Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Options

Comments

• Andyjrb
    Andyjrb Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    The Revolut app looks pretty good. Allows you to swap currencies instantly back and forth at a very similar rate highlighted on xe.com at the touch of button, seemingly at no cost. Therefore, everyone can easily become currency speculators, grabbing the best rates as they happen. If you want your GBP back out either 'send' it on or just head to a UK cash machine with the Mastercard.
  • capdan
    capdan Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have a Sainsburys Cash Passport which we frequently loaded with euros. We had no problem using mainly for petrol until we called into a Carrefour last year in France. We used the card in the main store and then went round and used Carrefour's card only petrol station.
    There was plenty of money to cover these on the preloaded card.
    Later that evening we went out to a restaurant and used the card again.It was declined which seemed unusual as you cannot overspend.
    Back at the hotel we checked the balance online and the petrol station amount was 50€ over what we had spent. Thinking it was a mistake i phoned Sainsburys contact numbers back in the UK. They said frequently businesses would add on to ensure the payment went through. It should be cleared and refunded a few days later.
    This is exactly what happened but seemed ridiculous that a
    pre- payment card could have that happen to it.
    It has now made us very wary of using it and wondering whether it is worth the bother.
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    capdan wrote: »
    We have a Sainsburys Cash Passport which we frequently loaded with euros. We had no problem using mainly for petrol until we called into a Carrefour last year in France. We used the card in the main store and then went round and used Carrefour's card only petrol station.
    There was plenty of money to cover these on the preloaded card.
    Later that evening we went out to a restaurant and used the card again.It was declined which seemed unusual as you cannot overspend.
    Back at the hotel we checked the balance online and the petrol station amount was 50€ over what we had spent. Thinking it was a mistake i phoned Sainsburys contact numbers back in the UK. They said frequently businesses would add on to ensure the payment went through. It should be cleared and refunded a few days later.
    This is exactly what happened but seemed ridiculous that a
    pre- payment card could have that happen to it.
    It has now made us very wary of using it and wondering whether it is worth the bother.

this seems to be a common problem with these cards , i used to sell them when i worked at sainsburys & wasnt until we got customer feedback that i started advising customers about this , was actually on a memo that was sent round to staff to ask customers where they are going when purchasing a card
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Andyjrb wrote: »
    The Revolut app looks pretty good. Allows you to swap currencies instantly back and forth at a very similar rate highlighted on xe.com at the touch of button, seemingly at no cost. Therefore, everyone can easily become currency speculators, grabbing the best rates as they happen. If you want your GBP back out either 'send' it on or just head to a UK cash machine with the Mastercard.

Seems that the rates aren't quite as good as you suggest.
  • PeteDoff
    PeteDoff Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    Stockleyo wrote: »
    Ordered a physical card as I am heading out to Europe this weekend.

Oh, which continent do you normally live on?
    Turning left avoids some of the idiots (only some)
  • Geoffrey_M
    Geoffrey_M Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 8 July 2015 at 9:46PM
    Options
    We Swap Card.

The first time I used it my sterling was returned to me as they could not match Euros to my request.

The second time I used it I found that the final rate I received was marginally lower than Fairfx.

Basically a lot of bother, as the exchange is not immediate, and the rate was not what I expected.
  • Geoffrey_M
    Options
    Revolut app is incompatible with an android device purchased in the last four months. Not exactly encouraging so I will not try on my other devices. First incompatible app I have come across.
  • dovermire
    dovermire Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Tried installing from the Android Playstore, installed OK, putting info in to register, used home phone number put in MSE code, set passcode and came up with errors not able to register my new account, uninstalled app and tried again - unsuccessful, uninstalled yet again.

Used my PC via MSE email link to website and downloaded app this way, install and registration was successful, only difference I used was my mobile number not my landline.

David
    Sarah x
  • trwblanchard
    Options
    Hi all,

Anyone have recent experience with the Travelex Global card? I'm travelling soon so don't have time to wait the 7-10 days for other cards, will need more currencies than Euros for an interrail trip. The MSE post says that this card has no ATM fees, but the Travelex site says they do (travelex.co.uk/services/cash-passport/globe-cash-passport/globe-cash-passport-fees-and-charges)

Has this changed recently or am I missing something?

p.s. This is my first post, apologies if this is the wrong thread
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Anyone have recent experience with the Travelex Global card? I'm travelling soon so don't have time to wait the 7-10 days for other cards, will need more currencies than Euros for an interrail trip. The MSE post says that this card has no ATM fees, but the Travelex site says they do (travelex.co.uk/services/cash-passport/globe-cash-passport/globe-cash-passport-fees-and-charges)

Has this changed recently or am I missing something?

p.s. This is my first post, apologies if this is the wrong thread

Travelex website is correct.

Metro Bank debit card if you are in or around London.

Kalixa Pay. Apply for it today, utilising a referral if you can and choose top up(using a debit card) with £10.. If it doesn't arrive in time, you will only have 'lost' £1.95.

I'm sure that the Interrailling trip wasn't conceived today. What were you thinking?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback