Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• PS Apologies for putting it on here but I can't find any way to open a new thread
  • I think people should know that, while FairFX's rates are very good, a FairFX pre-paid Euro card only lasts two years. Then you either have to renew it (with a fee for renewal, unless you load £150 worth onto it), 'redeem' it (which also attracts a fee), use up your balance, or lose what is left on your card!
    At least that is how I read the conditions, as I near the expiry date of my card.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    I'm going on a cruise, starting in Germany (euros) and visiting towns in Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia. I guess they are all different currencies. If I put money on a FAIRFX card
    (1) is it easy to use everywhere? and
    (2) can I use it for small amounts like postcards, cup of coffee, etc?

You'll need a card denominated in Pounds.

Kalixa Pay, FairFx Anywhere, Seasons Travel card....
  • oliviawood69
    oliviawood69 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 15 June 2015 at 12:19PM
    Hi

Could anybody advise me on the best prepaid card to use when backpacking around Asia? I already have a Halifax Clarity card but I need a backup in case this gets lost or stolen.

Ideally need free cash withdrawals abroad.

• NiftyDigits
    Hi

Could anybody advise me on the best prepaid card to use when backpacking around Asia? I already have a Halifax Clarity card but I need a backup in case this gets lost or stolen.

Ideally need free cash withdrawals abroad.

Kalixa Pay offers you the same rate as the Clarity for purchases and also allows you to use anything remaining on the card, Pound for Pound when back in the UK.

If you are under eighteen, get a FlexOne account and debit card
  • My Fairfx Euro card lasts for 3 years i.e. the expiry date is in 3 years time. Not sure where you are getting your information from.
  • YoBear
    YoBear Posts: 34 Forumite
    A great article but no mention or comparison of Metro Bank debit card against the others for use in the eurozone including eurozone countries that use their own currency (UK, Denmark, Croatia, Poland etc;) which a FairFx card would charge a 1.4% conversion for a currency that is not in euros while Metro Bank is free.

Metro Bank also use Mastercard rates and they do not charge for cash withdrawals AND issue cards on the spot which is a big win when you're due to leave on holiday within 10 days (prepay cards usually take 10 days to deliver).

The only real downside is you can't 'fix' your rate like a prepay card.

• NiftyDigits
    YoBear wrote: »
    A great article but no mention or comparison of Metro Bank debit card against the others for use in the eurozone including eurozone countries that use their own currency (UK, Denmark, Croatia, Poland etc;) which a FairFx card would charge a 1.4% conversion for a currency that is not in euros while Metro Bank is free.

Metro Bank also use Mastercard rates and they do not charge for cash withdrawals AND issue cards on the spot which is a big win when you're due to leave on holiday within 10 days (prepay cards usually take 10 days to deliver).

The only real downside is you can't 'fix' your rate like a prepay card.

Prepaid Travel Cards guide

There is a reason as to why threads have titles....
  • animalhouse
    animalhouse Posts: 122
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Google play store says that the revolut app is incompatible with my kindle fire phone. Does anyone know a way around this?
  • Applied for this card, topped up £15 but did not receive an additional £5. Ordered a physical card as I am heading out to Europe this weekend.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback