Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means

Options

Comments

• PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :hello: orangefairy thanks for popping by. I remember you from the small things thread a few years ago, well done on being DF. (I have changed my username since :o - sorry to confuse)

Today listed 10 things on fleabay and resisted 2 more. Sold one from last week to - posted one that sold yesterday - walked to the post office too :)

Spent day at home not spending money :D well hubby went and did grocery shop, on list so all good there :) did lots round the house, new lights and sockets and switches in lounge and dining room.

I painted some sample paints on plain paper and hung them on the line to dry. I now have them on one wall, will move them around to decide which wall we want to put colour on.

We've hung our old curtains back up as a short term measure so we're not living in a goldfish bowl as we have lovely big window. Plus I can now take a decent picture to sell them :p
  • OrangeFairy
    OrangeFairy Posts: 2,630 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well hello again....I had thought of the small things thread last week and thought I should check if it was still going

With the month I may have ahead getting back to watching the small things

Perhaps I'll pop on over tomorrow morning to start off my week

OF X
    Orange Fairy
    House Purchased April 19 :) CC1=? CC2=? DH CC= Mortgage Overpay = £0 Savings = £0 Xmas savings = £0 Weightloss = 0 lb

• HelleBelle
    HelleBelle Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    Hi!
    We're also extending our house this year! Like you, increased mortgage (although we also managed to reduce the term and get a better rate which softened the impact!).
    I like your target of amount to raise on fleabay - I really need a kick up the behind to up my game.
    New total: £24,006 :(
    I will do this.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Hi HelleBelle :hello: lovely someone else doing the same as us :D have you started your work yet? What you having done?

We too are planning on reducing our term and the rate will be better then now so overall repayments will be the same, however, appreciate we owe more so will be overpaying like mad at every opportunity :)

I've sold another item on fleabay and had bids on 2 more. Every liitle helps. Our lounge is now totally painted white after being replastered - looks lovely even in its current state. Need to look at some nearly new sales to see when I can sell some more of our kiddie things. Local one is not until September and whilst I will do that one, I'd like to do another one beforehand. Speak to DH to check he is OK to sell 2 lamps on FB. Will make a pad to the CC today too.

Right off to do packed lunches and other morning stuff before heading off to work
  • sugar-walsh
    sugar-walsh Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello!
    Just been having a quick look - I know this sounds stupid, but how do I subscribe to your diary? I keep commenting on peoples threads then totally loosing them or forgetting which ones!

Many thanks
    £2699 credit card (£3848 01.02.23)
    £1023 Ski fund (cash back, interest, ebay sales only). Used in April 23
    £39.75 Italy fund (cash back, interest, ebay sales only
  • HelleBelle
    HelleBelle Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    We're in a 3 bed semi on a corner plot. We're going for a 2 storey side extension which will give us a master bedroom with en suite on the top floor. Ground floor will provide an extra room, a cloakroom/wetroom and knocking through the kitchen to make a kitchen diner.

Kids currently share a bedroom as the 3rd bedroom is teeny tiny so will give them a bedroom each which is much needed. My boy is 3 and my girl is 6! She really needs her own space now and the temporary measure of wardrobes down the middle isn't really working.

The extra room downstairs will be for an au pair which will end up savings us massively on our childcare bills. Last month childcare was £1100. Estimated au pair costs: £100 per week plus food so I reckon £500-£550 taking into account costs of an extra person in the house.

We're just about to commence planning. Guy is here at the moment taking all the measurements etc! So exciting!!

How about you? What are you having done and what stage are you at? How are you finding it all?
    New total: £24,006 :(
    I will do this.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Hello!
    Just been having a quick look - I know this sounds stupid, but how do I subscribe to your diary? I keep commenting on peoples threads then totally loosing them or forgetting which ones!

Many thanks

Hi :hello: right at the top of the thread there is a subscribe or thread tools button, can't remember which, but click there and then you can just go to your subscriptions and find ones you have subscribed to. They will be in bold if there has been a post since you last logged on :D
  • sugar-walsh
    sugar-walsh Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks, PurpleFairy, I have subscribed.
    £2699 credit card (£3848 01.02.23)
    £1023 Ski fund (cash back, interest, ebay sales only). Used in April 23
    £39.75 Italy fund (cash back, interest, ebay sales only
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    HelleBelle wrote: »
    We're in a 3 bed semi on a corner plot. We're going for a 2 storey side extension which will give us a master bedroom with en suite on the top floor. Ground floor will provide an extra room, a cloakroom/wetroom and knocking through the kitchen to make a kitchen diner.

Kids currently share a bedroom as the 3rd bedroom is teeny tiny so will give them a bedroom each which is much needed. My boy is 3 and my girl is 6! She really needs her own space now and the temporary measure of wardrobes down the middle isn't really working.

The extra room downstairs will be for an au pair which will end up savings us massively on our childcare bills. Last month childcare was £1100. Estimated au pair costs: £100 per week plus food so I reckon £500-£550 taking into account costs of an extra person in the house.

We're just about to commence planning. Guy is here at the moment taking all the measurements etc! So exciting!!

How about you? What are you having done and what stage are you at? How are you finding it all?

Ooh how exciting :D Sounds very similar to ours, we have a 3 bed semi too, but with a relatively wide (compared to most round here) plot. Were planning on a 2 storey side extension, through room (for a new lounge diner) plus utility and loo downstairs and then bedroom and ensuite. upstairs. We've had first stage plans drawn up just need to do the next step. Can't work out what is best - builder for 'rough' quote and then get their guidance on proper plans for submission to council or call an architect. I'm thinking builder first. What did you do HelleBelle?

On other things today, I posted one thing I sold on fleabay. I have put washing to come on cheap overnight, not sure I'll get it out in the rain tomorrow though. Few watchers on fleabay goodies too. Might try and sort 3 big bags of charity shop donations tomorrow night in to some sort of order.

Also checked CC I paid off earlier in the week and it is showing zero :j:j
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    I've had a lovely day. Saw bestie for first time in months :T although smallest was very clingy and a but under weather, she's sleeping now, hopefully that'll be the best medicine.

No pad to cc today as no movement so funds the same. May make one tomorrow either way, just like nice round numbers :D still on the hunt for fleabay items and making myself not look whilst I'm there :o

Lovely tea as a family, smalls had lo bolegnase and DH and I had hairy biker curry :D we shared left over chapatis and a quick yogurt dip with lo mint :T followed by crumble with previously frozen stewed apple and some frozen crumble mix. Still glad enough topping to put back in freezer. Great yo eat together in the week, never happens.

Booked some additional insurance for holiday as per martins advice :money: move money from small holiday fund :D

Tomorrow will get some more paint samples ( well papers anyway) won't get paint until we've narrowed it down.

Weather atrocious today so washing on airer, will leave a load tonight in case it's the same tomorrow. Snuggled under a rug as rest of house in bed :) need to get info together to call mortgage people, will try and do this tomorrow.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback