a long weekend.....and they will pay for his travel home

and its probably better you don't take him...let him start his new life without his mum (he'll feel a little more relaxed without you there trust me)

Not only that he will make friends while he's there so will NEVER be alone (in the army you make friends for life)

anyway Winchester is a lovely place and the camp is pretty decent and has some great facilities for the recruits (i used to be an instructor there)

Your right he is a man now and you will see your boy turn into a independant man (so make him do his own ironing when he gets home hehe)

Just so you know you can ring the training team to see how he is getting on (many times did i talk to mums and dads on the phone) they will answer any questions you have ok

I'm a bit unsure about the 6 weeks coming home.
    He so far has been told he can only have a travel warrant home at xmas not the 6 weeks? Is this right I kno he will love to come home but it takes 2 days to get home and then 2 weeks to get back again is it worth it and how long is a long weekend?
    I have just been sent a web link to the army web showing the camp wow i'm impressed my son said "well smart" so thumbs up so far.
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • niccy
    niccy Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    have you checked all different train fares/discounts possible coz that sounds alot

and good luck to the boy
    living on the "edge"
  • cheepskate_2
    cheepskate_2 Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any flights that he can get, I know the RAF pay for flights but don't know if the army do .
    Again for the RAF they get 8 warrants which is 4 return trips in the time they are there, about 6 months or so , would assume they are all the same, raf, navy ,army.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure