Anyone else been refused tap water in restaurant

Options

Comments

• belfastgirl23
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    I think there is a problem with the bistros where people order just one course. In the big restaurants where most diners will get three or four course meals, there is usually a jug of water on every table and since the table is booked maybe all night or for a couple of hours it is not a problem for the restaurant to do this. It is the way it is done the world over.

But expecting the same service for a bowl of chile or a lasagne in a bistro or cafe perhaps is asking too much. Starbucks and MacDonalds and the greasy spoon down the road would probably complain if you requested tap water there.

Starbucks will give you water without a blink. Cafe Nero have jugs of water sitting out so you can help yourself. These guys understand that this is why people keep coming back.

And if you are the kind of place that does chilli for a fiver or whatever repeat custom will be very important to you!
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is a cost, how do you think the glasses/jugs wash themselves up? or the ice miraculously appears free?
  • Indo77
    Indo77 Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    There is a cost, how do you think the glasses/jugs wash themselves up? or the ice miraculously appears free?

The cost to refuse is a lot more, a loss of custom.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Indo77 wrote: »
    The cost to refuse is a lot more, a loss of custom.

Maybe they should put a sign up saying.

"Please do not ask for tap water as refusal could cause offense".
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Asking for "tap water" seems to be quite a new thing as far as I can see. That is compared to just asking for a glass of water if it did not come with the meal. If the use of the term is meant to stop a waiter bringing you a small bottle of "designer water" and charging £2.00 for it then it is understandable to a certain extent. However, I can see how a small independent cafe or small restaurant could see it as being controversial as I suppose soft drinks, tea, coffee wine and beer are perhaps the most profitable part of their business and help subsidise the food they serve.
  • couponqueen123
    Options
    its illegal and you shuld have pointed it out however if you went back and said im sure the manage / owner might sort it out worth a try i would
  • jenheiffer
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »

There is no need to supply ice if the water is cool (as it will be if it is straight from the tap).

As for washing the glasses - will they be whinging about washing knives and forks next?:(
  • missma
    missma Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    Maybe they should put a sign up saying.

"Please do not ask for tap water as refusal could cause offense".

That's not exaclty a good sales pitch. Maybe if they have an ounce of common sense they would just go and get the water. It's not a whole lot to be asked for if a customer is say paying £20 for a meal. I could understand if that's all you were going to order. To be refused tap water displays great pretentiousness by said establishment. Why risk behaving this way to your customers who will just go to a different restaurant next time?
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never been refused it in any restaurant I've been to, I always get a jug of water for myself, wife and kids get other drinks of their choosing. Like others have said vote with your feet and remember to give them a Trip Advisor review or a facebook comment if they have a page.

I did once get charged £3.25 for a jug of orange cordial thou, owner took offense when I offered to buy a bottle or cordial for them instead for £1 :o

Having worked in Hotels and pubs most of my life I have never charged for a glass of water or a dash or cordial even when it was company policy. The owners soon came round to my way of thinking when the happy customers returned week after week.
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Options
    The Other Place in botanic used to charge 25p for a glass of tap water when I was at uni. When asked why they said the water quality in the area was poor and it had to be distilled.
    Wonder if they 'distilled' all the water for tea, washing etc? And if the holyland had the same undrinkable water!
    If it wasn't for the 99p fry I wouldn't have been back...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure