PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Dmp_beginner
    Options
    Can I join in too please I'll aim for £300 for 2a 2c as that way I'll have a little in my budget for Christmas. I'd like to include food, household products and pet supplies for 2 guinea pigs.
  • lauralou93
    lauralou93 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 September 2018 at 4:50PM
    Options
    Well this morning looked around both freezers, and in cupboards for ideas , yet to meal plan but have made and frozen tonnes of crumble from forraged blackberries , and apples and blackcurrants we've been given from peoples garderns , should keep family going for a bit still have tonnes of apples left to use!

Update: just made 8 individual lasagnas for freezer, got the bug now!
    January 21 £0/£100 grocery, jan 21 no spend days 2/31, £145.77/160 October 2018 grocery challenge 5/10/18-2/11/18

( previous wins -oct: pair of grants whisky glasses,£100 john lewis vouchers, nov: wall clock worth £60)
  • luckofthe_irish
    Options
    First shop of this month done for me - £27.19 in Aldi and £6.75 in Tesco.

A little over this weeks budget but I am hosting some friends for dinner this evening so putting on three courses. I have one small thing to pick up in Lidl tomorrow so will update then but I think that should be less than £1.

So far: £33.94/£125
    Trying to make my way on my MSE adventure.. Debt free since June 2018:j

December GC £32.58/£130
    November GC £101.14/£135 :: another month under budget! :: another m
    Emergency Fund £104.77/£1000:(
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 September 2018 at 6:58PM
    Options
    thriftwizard: How scary that must have been for you both. :eek: I'm so glad it turned out to be not as bad as you were fearing, although the trapped nerve will definitely be painful for your DH. Ask me how I know. ;)

First spends for October: £2.18 Heron Foods (x2 packs part-baked mini baguettes, pack of biscuits and x6 coconut cake rings), £2.99 Holl*and & B's (jar of malt extract) and a further £12.08 in Morries for stuff I can't get at my normal sm. Tbf, these bits will last until after Xmas so I'm happy with those.

Will be doing an online order tomorrow for Tuesday delivery and I'm working on around £45-£50 for that. Around £7 will be for household/cleaning items and the rest is mainly store cupboard stuff. Will report back once it's been delivered. :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    lauralou93 wrote: »
    Well this morning looked around both freezers, and in cupboards for ideas , yet to meal plan but have made and frozen tonnes of crumble from forraged blackberries , and apples and blackcurrants we've been given from peoples garderns , should keep family going for a bit still have tonnes of apples left to use!

Update: just made 8 individual lasagnas for freezer, got the bug now!

You could juice some (and freeze the juice; it doesn't keep unless you pasteurise it), stew some and bottle (can) some of the apples. My favourite juice is apple and carrot. Brilliantly refreshing, full of vitamins and not too sweet (especially with cooking apples)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • lauralou93
    Options
    No juicer I'm afraid , and I've been told they aren't that sweet and need to be cooked , I will not waste them don't worry.
    January 21 £0/£100 grocery, jan 21 no spend days 2/31, £145.77/160 October 2018 grocery challenge 5/10/18-2/11/18

( previous wins -oct: pair of grants whisky glasses,£100 john lewis vouchers, nov: wall clock worth £60)
  • tiredwithtwins
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    thanks for the new thread! can you put me down for £200 for this month please?
    my October spend covers 27th sept to 25th October!!
    Good luck everyone!
    Sue :)
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
  • selloptape
    Options
    Hi everyone! Not a brill Sept so this month I'm just trying to hit below Septs spend as my Oct target. Made sense when I thought of it but have got a slightly strange figure of £327.70 to beat :D

My budgets run to calendar month and feed one adult and a very ungrateful teenager :rotfl:

I've already been to Mr Ts for a little shop and to stock up on some essentials so I feel a bit overspent already but this should even out later in the month.
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone! Can I rejoin this month @ £155 please?

I made the rather sobering discovery when playing with the spending reports in YNAB and realised I've spent a huge amount of money in supermarkets/shops that I very rarely do "big shops" in, just random top ups / buying tea on the way home from work. It pretty much means I've blown approx 25% (maybe more! :eek: ) of my food budget on eating crap due to a) being disorganised or b) making poor food choices due to having no idea what I have in my flat or c) being lazy or d) shoping while hungry. :o

I've just catalogued my freezer and food cupboard and will spend part of my day off tomorrow updating my stock lists in Keep so I can access them from my phone. (Hopefully also write a menu plan too if I have time). I've also decided that staying on my bus home from work 1 stop further than normal before switching buses would mean I don't walk past multiple metro / express type supermarkets shops while hungry! (these are the shops that account for much of that 25% spend on rubbish! :cool:)

I will be strong... I will be strong... :p

I also have the bonus of having just done a big shop in Ald! today (the grand total of 32p worth which was actually used today ie in my september budget ) so shouldn't need much this week from my October budget at all. ;) :j
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • bellyflop
    bellyflop Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, a newbie here. Please can I join with a budget of £250 for 2 people? This will include all household spends: food, toiletries, cleaning products etc. :o
    Oct NSD 7/15
    Oct £2 per day £41.00/£62.00
    Oct Grocery Challenge £137.54/£250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills