PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Hi all,

Sunday dinner was hm Stilton & potato soup with hm Stilton & bacon scones. I have put two portions of Stilton & bacon scone dough in the freezer. Will finish the soup on Monday with the sm bread DH bought on Friday. Lunches through the week will be cold meats, sm bread & pickles especially silverskin onions & peperonata (which I haven’t made yet:(). The lo double cream from the soup is being used up in my coffees! I also made choc chip biccies on Sunday so the biscuit tin is nearly full again:j

The menu plan is done up to Thursday.

My big plan is to have enough prepared food in the freezer so I don’t have to cook from scratch for a whole week! apart from veg, rice or pasta.

Thanks for all your inspiration everyone.

LFHW

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • klbooth
    klbooth Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, I have been following the thread for a while but not been posting but can see there is a wealth of knowledge within regarding using up random items. i have a lot of random items..... am slowly sorting through a storage area where I have all sorts of interesting things that I have bought in the dim and distant past for a reason that currently escapes me. A few I have unearthed today and was hoping for some pearls of wisdom if possible please. :)

Dried Aduki beans
    Linseed seeds
    Blue poppy seeds
    Sesame seeds
    Dried vegetable suet

I have started making my own muesli and just made up my second big container as it turns out I have all the types of ingredients squirreled away, lol. Can I use those seeds in a future batch do you think?

Thanks for any ideas thrown my way! :)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am sure the seeds would be fine in muesli - or you could make some form of seed cake?

We are, once again, having an "eat out of the freezer" week - it just will not go down.... I took my brother out for lunch today so i will have a freezer soup tonight, especially as it is just me eating.

After that, I am not sure - we have lots of soups, some chilli, leftover curry from eating out, a pizza bought for DS that he won't eat (got onions on it, to be fair, i know he doesn't like them I just hadn't noticed them); loads of lasagnes (frozen individually);....

Ah, heck, I've just remembered i promised DD a lentil bake tomorrow - that won't use anything up out of the freezer, although it will use some fridge stuff...

These freezers are the gift that keeps on giving
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The seeds would be great in hm bread.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You can whizz up sesame seeds and use instead of tahini in hummous. Takes quite a lot of whizzing though!

Had to waste the LO kedgeree frin lunchtime as it was so bland that I don't think it could be saved even by adding more curry powder - will use my own mix when I make it again rather than a ready made "curry powder".

Denise
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Hi all you lovely people.

Today, in between cleaning & decluttering, I forgot to take pork chops out of the freezer so my menu plan was no good:(
    What to do? Oh yes - make something up:o
    Out came the black olives, (too much air had got into the jar so tipped them out, washed them & the jar & then kept half of the olives out & returned the rest to the jar & covered in olive oil - back into fridge:T), capers, sun dried tomatoes in oil, 1 mushroom, third of a green pepper + tomato pur!e, garlic granules, salt & pepper.
    Finely chopped all the ingredients & thoroughly mixed & tasted - too bland, so added a couple of squirts of tomato pur!e, sprinkle of garlic granules - mixed thoroughly & tasted again,then salt & pepper to taste. Emptied a tin of tuna in oil into saucepan & added my concoction - gently warmed through whilst I cooked the spaghetti. Drained spaghetti & added to tuna sauce, mixed thoroughly & served. Absolutely delicious:drool::drool: (Wrote down the ingredients in my notebook but almost certainly will not be able to replicate:o))

From deciding what to cook to sitting down and eating - 35 mins:j

Back to the menu plan tomorrow - pork chops, use up last of my potatoes & finish carrots, parsnips & leeks. Thursday - lasagne & peperonata with two person portion for freezer.

Will soon have enough enough meals in the freezer to not have to cook from scratch for a week:j

:(DH has almost emptied the biscuit tin, so need to make more biscuits & probably an everyday fruit cake.

LFHW

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am seriously impress Mrs SD you concocted something nice to eat out of what you had to hand well done
    Today being the start of Lent my biscuits and cake are off my menu !!! how will I cope without my favourite gingers nuts to nibble with a cuppa Oh well its only 40 odd days I dare say I shall survive .I will have to think of something else to nibble on :).My friend left a message on my landline yesterday apparently our 'Don't-know-where-we-are-going' spring holiday is going to be in Warwickshire this year.Every year she shuts her eyes and waves her finger over a map and where it lands is where we have a weeks break.We have been to some lovely parts of the Uk over the past 12 years.Her OH spends a bit of time with his job flitting around the world so we have a weeks break whilst he is away. All I know is its south of Stratford-upon-Avon.I am off out with my DGS today so I may learn more tonight .She books a rented cottage, and we explore the local countryside for a week. Last year we were in Lancashire and had a great time.
    Right time to get a move on as I am taking the boys to Hastings for the day :) cold and possibly wet later but it gets us all out of the house for a bit DD has the day off so she will come along as well

Have a good day chums

JackieO xx
  • ma-ri-ella
    Options
    just been reading back. Sounds lovely with the holiday - my friend and i used to do something similar but been missed out a few years due to work commitments - ah well can get back into it now. :P

Trying to use stuff up but have a confession to make- i don't have any herbs or spices at all in my cupboard. No flour. No eggs. Very few tinned veg.No lentils . No cooking oils.
    Hoping to build this up but gradually in my budget so my question is what do people consider essential herbs and spices like if you had to pick say top 3 most used? sunflower oil or vegetable /olive oil - been using my dairy free spread on frying pan which works ok
    Ive seen eggs 15 pack for £1 at farmfoods but its pretty miserable for walking that way so no eggs in meal plan next few weeks
    £365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
    20,000 step a day challenge
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    We are, once again, having an "eat out of the freezer" week - it just will not go down.... I took my brother out for lunch today

That'll have made some room! :rotfl:

(You must have a massive freezer... there's no way I could fit my brother in mine :D )
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Ma-ar-ella - it would depend on what sort of meals you like. For me it would be spices over herbs as we eat a lot of spicy food. I'd choose cumin, corriander & paprika.

Denise
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure