PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I'm intrigued by the over glasses/light blocking thing, Kittie! You sound really enthusiastic. Have a good day.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    My sleeping pattern is back right on track, thanks to a red 15w bulb and yellow/amber overglasses. I start with the overglasses at 8pm. All about blue blocking. Red bulb is in my bedside lamp and is so good that I have ordered a 40w orange bulb for my snug, I`ll be able to read without my overglasses. I even watched Victoria in bed, wearing my overglasses and had the full 8 hours. Nuff on that
    I'm intrigued by the over glasses/light blocking thing, Kittie! You sound really enthusiastic. Have a good day.
    I'm intrigued too! Write on that as much as you like kittie, including where you bought the stuff :) I've been reading recently about the long term effects of lack of sleep, and frankly I need all the help I can get.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,148 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I'm intrigued too! Write on that as much as you like kittie, including where you bought the stuff :) I've been reading recently about the long term effects of lack of sleep, and frankly I need all the help I can get.

My sleep stats make me tired... my goal is 5 hours and I rarely achieve it. However the data does suggest that I sleep better when I run. (It also suggests I sleep better after work travel, but I think I'll ignore those data points as they are due to a combination of jet lag and total exhaustion).
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My sleep improved when i improved my diet. I now usually get 8 hours a night (unless i've had an amount of alcohol). I am grumpy if i get fewer than 7.

In the summer, the early light wakens me, but i use an airline issue sleep mask when i first 'come to' which sends me back off.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kondod a pair of curtains that were supposed to be joyous but once up, bugged the bejesus out of me. Some "new to me" via freecycle ones have been put up in their place and whilst I wasn't keen on the colour, now they're up, they look great.

Whilst I had the small step ladder out I took all the nets down and cleaned all the insides of the windows....all made much easier by the amount of stuff that has left this house! I'm treating the nets to a sachet of whitening goo too.

Around 50 bricks and a couple of large paving slabs left on Saturday with friends who needed them, nice clear corner in the garden now. I also sorted a few bits for charity, clothes wise but decided that I'd give them a try on the bay of e first...£25 in my pocket (the charity shops have done well from me but funds are short this month). A few items listed on the local FB site netted another £25 which is fab.

As it was a lovely balmy night here last night we kondod the last bag of charcoal and had some amazing BBQ burgers whilst sitting by the fire pit and watching the cats chase moths and crane flys. All made very joyous by the fact that the kitchen didn't smell of cooking burgers
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ok, I have just come back in for coffee and my berries/nuts/yoghurt as I split my breakfast up in order to keep me sustained and supplied with protein on a constant level. I have moved over 1/2 tonne of pellet bags this morning and about the same amount of carving wood. What I am saying is that a good nights sleep plus nutrients will provide the energy for a lot of work,unless there is an underlying cause

Re the sleep: I have worked very hard on this, taking it back to basics. In the very old days, people worked and went to bed depending on sunlight and candles. They went very early and woke up for a couple of hours when they re-kindled the fire, made bread and made babies, then they would go back to sleep. These two sleeps were very commonplace and is in dna, hence a lot of people waking around 2-4am every night. It was happening to me but was no good to me because I was getting so sleepy during daylight hours.

Thinking cap on and harking back to my physics and blue light, now emitted after sundown by all lighting devices and all screens. This stops melatonin doing its job. Ideal is natural daylight and being outside for a while, toiling outside in the fields, then coming in, eating and calming down for sleep with no blue light

A yellow or amber filter will block blue light from getting through to the eyes and a red or orange bulb will not give out blue light. I went on ebay/amazon and eventually found some overglasses called solarshield, I bought them in yellow and in amber. The amber is very soothing during bright sunlight as well as blue blocking. The yellow are very good for me to do things like knitting under a bright light (lots of blue), reading or screen watching. All without most of the blue light. Also a very good comfortable fit were some I bought from RNIB shop

The red 15w bulb came on saturday, so I wore my filters from 8pm and switched my red lamp on, brushing my teeth via a red light. Glasses off, bed at 10 and miraculous sleep until 5.30, a little wakeful at 3 but that was ingrained habit. Sunday night, tinted overglasses on at 8, went up at 8.45, sat in cosy bed and watched Victoria through yellow tinted glasses in bedroom, convinced that I would not sleep. Woke at 6. The only light on upstairs was that red 15w lamp

All in all, I am convinced that this is working for me and will work for anyone. It means that I can watch tv, go on the computer, read, knit, make a drink as long as the light remains filtered and the easiest way is via the specs
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Thanks, Kittie. I was listening to the radio this morning and there was an item about sleep and how we sleep on average an hour less than in the 1940s (I think) and also how important sleep is to health. I won't use the phone or tablet in the bedroom but I am guilty of spending time on it just before bed, which isn't good, I know. That's really interesting, thanks for explaining.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all - greenbee, I know what you mean about ignoring spikes of sleep from exhaustion, its not a good thing. VJsmum, a better diet and not too much light, absolutely, those are good things.

Kittie, I've read about segmented sleep, seems a very natural thing when you think about it, so I don't *worry* about it now, thank heavens. Your last sentence sums it up really: "It means that I can watch tv, go on the computer, read, knit, make a drink as long as the light remains filtered and the easiest way is via the specs".

If I can kondo lack of sleep, I'll be a new person. My diet is pretty good (though I need to find a better way to eat nuts, as I currently have a broken tooth :( maybe blitzing them and using them in a sauce would be the way to go).

Arthritis does give me a few problems sleeping - left hip and right shoulder, which has been operated on, but if I can ramp up everything else, that will help enormously.
    ==========
    As far as actual kondo goes, great job today with a visit to the tip, helped by my sister: the old cushions and the old sofa are gone from my house, expanding both the living room and the second bedroom. Plus two old, very manky tubs from the garden, with a couple of small bags of garden waste. Really pleased!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I thought that my garage contents would be easy to move, I was so kidding myself. I am just finished, at least now it is a workshop of sorts in that I can get to all the machines in there but I am going to have a panic at the sheer amount of justin stuff. I am going to face it head on tomorrow as now I am cream crackered

Tomorrow will be a shelf at a time, all those cans of wd40, 3 in1 oils, wood dyes and polishes.wood glues, clamps, 8 containers of de-icer and that is only the tip of the iceberg. Large boxes of electricals like lamps of all sorts, extensions of all lengths. Not to mention all the power tools. Arghh, no wonder men find it so hard to clear their stuff, it is all useful for justin. It was so much easier to do all my indoors crafting stuff
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    [/I]If I can kondo lack of sleep, I'll be a new person. My diet is pretty good (though I need to find a better way to eat nuts, as I currently have a broken tooth :( maybe blitzing them and using them in a sauce would be the way to go).

Home made nut butters, Kc?

Great results on getting all that stuff out - well done on that :T

xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport