Options

Comments

• jayok
    jayok Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Archna wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]The Budget Airline Charges Quiz...[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [FONT=&quot]How much does a £1 each way flight cost?[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Budget airlines' supposed 'extra' charges are nearly obscene. This week we've a new guide (see below) to beat them, inc anonymous tips from an easyjet air steward. To prove the point...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Quick Quiz. How much does a £1 flight cost?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

A family of three get Ryanair £1 each way return tickets to Europe. They pay on a debit card, take a suitcase each (not pre-booked) and check-in at the airport. Now, guesstimate the total 'additional' charges.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Take a pause and answer aloud before reading on...
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The answer... [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The actual total is a shocking £396, that's £6 return for flights and £390 for ‘added-extras’. This includes £10 return each for debit card payment (£30 total), £40 return (£120) per suitcase, and airport check-in’s £80 return (£240).
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The system’s a farce...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Airlines are playing fast and loose. The injustice isn't about the cost, but that these charges are excluded from the advertised price. How can checking-in be an 'added' extra when it’s unavoidable.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It's time for legislation legislation that the advertised price MUST include paying and online check-in; other main extras like baggage should be listed alongside in the same font.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]New Guide:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Beat airline charges

[threadbnner]box[/threadbanner]
    [/FONT]

This is clearly gutter sensationalist stuff (as he types with a £1 flight to Dublin lined up tomorrow morning!)
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're only ripped off if you allow yourself to be. There are plenty of ways to avoid the 'extras' which are very well highlighted here on MSE. It's all in the consumers own hands, not the airlines.

MSE getting far too sensational here ! Should really know better, but maybe the wording was used to provoke a response ?
  • Olugbo
    Options
    Another rip off from Ryanair that doesnt get much publicity. Apparently the online check in facility is only available if you have an EU passport. I hold a non-EU passport and not only am I forced to check in at the desk but I am also charged even though i have access to the means & technology to check in online. I have raised this many a time with the check in staff but their hands are tied. Why not be upfront and charge customers on a fair and equal basis? Absolutely sick of Ryanair and their sneaky fees, charges and crusty planes!
  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    edited 5 August 2009 at 12:47AM
    Options
    Sensationalist, lazy and poor journalism should have no place on MSE. I do wonder why ML has allowed it?
  • emmamgw
    Options
    Don't ever pay extra to preboard on Easyjet. I sat and watched at the gate as the announcement was made for preboards. 85% of passengers went to the gate and all hell was let lose!! All these people had paid extra and everyone boarded at the same time. Also, they coach abroad so everyone boards at the same time.............. Absolute rip off. If they are to have preboard they should limit the number sold and tell passengers it's not available abroad. Just another money making con. I work at an airport so this is genuine information.
  • Bengt
    Bengt Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    Olugbo wrote: »
    Another rip off from Ryanair that doesnt get much publicity. Apparently the online check in facility is only available if you have an EU passport. I hold a non-EU passport and not only am I forced to check in at the desk but I am also charged even though i have access to the means & technology to check in online. I have raised this many a time with the check in staff but their hands are tied. Why not be upfront and charge customers on a fair and equal basis? Absolutely sick of Ryanair and their sneaky fees, charges and crusty planes!
    Not true anymore...
    Holders of non-EU passports can use online check in, but must go to the check in desks to verify passport and visas.
  • Bengt
    Bengt Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    This is a silly thread started by the original poster. How could the miss to book cases when booking. It is very clear when you are asked how many cases you are bringing with you.
    Why did you not add 5 kg overweight as well? It would not have made it less relevant. It is already totally irrelevant...
  • SomethingWitty_2
    Options
    Woah....

Before anyone else cries "sensationalist journalism", no one is disagreeing that you can "play the system right back" and avoid many of the charges.

However, the point is this

1. These charges are not as transparent as they could be. Firstly - How many people book one way fares alone? How many will end up paying £1? etc I could go on. In other industries (e,g broadband etc) this sort of "low price lead in" is rightly frowned upon- someone explain to me why making this obvious from the start is a bad thing. I'm sure we're all very clever and a big clap to all those who can read the t and cs etc, but shouldn't it be clearer and less obviously hidden?? Don't go round telling me they "need" to display the prices in such an obscure way

2. I fail to see how anyone can agree that paying, especiall per passenger, should incur a charge, that is not included in the advertised fare. Choosing an obscure kind of card (e.g. Visa electron) to be the only fee free means of payment is at best profiteering. yes, I can grab a Visa electron card as a prepay, but if the vast majority of your customers will not be using this method, it strikes me as a hidden or buried charge when not displayed.

3. Please, we can all read terms and conditions but that's not the point. The point is transparency. e.g. insurers are required to provide a brief plain english summary of the cover, so you don;t have to plough through the full policy. in addition "+ taxes and charges" - well if I have to pay them, show me them in the price!!

I think it is unfair to criticise the MSE employee directly as seems to be happening here when this is clearly an MSE policy as explained in the weekly email. disagree with that policy if you will but I for one fully support any calls to make the system work in our favour, NOT theirs.
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE_Archna wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]Budget airlines' supposed 'extra' charges are nearly obscene.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

It's always seemed a bit odd to me that week after week the MSE email carries cheap flight info for budget airlines.

Budget airlines always have cheap flights, always have flights for £1 offers - that's their business model.

The MSE email gives them free publicity every week for something that isn't out of the ordinary.

This weeks email is without exception - Ryanair £1-ish European flights - Urgent! it says!!
  • Stefarno
    Stefarno Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cripes, what on earth is wrong with some of you lot? Some of the responses in here, seriously.

You've personally been able to avoid the fees, good for you.

It's obviously such a terrible thing to warn people about being charged huge fees for simple things like paying using a credit/debit card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure