October 2018 Grocery Challenge

edited 18 September 2018 at 10:32AM in Old Style MoneySaving
284 replies 25.3K views

Replies

• Save_DoshSave_Dosh Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Can I be put down for my usual £8o for the month. This is to include everything. I'm hoping to come in much lower, as I'm going to do a lot of batch cooking n meal planning (she says). I might do a separate £1 a day grocery challenge for October, not in the true sense, but also including stores - if I can be asked to stock take. I have lots of stuff still 'lurking' n it needs to be gone. If I do, I will post a link if anyone is interested in seeing what I do n giving me some tips etc. Good luck everyone.
    August GC - Food £55.56/£80 Alcohol £17.24/£20
    Bulk Funds - Food £19.73 -
    Save 12k in 2019 £1,300/£5,000 - #155
  • peony40peony40 Forumite
    518 posts
    ✭✭
    Hello,

Please can you put me down for £200

This is to cover housekeeping/food for two adults from 27/9 to 25/10. I have had one delivery already of £115.12 as needed bits in for hubby watching Ryder Cup!

Good luck all, and thanks for running this thread.
    2019 Sealed Pot Challenge 107
  • MadamMim2013MadamMim2013 Forumite
    845 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Please put me down for £300 for this month Thankooo :)
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
  • nannygladysnannygladys Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone
    Day 3 for me and still no spends, again I haven't been out so eaten out of the cupboards.
    I did do an inventory of the freezer and I have stacks of veggies!!!! could be down to the lottie I have!! so I have written a shopping list but I will hold off another day before I go and do it.
    Nannyg
    Frugal challenge 2020
    Sealed pot 13 no.31
    Emergency fund 268.95/1000
  • edited 28 September 2018 at 5:06PM
    lauralou93lauralou93 Forumite
    11 posts
    edited 28 September 2018 at 5:06PM
    Hi I'm going to be aiming for £160 this month from 5/10-2/11
    Fingers crossed, will start planning and utilizing cupboards now

2 adults and 2 young boys,
    £145.77/160 October 2018 grocery challenge 5/10/18-2/11/18

( previous wins -oct: pair of grants whisky glasses,£100 john lewis vouchers, nov: wall clock worth £60)
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please add me for £200 this month - a combination of 5 week month, the kids home at various points and cooking for friends means a hike in GC spend is needed. Thanks

My month runs from 28/09 to 29/10.

£31 spent today so £31/£200 so far.

• thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm off to a disastrous start; I had to call an ambulance to OH early this morning, as he was doubled up with chest pains & having difficulty breathing. We spent a merry 6 hours in Coronary Care; luckily he apparently has the heart of a 21-year-old, but also has trapped a nerve in his spine. By this time I was late to get DS3 & all his goods & chattels back to uni (year 7, middle year of PhD, preparation time needed before starting back on Monday) so spent the next 4 hours sitting in traffic jams. Reeling home exhausted, I just couldn't face cooking, not to mention the fact that Friday is my food shopping day, and I've just thrown out vast quantities of food from my store-cupboard, so there wasn't much there to cook! So £25 has gone straight away on fish & chips, but I think I'm going to take it out of this month's entertainment budget, as I'm not anticipating needing that for anything else.
    Angie

GC Aug 20 £122.99/£450
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm off to a disastrous start; I had to call an ambulance to OH early this morning, as he was doubled up with chest pains & having difficulty breathing. We spent a merry 6 hours in Coronary Care; luckily he apparently has the heart of a 21-year-old, but also has trapped a nerve in his spine. By this time I was late to get DS3 & all his goods & chattels back to uni (year 7, middle year of PhD, preparation time needed before starting back on Monday) so spent the next 4 hours sitting in traffic jams. Reeling home exhausted, I just couldn't face cooking, not to mention the fact that Friday is my food shopping day, and I've just thrown out vast quantities of food from my store-cupboard, so there wasn't much there to cook! So £25 has gone straight away on fish & chips, but I think I'm going to take it out of this month's entertainment budget, as I'm not anticipating needing that for anything else.

What a terrible worry for you. I do hope that all settles down. I would think using some of your entertainment for the sheer weight off your shoulders is probably a good way to use that. Just in terms of stress relief it must have made you feel better, and that is what entertainment is meant to do :)

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £2161.30/£5k 28.72% after Apr
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £863.93/£3k 28.8% so far at end of April
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 £7,678.12/£15,000 51.9%
    MFIT T5 No 2 £50,483/£59,998 or 84.14% paid after Q5
    My Debt Free Diary is here
  • Hopeless_CaseHopeless_Case Forumite
    948 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭

Awful start to month, but thank goodness he was OK! Agree with taking it from entertainment budget

First spend of the month for me, £29.68 - that did include a birthday present, but as that was meant to come from last month's budget and I didn't buy it and the budget got swallowed up in holiday spending, it's going to have to come from the grocery budget! :o

£29.68/£200
  • chocolatelover93chocolatelover93 Forumite
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    After a terrible month in Sept I am going to start again in Oct and hope that I can spend less! I am going to be super tight as there is only me and my son to buy for. I am giving my CC to my parents so I can't be tempted to use it. And NO takeaways or buying food and drinks when I am out. I'm going to make sure I have stuff with me :D

C xx
    Read my diaryHere :)