Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion

Options

Comments

• billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Options
    sdavi3680 wrote: »
    The place I am moving into and renting already has UW as their phone and broadband provider. Who can I switch to from UW? I tried with O2 but failed because it's not a BT line.

You can move to BT.;)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Their rated bottom out of seven suppliers by Which for the quality of their energy bills.

The improvements that Which? suggests Utility Warehouse considers include: explaining to its customers that it only offers one tariff, using an itemised summary box and stopping the use of minus signs to indicate units used, as this is confusing.

See: http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/06/energy-suppliers-could-do-better-on-bills-218542

WHICH rates UW as having by far the worst bills - BG best with 7 out of 10, the others 5 or 6 out of 10 - except UW with 3 out of 10.

Yet in the totally discredited WHICH readers satisfaction poll, UW came top for billing.;)

Similarly in the same reader's poll UW came top for value despite having just about the highest gas and electricity prices in UK - £hundreds more than available from the Big 6.

Just shows what 30,000 UW distributers, friends and family can achieve.

I wonder if a poll of Man Utd supporters will vote Wayne Rooney as outstanding performer of the World Cup 2010 tournament;)
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2010 at 9:59AM
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Just shows what 30,000 UW distributers, friends and family can achieve.

Actually only around 45 of those 30,000 actually filled in those questionnaires (bizarrely saying the uw's most expensive energy was top for value for money as well as the accuracy and clarity of their bills being the tops)!
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    UW energy prices are just about the most expensive - certainly nowhere near the cheapest.

As the poster at POST 7 here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=34580073#post34580073 discovered to her cost.
  • Gerrard_8_lfc
    Options
    UW energy is almost the most expensive in the uk it is close between them and Utillita.....

It is a sad day when BG Future Energy is cheaper at my consumption than UW....
    His Heart Proved He Was A Red
    Suarez, Suarez
    We Bought The Lad From Amsterdam
    We Know He's Not a Chelsea Fan.
    Fernando Torres = El Judas
  • OldGreyFox
    OldGreyFox Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    UW energy is almost the most expensive in the uk it is close between them and Utillita.....

It is a sad day when BG Future Energy is cheaper at my consumption than UW....

Are you not supposed to declare when posting in this thread that you work for British Gas ? ;)
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,717 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    OldGreyFox wrote: »
    Are you not supposed to declare when posting in this thread that you work for British Gas ? ;)
    Yes, (s)he is but to be fair some UW Distributors forget too.

As an aside, I put Quentin, quentin & Cardew on my ignore list. _party_

I am an independent distributor with Utility Warehouse and the views I express may not be shared by the company.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Cardew
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    As an aside, I put Quentin, quentin & Cardew on my ignore list. _party_

I am an independent distributor with Utility Warehouse and the views I express may not be shared by the company.

A wise decision!

After all you, and other UW salepersons, know that you sell just about the most expensive gas and electricity in UK(mainly to unsuspecting friends and family)

The purpose of my posts is to inform present and potential UW customers of the true facts about UW's high prices and sales techniques. So placing us on the ignore list(and I suspect you do 'peek'!!) doesn't affect that message.
  • Want2getway
    Options
    Hopefully I can get the answer here as when I Google it, I cannot get near an answer. Forgive me, I have also posted the same question on the CAG as we are so fed up with what we feel is a very poor situation.

A few years ago we had all our services with different providers. Our gas and electric with Scottish power, Telephone with BT and broadband with Orange. All were paid at differing times and we found that as all the people in our house have mobiles, we never really used the home phone.

We were given a demonstration by a friend about the wonders of Utilities Warehouse. On the face of it we could save some money by combining all our services and going on their gold membership.

Our first problem came from the broadband, with Orange we paid £5.99 a month and never had a problem, connection was around 2meg and never dropped. We never had fast speeds advertised by everyone as we are so far from the exchange. But once we had UTW this dropped from 2meg to our current 100K. Basis services that the kids used such as BBC Iplayer became impossible.

We never used the landline either so there was no change, where their combined phone and broadband package saved money, the cost of what little calls compared to BT’s meant the bill went up and not down. When we questioned our friend we were told that this was so we got their monthly “free” membership and Card. We never used the pre-paid debit card as it is very inconvenient to use, putting money on it from our bank account, then a few days later it appears. We don’t live in a town with a Sainsbury’s petrol station, one of the big selling points (spend over £50 there, then fill up, get 5p off a litre, plus 5% cash back). So that is no use to us.

Our gas and electric no different apart from having to ring in the readings every month compared to the quarterly bills.

We received over a couple of week silent phone calls and asked UTW to change our number that we took from BT. They did this but even changed the area code from 02476 to 02477, which caused no end of confusion as people thought we were giving out the wrong number to them. They did not tell us that we would also lose the ability to change phone supplier again.

Anyway, as the broadband was so poor (just speed checked and was getting 125kps up and 50kps down) we thought £25 per month was not worth it. Orange have offered us a deal because all our mobiles are with them of home phone and internet for £7.99 a month, so it made sense to change over. We contacted Orange to take up their offer only to be told that UTW had untagged our phone number which stopped other companies from transferring it. Orange said the only way we can could get around it was to cancel with UTW, get a BT line installed (remember we were with BT before we changed over to UTW), wait for the contract period to expire and then move over to them. All in, a process that could take over a year and cost a fortune. UTW said that they do not have to allow our transfer out to another service provider as they own the line. This is something I cannot understand at all. We were with BT to start with, when we moved to UTW our number stayed the same. UTW have also said that our broadband would be cancelled too.

Does anyone know enough to help out? What can I do without having to have BT install a new line (technically flipping a switch). How can Utilities Warehouse do this to customers? It have got our backs up so much we want to move all our services away from them. We owe them no money so there is no debt issue to deal with.

Any help or advice given would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jon
  • Cardew
    edited 11 July 2010 at 10:20PM
    Options
    Want2getaway.

I saw your post in the Phones forum. Unfortunately it is a 'Catch22 situation' as the experts in that forum are not allowed to discuss UW and all discussion on that company is confined to this forum.

I suggest that you might like to send a PM(Private Message) to Heinz of some of the experts and they will no doubt respond with some advice.

On the brighter side, you are very probably spending hundreds of pounds a year for gas and electricity more with UW, than you could get it elsewhere. So the saving obtained from leaving UW altogether will more than pay for any measures to restore your internet.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback