PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    £11.29/100 so far - not done a big shop yet but hoping that the overly massive shop from last month will last me another week or two.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • purpleybat
    Options
    hello all :D
    can i be put in for £160 this month please.
    my freezer is groaningly full but I'm working throo cupboard supplies quite nicely. now its turning nippy in the evenings i've been starting up soup night again, nice and cheap and comforting.
    I did masses of overtime last month so went a bit missing, but I totted up and came in bang on £163 which amazed me, I was expecting it to be a fair bit more.
  • butterfly2507
    Options
    NSD today but tomorrow will be the first shop of the month. I've made a list (yet again) and would like to only buy what I've written down. They also have an offer of 3 DVDs for 10 € but I'm not really sure if I need that :D

Let's hope we stay under 50 € !
    books read 2020: 29 / 100
    Weight loss journey: 1,5 KG / 9 KG

english is not my first language, sorry for any misspellings :o
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    We are day one and we have already spent £54.76. Should still be doable.

£54.76/£150.
    £95.24 left
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • kzzhar0
    kzzhar0 Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello!

I'm very new to this and its my first post on the MSE forums but it seems like an excellent ideas as I really need to get spending under control and stop wasting money on non necessities (as I would like to buy a house - eeek)

Can we be put down for £160 this month on groceries - probably a bit too high as theres only two of us but new to this so will see how we go.

I have spent £60 today on non grocery things (but all necessary - bus ticket, baby gifts, post office etc) and won't be spending this amount again this month on this sort of things unless its coming back in through selling bits on ebay and I need to post it!

The recipe section here looks excellent as I always struggle with what to make which can be frozen/what can be still super tasty but cheap.

Looking forard to starting this, hope I can stick to it! :j
  • Cherry_Burton
    Options
    Hi, the first day of the challenge for me. Last month I spent £199.24,:eek: I know, I know way too much! This month I’m going hard core to get it down to £100. I’ve done it before so I should be able to do it again. I’ve fallen into some very bad habits, just lazy really.
    1. Buying lunch at work instead of taking a packed lunch
    2. Not meal planning and shopping from a list
    3. Linked to 2, going into shops for a couple of bits and pieces and ending up coming out with all sorts of unplanned purchases.

I’ve done a stocktake and I have plenty of food, probably because I’ve been buying on impulse rather than using a list.

Vegetable/salad – I have an allotment which is very productive at this time of year so I have loads of fresh and frozen veg plus salad. The only thing I need to buy is mushrooms.
    Fruit – There are raspberries in the freezer which I will use to make jam I get the time. There is also stewed rhubarb (is that a fruit or veg?). The apples on my tree aren’t ready yet, so I will buy some together some bananas, I do like a banana, and possibly some oranges.
    Meat/Fish – I probably eat meat or fish about 3 or sometimes 4 times a week. There is probably 2 or 3 weeks’ worth of meat and fish in the freezer so I have no need to buy any yet and possibly not until October.
    Tins/Jars- the cupboards are very well stocked with tins and jars. I counted 5 tins of tomatoes (I’m currently eating my fresh toms), 2 tins each of kidney beans, tuna and baked beans, 1 tin of each of cannellini beans, borlotti beans, water chestnuts, sweetcorn, sardines in tomato sauce, and tomato soup. There is a jar of curry sauce and a jar of black olives. I have 10 jars of homemade strawberry jam safely stored away. So nothing needed here
    Packets- I have sugar, flour (bread, plain and self-raising) tea, rice and a small amount of pasta.
    Dairy – I have no eggs or yogurt, about 100g of mature cheddar and 2 pints of milk
    Bakery – I have ½ a loaf but can make more using the bread flour and other things from the cupboard. I have no sweet stuff but may bake some biscuits and possibly a cake, if I buy some eggs.

Today I spent 49p on a pint of milk for work.
    0.49/100

CB
    1/10/2015 Debt Free
    1/1/2018 Mortgage Free
    Now saving for early retirement
  • BrassicWoman
    Options
    Sigh. Popped in for some posh dark choc spread, and I really fancied that on toast for brekkie, and also got yogurt, cereal, loo roll. £11.09.

Sooo basically no spending for a fortnight to get back on track...!!
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • pajama
    pajama Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Well first week went well on spends. £6.01 in sainsbobs, £8.33 b&m and £33.27 in ald!. Did take daughter out for a pub meal after my hospital chemo session as it was only us at home and I we were too tired to cook. this comes out of a separate eating out budget.

My freezer is jammed and when daughter returns to uni shortly we will be living out of the freezer which should bring the bills even lower...hopefully
    Grocery Challenge - Sept £205.56/£350.00

• wannalot
    wannalot Posts: 182 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, just a few days in to the challenge and my budget is looking wobbly already. Last night, I decided to do an internet shop (which is rare for me) and stock up on lots of heavy things that I don't particularly enjoy carting onto the bus! Amongst other things, huge soap powder, fabric softener, cereal,12 tins of soup on offer , 6 jars of passatta and a roasting tray, and enough milk to do me for a week or two. It came to a grand total of £57.57, so a big chunk of my £140 budget, and I still need to visit butcher/veg stall this morning!

Oh well, I won't beat myself up if I go a little bit over this month, as I have bought loads of bargain staples which I will probably still be using up to Christmas! And I really will only need small top-up shops (mainly eggs, fruit & veg) for the rest of the month

I did buy one luxury - smoked salmon. I love the stuff, but it is so expensive. If anyone knows where it can be bought cheaply, I would love to know!

Have a lovely weekend everyone - I am working, alas!
    2024 goals
    GC: Jan £160 (annual £1920)
    Savings: save £10K (or move house)
    Health: Lose 3 stone
    Mind: read at least 24 books
  • Tete_en_l'Air
    Options
    A nice round £12 spent today between B&M and Asda. Mainly just bacon and veg to tide me over the weekend before I do a proper shop, but £3.98 of it was stocking up on cheap Options hot choc in B&M. It's a lovely low-fat treat for when I'm really doing my best with Slimming World which I am at the mo.
    Weightloss: 14.5/65lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport