PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• toddles*
    toddles* Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    cheeky trip to Mr Macs. Only spent £3.50 but oh I needed it. Will update my signature later.

NICKJW - well done you, nearly all paid off. Party time next month! OS style of course
    Happy days
  • nessie216
    nessie216 Posts: 839 Forumite
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »

I'd count it as Feb, but it's really up to you hun.

In that case can you put me down for £150 for Feb please MrsM & Jan was non-existent! :rotfl:

I have had 9 NSD so far! Not that i am aiming for any - just to be within budget! Which is not looking likely atm!
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    Made some mushroom soup this morning and have had it for lunch with a cheese roll, enough left for tomorrow as well. Still got some mushrooms left but not sure what to do with them yet, dont want to freeze them.
    Today has been a NSD although DH did get me a sack of carrots when he went to buy bird seed. Carrots cost £1.80 but he says they are a present for me! Heck my fella doesnt half know how to treat a woman :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: First time have used 'horse carrots' but they look ok to me and I know from other posts that others use them. Is £1.80 expensive though - was just wondering.

Turkey, pasta and salad for tea and there will be enough turkey left to use for something else.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • pipersky
    pipersky Posts: 954 Forumite
    Options
    Already spent £82.34 of Febs £150.00 budget ... yikes! Excuses to follow:

1) I have meal planned for the month and have all the meat / main meals in. Hoping to just have to get fresh stuff and prob toilet roll and baby wipes...

2) About £8.50 of what I've spent is for making gifts (marmalade, fudge, choc truffles etc etc)

3) I have no more excuses :p
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady :o
    A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • SavingJane
    SavingJane Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    I've been waiting for Feb to join you all

I kept total of the food bills from Jan to show me how much we was spending on the food shop and after a last wee shop on the 31st we came in at just under £300 which is just stupid amount

So I'm aiming to spend £250 this month, last month was a few bits we needed so a much higher then normal month so should be able to do it

That incs everything thou inc nappies and baby milk ect

So sticks me hand up and waves to all

Hi my names Jane, 2 of us with our baby boy who's just started to eat so a tiny bit more to buy

Helo all
    Mummy to Lewis Born Aug 10
  • goodgirl80
    Options
    Does anyone shop in waitrose? How does it compare with Sainsburys. I have a £15 off £75 voucher but it's not worth it if Waitrose is that much more expensive than Sainsburys.

As far as I can tell, Waitrose is massively more expensive than all the others. Try the My Supermarket comparison site. x
  • goodgirl80
    Options
    lotti379 wrote: »
    Please can I put a target of £200? No change from last month's target, which we went over (need to add up the final bits later) BUT I had an idea for an experiment. Since I know exactly how much we have spent in a month buying everything from T*sco, I am going to try and buy meat, fish, eggs, veg and fruit from the shops in the market or the greengrocer down the road, and only what I have to at the supermarket. Then I can actually make a comparison... And since we didn't buy anything in January till the 6th, I can't claim Feb will only be cheaper as it's a shorter month! :D

Hi Lotti, I have been doing my list from Tesco website, then take it to Lidl/ Aldi (I parked near there anyway so not an extra trip) and get whatever is cheaper off the list before going to Tescos. Hope that makes sense? x
    ps Let us know what bargains you find!
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    nessie just noticed your weight loss in your sig :T well done thats amazing
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    No spend day today. I was tempted though to take a bit of cash out with me on a dog walk, for an ice cream. So I saved one pound something what ever a Magnum is.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    NickJW wrote: »
    I know...I know...in an ideal world I really should do this, but since it's not expensive and easy, I take the easy option by buying the sandwich fillers. I usually leave the house for work around 7am and get home between 7 and 9pm, so I don't fancy doing extra cooking for lunches on top of cooking my dinner. After buying nasty tuna from Mr T a few months ago I STILL can't face the thought of opening another can :rotfl: (tuna mayo is what I used to make). I need to relax a bit in the evening :o. If I cook too much for dinner I'll sometimes take leftovers for lunches, but that's about it...

ETA: The mashed chickpeas sounds interesting thought - might give that a go - Thanks :-)

Sorry, I didn't mean to have a go at you, it's just that most sandwich fillers are far too expensive, and at least you know what you are eating when you make your own. Try the chick peas, and add whatever greenery you have, maybe garlic, herbs etc, and bind it together with a little oil. I love toasted sesame seed oil for this, gives it a nutty flavour.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills