Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• jhgkp
    jhgkp Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    Make-it-3 wrote: »
    We're big yoghurt eaters in this house.

Our favourite, the 1 kg Turkish yoghurt disappeared from its shelves sometime early Autumn last year never to return. Turned to the Greek one which is nice, but have to be careful when shopping as the packaging is very similar to the low fat version which is too watery.

Latest change is the 1 kg version disappearing to be replaced by 0.5 kg one, priced at 75p so x 2 £1.50. The 1 kg was previously £1.38 so nearly 10% price hike.

I have noticed this too - as I am diabetic I take the full fat greek one (have to watch labels too) - some each day with a bit of fruit. Liked the big one as I don't have a lot of room in fridge for multiple things.
  • robrymond
    robrymond Posts: 701 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just visited Aldi.

Noticed the price of their spring onions - 72p, which the big 4 charge 48-55p 30-50% more expensive. Bunches look same size.

The spring onions were crazy price. They were only 35p a few weeks ago. Wonder if they are affected by the flooding abroad but I thought they came from Mexico during winter and UK in summer. Lettuces are cheaper again now after there £1.19 peak, back to 75p but they are TINY!
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    robrymond wrote: »
    The spring onions were crazy price. They were only 35p a few weeks ago. Wonder if they are affected by the flooding abroad but I thought they came from Mexico during winter and UK in summer. Lettuces are cheaper again now after there £1.19 peak, back to 75p but they are TINY!

Also even from Nigeria evidently! Bought some from M&S and that country was on the packet.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I bought my SOs from Morrison's yesterday and I paid 48p and they from Egypt. There was another produce line, forgot which one it was - 10p cheaper than Aldi..
  • nwc389
    nwc389 Posts: 497 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Lidls Raisin Wheats have vanished without trace since just after Christmas, my son loved them as they had more filling in than the Kellogg's ones - and I loved them because they were so much cheaper.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    A good from Aldi - the Espresso variety of their own brand Nespresso capsules. The Lungo is excellent as well.
    A not so good, well not for me, the 250g Aldi own brand bags of Bombay Mix, this was labelled as being 'new'. Very unimpressed, a lot of it was large soft pieces of gram noodles, hardly any spice or heat to them, with sultanas and coconut included (!!!!!!?). Not proper Bombay Mix as far as I am concerned.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • robrymond
    robrymond Posts: 701 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    More price increases on my weekly shop today. Cheese has risen again to £1.75 for 350g. Rise on dog food of 10p too. Not much in the grand scheme but disappointing so many price increases have been applied at once especially twice in 2 weeks on the diary products. The shopping price war seems over for now.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    More price increases on my weekly shop today. Cheese has risen again to £1.75 for 350g. Rise on dog food of 10p too. Not much in the grand scheme but disappointing so many price increases have been applied at once especially twice in 2 weeks on the diary products. The shopping price war seems over for now.

How so? Price increases are primarily related to the drop in the value of the pound, and to rising raw materials costs (such as milk). And they're happening across all supermarket groups in the UK - it's not that the price war is over, it's simply that supermarkets prefer to make profits rather than losses.
  • prenton01
    prenton01 Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Aldi anti dandruff shampoo

Just awful used it for a month could feel big clumps of dandruff on my scalp made me vert itchy switched back to Head and Shoulders and relief within a few days

Shame really as so much cheaper
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Is Lidl having any offers this weekend?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure