PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

smoothie / smoothies recipes

Options
We made banana smoothies tonight with the kids. The idea was good, they were keen to make them and drink them. But after a couple of mouthfuls they both put the drink down saying they didnt like the bits! I used a banana, milk and ice cream and whizzed it up in the food processor.

How do you make a smooth smoothie? Should I get a blender or are smoothies meant to have lumps?! I just want to get it right so that they enjoy it.
“A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No idea but no, I think Smoothies should be smooth?

Have to say I hate even orange juice with bits in it :o
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I make mine in a blender and they come out ok. I'm guessing it was the banana that was still lumpy? Maybe you could try mashing it before adding it :confused:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    i would say it was the food processor, they dont really puree stuff, they are more for mixing - best to use a blender
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Thanks all, I will have to go out and get a cheap blender then. Are the stick ones ok for this?
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd go for a proper blender rather than a stick for smoothies. I bought this one recently from Amazon as it also crushes ice, which is good for smoothies too. It also came with a coffee/spice grinder which I thought was great considering it was so cheap :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I saw a Kenwood smoothie maker today -my kids were trying to talk me into it but I resisted. It was £25ish and looked like an ordinary goblet blender but, whoo hoo! it had a tap!
  • debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    I use a stick blender for ours - but this is simply because I already have one.

The trick is to use a container only slightly wider than the end of the blender, an old pint glass is what we use ;)
  • fazer6
    fazer6 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    I got given a smoothie maker for christmas but have only used it for soup and breadcrumbs so far. I think the difference with a smoothie maker is that they have a central bit with a sort of mesh round it. The fruit and stuff gets chopped up in the middle and everything is pushed out through the mesh so it's smoother and the pulp stays in the middle. Like a sieve I suppose. Hope that makes sense!
  • bugs
    bugs Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could try sieving it, or if the bits are too big even for that, putting muslin in the sieve, or passing it through a jelly bag?

I like bits...
  • jennyjo_2
    jennyjo_2 Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    Options
    I use a stick blender for smoothies
    and use yoghurt as well as icecream

not a newbie now: but still be gentle with me ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure