Ombudsman

Options
Long story I won't bore you with but a quick question! am making a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman about something that's gone one with one of my credit cards. I submitted my complaint and evidence etc online on their website on Tuesday. They gave me a temporary reference number which I stupidly didn't write down as I expected an email, but since then I haven't had any emails about it. Is this OK? Does it normally take a little while to hear back, not even getting a confirmation or anything? Thanks in advance to anyone who has experience with this to put my mind at ease :)

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The card provider's complaints procedure will be detailed on their website. Usually something along the following lines:

1. We will try and resolve it straight away.
    2. If we can't, we will acknowledge within 5 days.
    3. (Optional step - we may give you an update after 4 weeks)
    4. We will resolve within 8 weeks (ie final resolution), or we may ask for more time if we can't.

You can generally only ask the Ombudsman to get involved at step 4.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Their FAQs here say this
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/faq/answers/complaints_a6.html
    This means we can sort out some complaints within just a few weeks - and around two thirds of cases within three months.. But some disputes can take longer. For example, because of the large number of people asking for our help, complaints about mis-sold payment protection insurance (PPI) are likely to take up to two years to sort out.
    Complaints can take longer if you or the business raise particularly complex issues - or you want a final decision from an ombudsman.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family