PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• Lindagreenacre
    Options
    We made sure that we own the house as tenants in common. That way, if one dies and the other has to go into care, only half the property can be taken into account when paying for fees and the rest will eventually go to our son. Of course it all falls apart if we both go into care.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    And to think I always thought Bexley village was very conservative (as well as Conservative) and a bit up itself.

It was and as far as I know still, is Ted Heath was the local MP for years. My children went to University School there, and not long after they left the head ran away with the school fee's :D:D:D so bad lad's abound even in the poshest places.Dorothy Squires used th live there with Rodger Moore when they were married, and often fell out of the pub in the village feeling a bit 'emotional' :):):) Funny little place to live really, but great fun, and it had some lovely deli shops ,most of whom are long gone now sadly.I used to take my children to the stables on a Sunday morning for riding and crossing the North Cray Road was dicing with death on horseback against the cars that whizzed down to Ruxley Corner :eek::eek:

JackieO xxx
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all.

Bright and cold and I am reluctant to put my feet out of bed but needs must. I may be having Pickle and her friend here this morning. DS2 is taking turns with said friend's mother in having both girls during half term and he has something that must be done this morning and isn't sure if friend's mother is free to have the girls today.

I hope you were reading that carefully. There will be questions later.

So, today's activities are fluid to say the least. It will be easier if I come back later and report on what I've done. You will have to try to contain your impatience.

In the meantime........

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Lol Monna, I think I've grasped it.
    I gave all my good jewellery away when we moved on to the boat, I had enough to give a nice ring to four of the granddaughters, my eternity ring is promised to the granddaughter that shares my name. Some people were surprised that I gave a gold ring to a foster granddaughter as they don't class her as family. I do class her as family.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ever since I was a little girl, my auntie (who had no children) told me she would leave me all her jewelry when she died. As more girls came along (for many years I was the only granddaughter on that side of the family), my share went down.. :rotfl:

As we got older she started to give us individual pieces that she thought we would like. She got lung cancer and went into hospital at one point during which her home was burgled and they took all remaining jewelry.. :(:mad: She didn't live much longer - the insurance paid out the value of what was stolen and her siblings (who inherited) agreed that the nieces should have the insurance payout for the jewelry. Not quite the same as having her precious pieces - so whilst i berated her at the time for giving it away while she was alive, I am so glad she did as I have a few treasured pieces that she chose for me.

We bought a couple of pictures with the insurance payout, the rest we spent over the years when we wanted to be extravagant - i.e. if we went to a posher restaurant than usual we'd say "It's ok, we'll pay the difference out of Barb's money". I think we spent Barb's money many times over - and still occasionally use it as an excuse to push the boat out. Barb would have loved this - she was a pub landlady of the old order and very much a 'bon viveur' prone to extravagance. i can't think of any better way to remember her.

I am much better today, thank you all for your kindness - and plain speaking yesterday :)
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    We haven't got wills, because we haven't got anything to leave :D
    all our savings are in cash, a car and a bike. Daughter gets my jewellery. Life is so much simpler when you have less.;)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wot - no hidden hoard of Jelly Babies Mar????
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Silvasava you have got to be kidding :rotfl::rotfl: They have a very short life expectancy up here!
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a job to make them last two days here mar.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do hope you're not turning INTO the elephant Mar ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback