IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Britannia/BW Legal Claim Form

Options

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was looking at the Rules & Practice Directions on the justice.gov.uk website.
    Good luck with that - too complicated for me. :D

Put simply, there are two pertinent dates - Date of Issue and Date of Service.

Strictly speaking these refer to the issue and service of the Particulars of Claim.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You are warned that if, after 28 days,

That's not the Schedule 4 para 9 timeline, though, is it? Look at it!

Did the PCN arrive by day 15?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • jackpot_spaniel
    Options
    Did the PCN arrive by day 15?

Yes, unfortunately it arrived within about a week.
    That's not the Schedule 4 para 9 timeline, though, is it? Look at it!

POFA states:

"28 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice is given"

"A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered (and so “given” for the purposes of sub-paragraph (4)) on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales."

So, are you saying that because the PCN does not allow for that second paragraph, it does not comply with POFA?

I hope so!
  • lostsoul22
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat due to similar frustration and also disbelief over the timeline, and difficulty getting back to the site to check for myself.
    on dec 30th sunday evening i drove family to a restaurant for a meal and was told by family I picked up on the way to park in Waitrose as it was next to it; they assumed the time limit wouldnt count as it was out of hours and there was no obvious signage warning it an issue - so didnt say anything to me and I assumed i was being given good advice.

i got the initial warning letter sometime in Jan - it's not dated but it was shortly after I found out i was being made redundant which sent me spiralling and put the parking issue out of mind. roll on another month and i'm jsut about getting my brain together (I suffer from anxiety and paranoia as a result of said stressful job).
    I've had a 'final reminder' also undated but received in early feb and cannot appeal via the Brittania website anymore. i've spent so long getting to grips with what is required, reading the forums and getting myself not to hide from reality that i'm too late.

I'm really struggling with all of the process. I will soon have no job and my mental health isn't in a great place for finding a new one via CV etc, let alone trying to understand all the necessaries for this issue.
    I was in the carpark for 2hrs, 32 mins (17.36.08 to 20.07.40) and would happily pay a reasonable fee.
    The most frustrating thing is also that i would have parked further away normally as the council carpark is long stay....grrr to taking advice.
    Should I wait for the next letter before acting? or is the detail on the first letter as to what the process is? many thanks.
  • jackpot_spaniel
    Options
    Hi lostsoul22

Sorry to hear that. I think the initial advice would be to delete your post above, as you state you were the driver amongst other details.

Your first stop should be the Newbies Thread which is 'stickied' to the top of the Parking Tickets forum - you will find all of the information you need there.

If you're still having issues, then I think the advice would be to start your own new thread, and forum members will reply to you there. It sounds like there are already some points you can argue (lack of clear signage, no dates on PCNs), so don't just pay it.

Best of luck with everything, including the job hunt. I was made redundant the other year, but it actually turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me - just keep your head up and apply for everything you can, even if you don't meet all the requirements.

Take care
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    So, are you saying that because the PCN does not allow for that second paragraph,
    No. Look at the ACTUAL phrase they must use about the timeline. Not the second para!
  • jackpot_spaniel
    Options
    "28 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice is given"

This phrase?
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Well yes of course. Please don't ask me to explain how that differs.
  • jackpot_spaniel
    Options
    I just thought it was a bit of a weak argument, which is why I tried to bolster it with the second paragraph:
    A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered (and so “given” for the purposes of sub-paragraph (4)) on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales.

Could something as small as not including:
    beginning with the day after that on which the notice is given

really be successfully argued as a non-compliance?

I don't know, I'm not a lawyer - wish I was with all of this!

Thanks
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    I just thought it was a bit of a weak argument, which is why I tried to bolster it with the second paragraph:
    A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered (and so “given” for the purposes of sub-paragraph (4)) on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales.

That's pointless because of this fact:
    unfortunately it arrived within about a week.

Could something as small as not including:
    beginning with the day after that on which the notice is given
    really be successfully argued as a non-compliance?
    Technically yes, as it's not compliant and misleads the consumer about the statutory timeline, but not with all Judges...e.g. if your court is Manchester or Skipton where they hate PPCs, I think they'd possibly buy that.

You only have unclear signage, ANPR not synchronised/time not proven, and no landowner authority (and shooting down the added 'costs' that never existed as per all defences you see here) to go on apart from that, AFAIK. So it's a straw you might need to clutch at.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure