Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    So chuffed for you that you have achieved so much over the holidays.
    Be proud :)
    How many voids do you have?

Thanks Beanie :). We have four voids and I've done most of the large one. But I've also got rid of most of the books that have been lying aorund in boxes in my bedroom and under the attic stairs :). So I have done a lot. It's been hard work though!
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Nicnak wrote: »
    Sounds like everything is planned out and you have sorted in your head your plan of action.

You have decluttered so much as well. Amazing! xx

Thanks Nicnak :). I do have firm plans for increasing our savings and as long as DH and I can keep earning money then we can make it happen :). Paying off our debts and getting the PPI has made this possible and I don't want to waste the chances we've been given :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Willowtree222
    Willowtree222 Posts: 7,696 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Nicnak :). I do have firm plans for increasing our savings and as long as DH and I can keep earning money then we can make it happen :). Paying off our debts and getting the PPI has made this possible and I don't want to waste the chances we've been given :).

I can understand that. More than anyone I 'know' you have had it really tough, and are now hopefully at the other side. Don't forget those treats though. I love the £30 treat money you have decided on. Make sure you do give yourselves little luxuries, you really do deserve those as well. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thank you Nicnak :).
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Over the Easter holidays I did achieve a lot. I finished my college assignment, helped DH with work, got through my mum's interment, had a lovely family day at the zoo and did masses of de-cluttering.

However there are some things that I didn't manage to fit in so I need to get those done soon. I need to:

- Book myself a hair cut for a trim
    - Book DH an optician appointment
    - Book the whole family dental appointments
    - Ring tax credits re my April pay rise and the H@lifax PPI cheques
    - Calculate our latest VAT bill with DH

These are all important things which I meant to do over the Easter holidays, but de-cluttering fever took over so I did that instead. I wanted to list the things here so that I remember to do them.

I also need to add a new item to the list which is ring the travel clinic for DS2 as he wants to go to South America next!

I'll try and get a few of the things on the list done this week, but I've only got two days as we're going away on Friday afternoon, so I may not get many things done. Hopefully next week I can clear the list completely.
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Great to read that DH's meeting went well. I'm gobsmacked and full of admiration that you made 3 bus trips to charity shops. You most certainly did deserve that latte :T

I'm glad Beanie asked about the voids, I didn't want to appear nosy but I have been sat here thinking just how many voids does HHD have in her house :rotfl:

I like the plans you have for your wages, especially the treats pot - you know how I love a pot :D xx
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    teafor2 wrote: »
    Great to read that DH's meeting went well. I'm gobsmacked and full of admiration that you made 3 bus trips to charity shops. You most certainly did deserve that latte :T

I'm glad Beanie asked about the voids, I didn't want to appear nosy but I have been sat here thinking just how many voids does HHD have in her house :rotfl:

I like the plans you have for your wages, especially the treats pot - you know how I love a pot :D xx

Thanks TF2 :). It is only four voids but one of them is enormous :rotfl:. I was determined to get that clutter out of the house :rotfl:.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You are a decluttering queen!
    Good to hear of your savings plan. All sounding good HH :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thank you DIA :).
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I've woken up to light rain today and it's very gloomy. I'm hoping the rain stays light otherwise it will be wet playtime on my first day back :eek:.

It feels strange to be going back to work after two weeks holiday, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I get there. It will be nice to see the children again (most of them anyay ;)) and get social contact from seeing the other staff. I can wear my new smaller tabard too that I bought in the holidays :).

I don't think I could cope I was at home all the time and never saw anyone but DH and the DC, especially with DS3 going back to uni as I'll miss chatting to him. I love being with my family but I need more social contact than they can provide.

When I get home I need to do more laundry for DS3 to take back to uni. He will either be away for three weeks or seven weeks :huh:. Apparantly his course finishes after three weeks, but he may stay on longer to spend time with his friends. I do wonder what he's paying £9000 a year for sometimes :mad:. So I will get to see him again sooner than in previous terms :).

I'd also like to do some hoovering when I get back and iron DH's shirt for tomorrow (he's visiting the new customer every day this week!).

I hope everyone has a good Wednesday despite the rain.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure