Do I need a SkyQ box/subscription?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    SD content may look terrible - I've not heard about that; and it might be an issue for me - BBC local news (BBC South in my area) doesn't broadcast in HD, so after looking at Fiona Bruce on Sky 115, I have to switch to 101 for the lovely Sally Taylor - and you think she may look worse via SkyQ?

Try it yourself by switching between channels 964 & 101 now, we have HD+ & a good Sony 50" HD TV and there's a very noticeable difference while watching Country File. That's probably only going to get worse up-scaled to 4K although this will depend on the content (I did say generally).
  • The_Bookman
    Options
    Update: I've just been speaking to a Sky (forgive the oxymoron) Expert, and have been advised that if I were to get Sky Q, I would no longer be able to use my Sky+HD boxes in e.g. guest bedroom - I can't have both in the house at the same time. Is this correct?
    If in doubt - do something. (With fond memories of Harry Chapin)
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 February 2018 at 2:24PM
    Options
    Update: I've just been speaking to a Sky (forgive the oxymoron) Expert, and have been advised that if I were to get Sky Q, I would no longer be able to use my Sky+HD boxes in e.g. guest bedroom - I can't have both in the house at the same time. Is this correct?

Yes - when you get SkyQ they change the dish, which then only links to the SkyQ box. (I'm sure someone else will pop up with the technical details!)

We have our main SkyQ in the lounge, with wireless Q mini boxes in the kitchen and the bedroom. The ipad is also linked.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Not quite true - if they fit a hybrid LNB to the dish, you can still have both Q and "standard" HD feeds -albeit free to air channels only - the BIG advantage of this set up is that if you cancel Q they want their box back -but you can still watch free to air stuff on the HD box:)
  • Silvertabby
    edited 11 February 2018 at 4:45PM
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Not quite true - if they fit a hybrid LNB to the dish, you can still have both Q and "standard" HD feeds -albeit free to air channels only - the BIG advantage of this set up is that if you cancel Q they want their box back -but you can still watch free to air stuff on the HD box:)

Ok, but if the bedroom tv already has freeview than why bother? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you would be able to use the old HD box to record programmes - even freeview - without a Sky subscription.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, but if the bedroom tv already has freeview than why bother? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you would be able to use the old HD box to record programmes - even freeview - without a Sky subscription.

Fine if you have an terrestrial aerial feed to the bedroom TV for Freeview - but many people don't. :) If you already have the Sky cables then why not use them??
    Agreed that you can't record programmes on the old HD box without a + subscription. If you need to record then need to replace Sky box with Freesat+ box eg Humax
    The key issue is the LNB on the dish.If you "allow" the fitter to use a Q only LNB then you are at the mercy of Murdoch's Evil Empire:rotfl:
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    Fine if you have an terrestrial aerial feed to the bedroom TV for Freeview - but many people don't. :)
    Posted by brewerdave
    Our terrestrial aerial is in the attic, and the lead goes through the built in wardrobe. Perhaps we're lucky to live in a good reception area?
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I also ask a question about sky Q please.I did try to discuss it with the nice chap from Sky this morning but he might as well have been in a different country.I could hardly understand his broad Scottish language !
    We are having a 2tb Q box in a few months time.Been quoted £12 per month extra.As we do not want a second box(ie the multiroom subscription) but will be given a free mini box,are we going to be charged for something we won't use or is that the only option?.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options
    Froglet wrote: »
    Can I also ask a question about sky Q please.I did try to discuss it with the nice chap from Sky this morning but he might as well have been in a different country.I could hardly understand his broad Scottish language !
    We are having a 2tb Q box in a few months time.Been quoted £12 per month extra.As we do not want a second box(ie the multiroom subscription) but will be given a free mini box,are we going to be charged for something we won't use or is that the only option?.

You say a free mini box, did you ask if it was free of a monthly charge (is that what you meant by free ), maybe ring again and ask again.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    Options
    Froglet wrote: »
    we do not want a second box(ie the multiroom subscription) but will be given a free mini box,are we going to be charged for something we won't use or is that the only option?.
    That does not sound correct. The mini-box is only available with a Multi-Room subscription. Are you sure you aren't being offered free installation on the assumption you will take Multi-Room?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure