TV Licence article Discussion

Options

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Or they could run it off the mains/have it charging, and watch (non-BBC I-Player) catchup.
    They can do that on the TV. The question was specifically about Live TV.
    Cheryl
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Amongst other things, TVL have no sense of humour or imagination, so I could actually see them taking this to Court, who, coincidentally tend to have no sense of humour or imagination.

To be fair to our court system, I don't particularly want them having a good sense of humour.

I certainly would want them to be up with the times and technologically savvy which I suspect isn't the case by and large from the judges and magistrates I know.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I would rather the criminal justice system was not involved at all in the BBC gathering their funding. Apparently, 10% of court cases are TV licence evasion - 180,000 a year. It would be far better if the BBC collected it's income in the same way as it's competitors. Either by subscription (preferred) or through advertising (no longer effective really).
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 February 2019 at 4:48PM
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I would rather the criminal justice system was not involved at all in the BBC gathering their funding. Apparently, 10% of court cases are TV licence evasion - 180,000 a year. It would be far better if the BBC collected it's income in the same way as it's competitors. Either by subscription (preferred) or through advertising (no longer effective really).

Indeed, and it's only that small a number because BBC-TVL let off half the people they "catch". I imagine it's probably the people who buy a Licence without too much fuss, but even so I'm not sure if that's really what's meant by a "public interest test" on prosecutions.

If they prosecuted everyone, that would be up to 400,000 cases per year - 20%+ of all Magistrates Court cases.

The cases are worked on a Sausage Factory basis - 100-200 cases per session over 2-3 hours. Most defendants do not appear, and they are found guilty in their absence. Because they do not appear, there is no consideration of the evidence against them - their loss is automatic.

Also, nearly three-quarters of these defendants are women, which is quite unprecedented in our legal system. Although the BBC say that there are no gender biases, I can't help the suspicion that there must be to arrive at this figure. I don't buy the idea that women are more likely to be at home when TVL call, partly because the gender imbalance has increased significantly over the past 10 years from the more plausible 45% (men):55% (women).

It's (even more) all a bit of a mess.
  • cw18 wrote: »
    They can do that on the TV. The question was specifically about Live TV.

I realise that.

My point was, there's no need to break the law in order to watch most TV programmes, without having a TV Licence.
  • bytor1971
    bytor1971 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I managed to get a bargain telly earlier this week (Linsar 65" 4K LED) for £424 and it came with a free Roku Streaming Stick+.

I have the streaming stick in my telly and only have the Netflix and Amazon apps installed. Do I need to buy a TV Licence because I own the stick and have it installed even though I don't have any live TV apps installed?

I don't watch live telly at all, I tend to download anything I want to watch after it has been on via BitTorrent sites so I'm guessing I don't need a TV Licence for that either because it isn't live TV and I haven't recorded it live? I know that I don't need a TV Licence for ITV and C4 catch-up stuff and I only need a TV Licence if I use iPlayer, so I don't use it. Me watching BBC programmes that have been recorded by someone else should be okay, shouldn't it..?

Thanks in advance for any help!
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    bytor1971 wrote: »
    Do I need to buy a TV Licence because I own the stick and have it installed even though I don't have any live TV apps installed?
    No.
    I don't watch live telly at all, I tend to download anything I want to watch after it has been on via BitTorrent sites so I'm guessing I don't need a TV Licence for that either because it isn't live TV and I haven't recorded it live?
    Correct, although ex-BBC content may be problematic.
    I know that I don't need a TV Licence for ITV and C4 catch-up stuff and I only need a TV Licence if I use iPlayer, so I don't use it. Me watching BBC programmes that have been recorded by someone else should be okay, shouldn't it..?
    Grey area, I would say. I wouldn't want to rely on copyright infractions as a defence against an allegation of TV Licence evasion.
  • bytor1971
    Options
    Okay, thanks for that. Very much appreciated. I guess the golden rule is not to bother answering the door if they ever come round, I don't answer my door unless I'm expecting someone so that shouldn't be a problem.

I've also seen a few videos on YouTube where they try and do someone for obstruction for not cooperating which is quite worrying.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 3 March 2019 at 10:27AM
    Options
    bytor1971 wrote: »
    Okay, thanks for that. Very much appreciated. I guess the golden rule is not to bother answering the door if they ever come round, I don't answer my door unless I'm expecting someone so that shouldn't be a problem.
    You're certainly not legally obliged to respond to TVL's enquiries - not to their letters, or any housecalls they may make. If they do manage to speak with you (they have a habit of catching people walking to/from their homes), then you are not obliged to say anything to them, either before or after caution, nor in response to any specific question (such as: what is your name). They remain present on your premises/interfering with your privacy only by presuming your consent, which you can remove at any stage for any reason. They must leave immediately when instructed to, and if they don't, you can conceivably ask the Police to intervene and remove them. (Technically, you can use reasonable force to remove them yourself, having warned them that they are trespassing, but I wouldn't recommend that).
    I've also seen a few videos on YouTube where they try and do someone for obstruction for not cooperating which is quite worrying.
    "Obstruction" is a separate offence that applies ONLY in the context of a TVL Warrant. These Warrants are real, but only exist in tiny numbers (c. 100 per year for the whole of England & Wales). There are none in Scotland.
  • bytor1971
    Options
    Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help! Can I attach an aerial to my telly just to listen to radio stations as long as I don't watch live television? Or will having an aerial connected, regardless of whether I watch live television or not, be an offence?

I suffer from severe anxiety and severe depression so I'm getting a bit stressed out by this. The TV Licence people must have my name and address now because I had my television delivered so I'm getting a bit worried by it all now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback