TV Licence article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Ego_Shredder
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    To save getting stressed out by the threatening TVL letters, do what I do - Anything with a Darlington DL98 1AT postcode simply gets thrown on a (growing) pile unopened.

If a TVL "representative" should ever make the mistake of banging on my door, he (or she) will be handed the afore mentioned pile and told exactly where to go.:p

A map can be provided if verbal directions are insufficient.

You mean on the back of the letter, in the section meant for filling out with your name, address. licence number etc? I have received three letters from TVL so far, and two have the DL98 1AT postcode in the section I mention on the back.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You mean on the back of the letter
    It will be somewhere on the outside of the envelope. All TVL mail I've pushed through letter boxes (I'm a postie) has a return address on it.
    Cheryl
  • Cracktester
    Options
    I don't watch or record live TV, or watch iPlayer, however my daughter (who lives with her mum) watches iPlayer when she visits.
    My question is do I need a license for someone who doesn't live here, or is she covered by her mum's license?
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I don't watch or record live TV, or watch iPlayer, however my daughter (who lives with her mum) watches iPlayer when she visits.
    My question is do I need a license for someone who doesn't live here, or is she covered by her mum's license?
    If she's watching it on a device that's powered only by it's internal batteries (mobile phone, tablet or laptop) it's possible she's covered on her Mum's licence - for anyone but your daughter I'd say definitely covered, but I suspect Crapita may try to claim this is different due to her being your daughter. If she's watching on something that's plugged into the mains (any of the above or a TV set) you need a licence.
    Cheryl
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have received three letters from TVL so far

113 and counting here. :)
  • LokieK3
    Options
    Is there not a public online petition so we can vote to abolish this outdated licence which allows the BBC a monopoly? They should either have ADs to fund them or shut up shop, they will not be missed. if anyone has a link for a petition please post so I can sign up and if no petition is time someone creates one and gets everyone in UK to sign up
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 March 2019 at 11:29AM
    Options
    LokieK3 wrote: »
    Is there not a public online petition so we can vote to abolish this outdated licence which allows the BBC a monopoly? They should either have ADs to fund them or shut up shop, they will not be missed. if anyone has a link for a petition please post so I can sign up and if no petition is time someone creates one and gets everyone in UK to sign up

It's been done (several times). One petition got the requisite number of votes to require discussion in Parliament, and the consensus (not sure if there was a vote) amongst MPs was that the Beeb was a jolly good thing.

From my POV, I think that that question of the BBC's existence, its style and scope are all questions that no one really wants to tackle. The question of the iniquities of Licence Fee enforcement is an area where the BBC is much more vulnerable to the requirement for change. If every Legally Licence-Free household formally declined to be interviewed under caution that would see the matter resolved overnight, especially if/when some Evaders joined in (which is their legal right).

So, I guess what I'm saying is that petition to Parliament has been tried and failed to address the issues. Petitioning the BBC on the matter of declining to be interviewed seems much more likely to succeed, and it brings advantages to each individual household along the way, too.

Whether we would ultimately end up with an alternative that people would consider to be "worse" is a valid question, but sometimes you just have to stand up and be counted.
  • madden85
    Options
    I currently pay for BT Tv however I watch it maybe once a month ( I know I need to cancel but I'm locked in at the moment)

I watch Netflix or Amazon prime and blu rays (I have kids so its allot of Peppa Pig). I have no Ariel cable plugged in and we haven't watched or recorded live TV for about 6 months.

I only ever watch something like Dave if I do watch BT TV, is this classed as live TV if they are subscribed channels? We never watch BBC or Iplayer.

Thanks
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 March 2019 at 12:53PM
    Options
    madden85 wrote: »
    I currently pay for BT Tv however I watch it maybe once a month ( I know I need to cancel but I'm locked in at the moment)
    Yes - you would need to cancel in order to be able to legally cancel your TV Licence.
    I only ever watch something like Dave if I do watch BT TV, is this classed as live TV if they are subscribed channels? We never watch BBC or Iplayer.
    Dave is not a Pay TV channel (it is Freeview). Dave HD is additionally available on the BT TV platform. Either channel requires a TV Licence to watch or record it as broadcast. (Being Pay TV does not exempt a TV channel from requiring a TV Licence). If you mean you are accessing it as catch-up via UKTV player on the BT platform, then that does not require a Licence.

The notion of "live TV" is somewhat misleading. A TV Licence is required for:-

- Watching or recording TV channel broadcasts received via traditional means (Satellite, Freeview or Cable TV).

- Streaming internet versions of the above channels (where the content is identical to the broadcast channel, concurrent with it, and shares the same brand name and channel name).

- Watching/downloading BBC TV programs from iPlayer (but not S4C programs or radio programs).

- There is a grey area around streaming of content from foreign broadcasters that is not available in the UK via traditional reception. This area requires care, and I would suggest anyone who wants to do this without a TV Licence investigates further and makes up their own mind. (There appears to be a contradiction between what legislation says (which is summarised above) and TVL's present advice).
  • Bristow
    Bristow Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    The TV licence is in my name. I am a year younger than my husband, who has now reached 70. Hopefully free TV licences will still be available in 5 years (although I am not hopeful), but should I change the licence into his name or is the fact that he will be 75 when I am 74 sufficient to ensure we get a free licence?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback