Lunch ideas for work

Options
13»

Comments

• Natad00dle
    Options
    I just make sure I cook a 3 portion dinner so that there is enough for my lunch as well. I make sure I pack the lunch portion away first though, otherwise we end up polishing everything off :-)
  • Craftingmama01
    Options
    Slimming world magazine has some great ideas.
  • Sally1436
    Options
    I have a microwave at work, so i batch cook. Below is some of the stuff i do...

Lasagna
    Fish pie
    Curry and pilau rice
    Pakistani kidney bean curry and boiled rice
    Leek and potatoe soup
    Chicken soup
    Nigerian yam porridge and fish/chicken stew
    Caseroles with bread
    Jillof and fried fish/grilled chicken
    Mousakka
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sally1436 wrote: »
    I have a microwave at work, so i batch cook. Below is some of the stuff i do...

Lasagna
    Fish pie
    Curry and pilau rice
    Pakistani kidney bean curry and boiled rice
    Leek and potatoe soup
    Chicken soup
    Nigerian yam porridge and fish/chicken stew
    Caseroles with bread
    Jillof and fried fish/grilled chicken
    Mousakka

I love batch cooking - good homecooked meals with minimal effort. IMO thats why most people buy premade stuff - convenience.

Homemade soup I put into freezer bags. Curry, bolognese and other similar dishes I make a huge batch of the sauce, put it into those plastic single serving sized containers and freeze it. Then when I want a curry its just a case of heating the sauce and throwing a handful of pasta/rice into a pot (i don't think rice/pasta freezes well and only takes 10 mins/doesn't require you to watch over it so I tend to make that on the day).

Make the initial batches a bit bigger than you need - so eventually you're only making 1 batch a week but able to have something different every single day.

Also, when doing chicken I might cook 1-2kg of it at the same time (usually boil it in some water with teriyaki or soy sauce) and then use some for a curry batch, some for a stir fry, some for sandwiches (maybe coronation chicken or even just keep it plain to be used with some lettuce, spring onions etc).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Jaymie_kate
    Options
    I agree, BBC good food has a list of the best lunch for work ideas and these are not just recipes, but healthy food.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Do you have a microwave or fridge at work?

During the week I take a lunch box of couscous ready made, coleslaw, ham/leftover chicken, boiled egg, salad. I also take any leftovers if there are any from evening meals.

My son normally takes leftovers from the previous night's meal. He also keeps cereal and milk at work.

One of my colleagues brings an omelette and reheats it and keeps salad on the side.

I prefer AllRecipes as a website to the BBC as the recipes are generally from 'readers' so tend to be tried, tested and cheaper than the professional chef's ones.
  • kimcros
    kimcros Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I often do lunch for work. Most often it is a salad, risotto or cream soup.
  • Kirstie_tnl
    Options
    anyone running on low carb?
    today i had some oriental style steamed chicken & mushroom and tofu soup, yummy. i used a very nice bento box i found from amazon too.
    Saving for Wedding 2018: £1980/£5000 :j
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Fussy husband takes a small size milk daily and I buy him cornflakes as he has breakfast in his office. He takes Brazil nuts, walnut halves, monkey nuts, little boxes of raisins and Kind bars. He has a small fruit bowl on his desk with apples, bananas, clementines, plums, grapes, pears etc - whatever he has filched from kitchen fruit bowl. Tins of baked beans and pouches of stuff for microwave eg quinoa and rice, Mexican rice (special offers) Tins of soup. Gluten free ciabatta or rolls, Babybel cheeses, Parma ham (Lidl is cheapest), Lisner herring salads. Tubs of olives. Gherkins. Pickled eggs. Hummus and gluten free crackers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure