Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Got some Salmon variety "melt in the middle" fishcakes today (Lidl). Looking forward to them, as the Haddock ones were excellent.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We've not tried Lidl fresh meat before but we were tempted today with their mature sirloin steaks - pack of 2 for £4.39. This is their pick of the week at 20% saving.

I am pleased to report the quality was excellent, very tender. Shall certainly buy some more.:D. I hope all their meat is this good.

Unfortunately our nearest Lidl is 15 miles so it will only be an occasional trip. :o
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is the beef that had tapeworm eggs in a few weeks ago.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    This is the beef that had tapeworm eggs in a few weeks ago.

I don't recall hearing that one, but surely the time shortly after a scare is the safest time as all for food safety, as all concerned will be hyper - vigilant.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    The Aldi Corale baked beans are very sweet which I don't mind but I would imagine are not to everyone's taste.

They're nowhere near as sweet as Heinz beans though. As a diabetic I test the effect of baked beans on my BG levels. Aldi corale beans are the best for me in that respect, as well as being the best tasting.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    This is the story:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2515563/couple-fear-they-have-tapeworms-after-finding-eggs-in-lidl-beef-steaks-they-had-eaten/

It is the Sun, though!

You can find similar stories about any retailer, though. For example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2719990/Horrified-mother-finds-wriggling-tape-worm-inside-Sainsbury-s-beef-burger-tuck-BBQ-family.html

And the Mail's even worse than the Sun! Even Wikipedia's banned the Mail as a reliable source!
  • PLRFD
    Options
    Comment from the brother of the man involved,

You should know that the lab results on the specimen came back as positive for Tapeworm larvae.

Lidl have treated my brother horrendously on this case and should have a product recall. I can only imagine how many others purchased meat from the same source.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I wonder if it was cross contamination from another source?
    I loathe both newspapers, due to their constant misreporting, and whilst the brother has made that statement, that doesn't mean it's true.
    All stores have minor incidents from time to time. Doesn't make them acceptable but things do happen.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    They're nowhere near as sweet as Heinz beans though. As a diabetic I test the effect of baked beans on my BG levels. Aldi corale beans are the best for me in that respect, as well as being the best tasting.

They also have the advantage of not being produced by the hideous Kraft/Heinz which, having done so much harm when it purchased Cadbury, is now looking to devour Unilever too.
  • PLRFD
    Options
    The Unilever merger has been scrapped now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure