PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling our house - why aren't people viewing?

Options

Comments

• Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    A quick look I can't see room sizes.

Offers over

Solar panels
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I like it, the only thing I would change is the yellow walls in the kitchen but that's easily done.

I really need to relocate, a similar house would be £450,000 where I live
  • SallyDucati
    SallyDucati Posts: 560 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've had a look at the link, and personally (this is only my opinion I'm not trying to be rude!) the fact you can see through the fences into the neighbours back gardens would put me right off. Being overlooked is one thing, and expected to some extent in estates, but being able to see through the gaps would make it feel less private (especially as the fences are quite high) . Could you put some reeds or something on the fences?

I also don't like photos from wide angle lenses, they make think they are trying to make the room look bigger than it is so it must be small. Perhaps get those pics replaced with normal ones?
  • breakingbad
    breakingbad Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    I like it, the only thing I would change is the yellow walls in the kitchen but that's easily done.

As in you would change it now, to make it more attractive to buyers? The EA advised against changing anything, as mostly the decor is very neutral and the house is ready to move into.
  • pinklady21
    pinklady21 Posts: 870 Forumite
    Options
    Looking at the listing - seems to me like a nice modern family house on an estate. Only comment I have about the listing is that there are a lot of "duplicate" photographs showing the same rooms from different angles.
    Why so few viewings?
    Might be price? What are other similar houses selling for?
    Might be time of year - is the market quiet generally?
    What did your viewers say about the house?
    Might be the neighbours?? Is there a planning application nearby that might be putting people off?
    Is it near a busy road? or a railway? or an airport?

Maybe the whole market is slow, and nobody is in a position to buy as they have still to sell?
    Sorry I cannot be more helpful. Best of luck. Sometimes it just takes time for the right buyer to come along. Frustrating for you!
  • breakingbad
    breakingbad Posts: 130 Forumite
    edited 19 July 2018 at 5:43PM
    Options
    A quick look I can't see room sizes.

Offers over

Solar panels

Apparently offers over is the new way of achieving the asking price. I would be happy getting £240k. (rather than putting it on for £245k and accepting £240k)

Yes, lack of room sizes is something I will ask EA to sort, as they definitely measured them (and are on their own site). Thanks for highlighting.

Solar panel hopefully shouldnt put people off, it is a solar hot water panel, and is fantastic in summer. It was on the house when built, so is not an addition.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Apparently 'offers over' is the new way of achieving the asking price. I would be happy getting £240k. (rather than putting it on for £245k and accepting £240k)

Marketing !!!!!!!! - doesn't help at all if someone who only wanted to spend £237k chose not to view it. If you need £240k then it may have to be a slower process.
    Solar panel shouldn!!!8217;t put people off, it is a solar hot water panel, and is fantastic in summer. It was on the house when built, so is not an addition.

In which case take 'solar panels' off the headlines and explain it in the main body of the ad - many will pass by solar panels due to the potential hassle
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The photos are awful. Strange angles, spots on the lens, poor exposure/contrast/fuzzy.

The garden's very overlooked and exposed.

I wouldn't want the child-appealing wallpapers but many buyers of that sort of house would (and if the rest of the house was ideal I could cope with that and a lot worse).

8 Mb broadband would be a killer for me, though.

It's probably a Zoopla fault but I'd rather see distances to train/Metro stations than the ferry terminals.

There's a mirror image in the same road at £50 cheaper
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/47874612

Much more established garden. It looks cosier and more restful (although smaller) because everything's not been photo'd in glaring full sunlight and overexposed.

I think you need to get the photos done properly by someone who has, and can use, a camera, put some reedy stuff round the fence and a few pot trees in to make the garden look more adult-friendly and sheltered, and ... dare I say, drop the price a bit so yours appears better value than the competition.

And are you not on rightmove????? I know in some areas zoopla is pushed more by agents but I would take a lot of convincing before going to an agent that wasn't on RM.

There's actually nothing wrong with the house, which is a bit unusual for queries here ...
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Would people bother viewing it?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am afraid with three viewings only, its almost certainly the price. There is nothing wrong with the presentation of the house although I'd probably remove the pictures from the fridge.

I don't know the area, its a detached rather than semi house, but still seems a little expensive for the area. This is only a cursery judgment though, you are the better judge of this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure