Debt busting misssion ..

Options

Comments

• fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, just caught up with your diary and wanted to say a little piece about the bullying.

Sooner or later it will blow over.

My eldest, who is now 23, was born with a cleft lip and palate. He went through a bit of a rough time at one point being bullied and was subjected to various name-calling episodes while at school. I was also bullied until I was around 12 years old because of my fathers occupation (we stayed on the edge of a rough area and my dad was a policeman), so I could relate to my son's frustration and anger.

In both cases our respective schools weren't interested. It was only if a fight broke out on school property that they got involved. In my case it resulted in me having to get into a few scuffles before things calmed down. In my son's case, I had a rather strong word with the father of the main lad concerned, who was disappointed to learn that his son was bullying others. It quickly stopped.

I started karate lessons at 12 and did them until I was around 16. It not only taught me how to defend myself but also confidence, self-control and discipline. I'm not saying that's the right route for everyone to go down but it's certainly an avenue you could ask your sons to consider.

I had a conversation with Mrs fatrab about bullying at the weekend as we have a 7 month old baby. We still live close to the same rough area that I grew up in and we're in the catchment area for the same primary school that I went to (although it has been rebuilt on a new site since I was there). We don't want him to be bullied nor do we want him to be too tough either. It's a very fine line.

I'm sure everything will work out ok eventually and wish you and your sons the very best :)
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks FR .. it is so stressful worrying about him and the change in him is massive. Honestly schools bang on about anti bullying but when it comes to it they are rubbish. like I have said he was burnt and scared from it in school from a bully and noting was done, DS was caught writing on the toilets wall (something he was well told off for and I think he was trying to fit in although that not an excuse) and he was suspended for 4 days .. seems stupid to me!
    My brother wanted to do the same as you but I have held him off but we have said that if it get out of hand that it might be the best option.
    I am hoping that it hasn't effected him to much as he is a very determined and intelligent child (most of the time lol) he does have his whole life mapped out and in some ways I think this has kept him on track.
    kids .. we never stop worrying about them .. I swear that's where all my grey hairs have come from lol

Lisa
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi, really enjoying your debt busting diary!

I would say that if your parents can afford to help with the upcoming trip and are offering to help, take it! Yes, it is their money, but I am sure that they would love to help with their grandkids, i am incredibly lucky with both my parents and my in laws helping, both with time and money. My mil raised her son as a single parent and now she has money she loves being able to help with her grandkids when she wasn't able to do as much for her own son while he was growing up. She also loves me as she only had the one child but has four much loved grandchildren :rotfl:
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • mumofthetwins
    Options
    Hi, really enjoying your debt busting diary!

I would say that if your parents can afford to help with the upcoming trip and are offering to help, take it! Yes, it is their money, but I am sure that they would love to help with their grandkids, i am incredibly lucky with both my parents and my in laws helping, both with time and money. My mil raised her son as a single parent and now she has money she loves being able to help with her grandkids when she wasn't able to do as much for her own son while he was growing up. She also loves me as she only had the one child but has four much loved grandchildren :rotfl:

Thanks Hun ... I know that they wouldn't mind and I have never told anyone apart from here about the debt :o
    I just feel bad that's all as I know they have / are working hard for the money and they do already help me in so many ways. I think I will see how it goes and if it comes to October (when my 0% rate runs out) I might need to ask them then ... hoping to have it paid by then though even with the school trip !!!128521;
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • mumofthetwins
    Options
    Bit of a mixed morning today .. I have just found out that one of my long term friends has the horrible C .. after an all clear they have called her back next day and tests have shown its spread to a lot more places :( .. I am soooo gutted for her as she is such a happy smiley person. ... in a strange way it has inspired me to push even more as if that happened to me I would be so worried about this debt and leaving it to my 2 Beautiful (sometimes driving me nuts) boys.

Not a lot listed this week on eBay but I did have a few things finish last night so another £110 whoop !
    I also had some expenses paid into my bank today so another £40 .. total of £150 and I have two items waiting for payment .. one buyer has asked if the other doesn't buy can she have both so just giving the original buyer a chance ;)

I have decided that for the rest of this month I'm going to keep busing my guts out but I'm gonna transfer it to a savings account then at the end of the month see what I have. CC is on 0% and if I can manage to save the money for the school trip that would be AMAZEBALLS !
    It'll then be straight back on CC busting .... gonna change my monthly goals ...
    *£200 Morg OP - Done
    *£95 of CC and it takes it to £1000 off this month - Done[/COLOR]
    *600 in School trip fund - £55/£600
    *4lb off in weight - 2.4lb/4lb
    *10 NSD 7/10
    *Back on my Leslie Sansone workout vids .. they have always given good results so fingers crossed .. 1 Done

So all updated and as you can see ... I lost 1lb today and another NSD yesterday(finding this really helps) ... yay mega happy dance
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • mumofthetwins
    Options
    Bit of a mixed morning today .. I have just found out that one of my long term friends has the horrible C .. after an all clear they have called her back next day and tests have shown its spread to a lot more places :( .. I am soooo gutted for her as she is such a happy smiley person. ... in a strange way it has inspired me to push even more as if that happened to me I would be so worried about this debt and leaving it to my 2 Beautiful (sometimes driving me nuts) boys.

Not a lot listed this week on eBay but I did have a few things finish last night so another £110 whoop !
    I also had some expenses paid into my bank today so another £40 .. total of £150 and I have two items waiting for payment .. one buyer has asked if the other doesn't buy can she have both so just giving the original buyer a chance ;)

I have decided that for the rest of this month I'm going to keep busing my guts out but I'm gonna transfer it to a savings account then at the end of the month see what I have. CC is on 0% and if I can manage to save the money for the school trip that would be AMAZEBALLS !
    It'll then be straight back on CC busting .... gonna change my monthly goals ...

*£200 Morg OP - Done
    *£95 of CC and it takes it to £1000 off this month - Done
    *600 in School trip fund - £55/£600
    *4lb off in weight - 2.4lb/4lb
    *10 NSD 7/10
    *Back on my Leslie Sansone workout vids .. they have always given good results so fingers crossed .. 1 Done
    *GC £250 - £56.61/£250

So all updated and as you can see ... I lost 1lb today and another NSD yesterday(finding this really helps) ... yay mega happy dance
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,306 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Your totals are fab.
    Another vote for taking the help from your parents.
    If they are offering to help they are only doing it from love.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • mumofthetwins
    Options
    Thanks BL I am so determined and my friends health has pushed me even more ;)
    It'll be a quiet week on the eBay front this week but I've managed to get loads on the last few days so fingers crossed for next week :)

I do have a couple of larger items that I'm thinking about selling but they'll be to big for eBay so not sure what to do, ones a 3ft Coca Cola bottle shaped fridge and the other is a space invaders table ... any ideas ?

Thanks Lisa x
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • mumofthetwins
    Options
    Wooooo hooooo

Just noticed my 1% challenge has gone up to 5% .. yay !

That's not including Morg OP or STF :)
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,306 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you have a local Faceb00k buying & selling page?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure