PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64870280.html

Tatty looking property but why would you put your manky battered frying pan on show?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64870280.html

Tatty looking property but why would you put your manky battered frying pan on show?

No lampshades either. It doesn't look very nice and it is overpriced.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    We don't have lampshades on most of our bulbs. We've just never felt the need for them. Are naked bulbs bad?

They are if you are trying to sell a house. It makes the house look as if you don't care and want to live in it as cheaply as possible and it makes buyers ask themselves what else have you done cheaply.

I am a landlord and all of our rented properties have light fittings. Not lampshades but light fittings installed by an electrician. I think if you look at photos of show homes they tend to have light fittings in the main rooms rather than just lampshades.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    White walls is one of those things that looks very nice in property magazines, but is awful in reality. We painted one room white thinking it would look nice. It does, for a couple of days, then it starts sending your eyes funny. The room is now one of the many shades of off-white. White wallpaper seems to be okay, because the pattern breaks it up a bit, but I'll never have smooth white walls again.

(I accept that this may just be one of my "quirks" and some may actually enjoy white walls.)

:rotfl:Well - in my case - I dont think its a case so much of "enjoy" white walls - but they "work" imo.

I've come to realise that I do lust madly after places that are pretty/have character/etc/etc - and then make decisions based on what will "work" imo in a property (ie be logical/useful/easy to maintain and do housework in). Probably makes me a right philistine re housing:rotfl: and does have the unfortunate side-effect of it's not that likely I'd have a house I actually "love" (even if I had the money to be able to afford it):(.

To me - white walls "work". Paint everything the same shade everywhere and one doesnt even have to think about it re what colour to have or what goes with what. It's boring/standard/etc/etc in many ways - but it goes with everything/looks modern/etc/etc.

Though I do choose a "shade" of white and certainly wouldnt use "brilliant white".

One day...I may just decide on a bit of individuality and colour:rotfl:
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I reckon this is what houses would look like if Apple did interiors.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47967024.html

I rather like that look. At first I thought it would be hard to keep the place tidy, but given the price actually I wouldn't have any other possessions to clutter the place up with.
  • Contessa
    Contessa Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    :rotfl:Well - in my case - I dont think its a case so much of "enjoy" white walls - but they "work" imo.

I've come to realise that I do lust madly after places that are pretty/have character/etc/etc - and then make decisions based on what will "work" imo in a property (ie be logical/useful/easy to maintain and do housework in). Probably makes me a right philistine re housing:rotfl: and does have the unfortunate side-effect of it's not that likely I'd have a house I actually "love" (even if I had the money to be able to afford it):(.

To me - white walls "work". Paint everything the same shade everywhere and one doesnt even have to think about it re what colour to have or what goes with what. It's boring/standard/etc/etc in many ways - but it goes with everything/looks modern/etc/etc.

Though I do choose a "shade" of white and certainly wouldnt use "brilliant white".

One day...I may just decide on a bit of individuality and colour:rotfl:

We used to have individuality and colour years ago-and we loved it!

The house I live in now had plain white painted walls. I'd come to hate wallpaper as I found it hard work to strip and repaper. When I moved in I had the house redecorated throughout but just in an off white shade. Some may think it boring but I liked the sense of light and space, in contrast to the bold but dark colour schemes of yesteryear. Of course, now I don't like the fact that every mark shows(!) but it's easy to clean or touch up.

Anyway, it's my house and my garden so I've done just what I want.
  • System
    Options
    My walls are painted in Dulux Natural Hessian. It's a warm neutral tone which goes well with browns and creams in my lounge, dark orange on my landing and dark red and purple in the bedrooms
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    Options
    White or preferably off white walls work fine if there the furnishings are stylish and there are lively accents. The house that sparked the discussion is neither, it's just dead.
  • System
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    White or preferably off white walls work fine if there the furnishings are stylish and there are lively accents. The house that sparked the discussion is neither, it's just dead.

White walls + white furniture + white home accessories = cold, depressing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport