PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Quick questions, what do people do with their spare egg whites? I have some in the freezer, and am looking for ideas. Also, my meringues always 'leak' sugar solution, making them sticky. What am I doing wrong? Thanks if anyone has any ideas.

You can add eggs whites to whole eggs to make omlettes or scrambled egg, or in cake mixtures. But mostly I just freeze mine and use for meringues. They keep for ages.

An Australian friend once gave me a recipe for Pavlova and that involved cooking it on a high number (200C) for about 5 mins - until it starts to colour and then for about 30 minutes on the lowest number your oven has (50 C in my case). After that turn the oven off and on no account open the door until the next day when it is completely cold. This seems to keep it really crisp on the out side an prevents the 'leaking' of sugar. I always make a meringue the day before I need it for this reason. HTH.

NSD for me today. Beef from W8trose was lovely and enough left for at least one more meal, but we'll have left over lasagne tomorrow. My first day back at work since Christmas Eve (I took some extra leave) and I am not looking forward to going back. I like my tidy house and being up to date with all the chores. Does that make me sad?

Hope everyone has a good week.

Moniker
  • zebredy
    zebredy Posts: 62 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2011 at 11:45PM
    Options
    Ok just did the last of the shopping today (well except for the £5 in my pocket I'm not counting as it was loose change my hubby had from last months pay which he gave me, which will just go towards bananas later in the month for OH for work)

Know I went a bit over my planned £120 but think thats patly down to A] Me buying loads of toilet roll so should have enough for us next month as well, b] us doing our first trip to a farmers market (some stalls set up in Upminster high-street) wasn't 100% sure what prices might be (well worth it as never knew bacon could taste so good :) the bacon and pasta was well worth the extra cost :) ) oh and c] taking my hubby to the shops with me. Yes we needed all the cat food and I did buy some turkey mince we could have gone without, (didn't want to spend most the month only with beef mince) but when I say to him 'go treat yourself to the hot crossed buns on special', that does not mean, fill the trolley up with two lots of four hot crossed buns and some tiger bread etc...

Ah can't complain to much, we have spent £150-£200+ in a month before, so £128 something, isn't to bad at all in my book..

Next months budget will be higher due to using up all the sauces in the cupboard so I will need to go get some ingredient to make my own as going to try and make more of my own sauces from scratch next month. Really need too (and want too) cause my oh is diabetic and he is trying so hard (with me) to loose weight as he was really close to being put on insulin a while back and I don't ever want to see him using needles like that. Other thing is he had his diabetic eye test and the guy said my OH has to watch his sugar levels (he might need to have another eye test) nothing to get overly worried about now, but I want his sugar intake to decrease now rather then when its to late to do anything about. I new there was sugar in these sauces, but look at the ingredient (and I mean really look at it) you don't realise just how much sugar is in them sometimes (this goes for the healthy ones too)

Anyway enough of my rambling unless the cats get desperate for food, pretty sure we are ok for the next 4 weeks till my OH gets paid again.

One last thing, anyone got any suggestions what I can do with some beef mince I have. Just froze 800gs of it in small portions but got another 800g I want to add some sauce to then maybe freeze, can anyone thing of anything other then a red pasta type sauce to go with the meat?

(Once again sorry for the long post my bad lol)
    Matthew, Izzy, Suzie, Harry, Darwin. My husband my cats, the main things that matter in my life...
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Went to Waitrose and spent £12 on a baking tin but its a really good quality one with a removable base for quiches/tarts etc. trying to replace my nastises one at a time with top quality. Less items but good things! Hopefully this will also make life easier when I do my next quiche.
    Bought some ecover WUL in the hope that I could use all of my ecover vouchers like I did last time but the "boy" on the till was "going by the book" and only allowed me the said voucher. I had to ask him to give me the unused vouchers back or they would have ended up in the till for no gain for me-about £3 worth!!! Glad I had my wits about me today. Changed my mind about the WUL and got a refund on it(Id still used the vouchers hehehe) Ok thats cheeky I know but just now and then-not all the time and I don't feel guilty.
    Spent £3.99 on a huge fiesta kitchen roll to give it a try-not sure if it will prove moneysaving or not. Also bought a regina kitchen roll-£2.35-now I tested this when I had the flu and kept throwing up-one sheet of this stuff is a godsend!!! £21.49
    Got some B/e petit pois half price offer for £1.01 and Waitrose own roast pots-their basic range-just 79p Also got their own cornflakes-the biggest one-£1.35. Then went to Coop and got reduced bread as I hoped to and corned beef, cheese, pots, all on half price offers. £13.51
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Options
    May I join? :D My current average spending for groceries is £350-£400 ... for two people. And sometimes it was even more... :( I am going to aim for £250 to start with in January. I have already spent £60 and tomorrow I have another shopping but I think I am still within target and comfortable. *crosses fingers*
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    lolly101 wrote: »
    The Healthy Living chicken breasts are on offer at £1.99 for 500g, which I think is quite a good price - so I bought four! They also have lots of cereals at either half price or BOGOF.
    Good for you :T That's a brilliant offer! Must be a regional one though as they're showing as £4.50 reduced from £6.00 on My$upermarket, but I may just have to check in my local Te$cos tomorrow, just in case ;) - I hope so, it would make my month!

...........I really need to get a life! lol
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • rachelww1
    Options
    Weekly shop today of £49.69 in Mr T's. Stuck to my list, but took £5 extra incase of any bargains.
    Had been sent a voucher for some free dog food. Dog food was 40p, yet the voucher only took off 39p. I know it's only a penny, but I don't buy that kind of dog food normally (it was a pouch and I only buy dry). Yet again Mr T's rip me off :mad:
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt £41176 :eek: Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings £250
    2013 OP £3500
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another £8.33 spent in Mr M's yesterday, not too good as we only got milk, cat food, onions and a jar of honey! This month will certainly be a challenge, as I've used over a third of the budget already, and we're not even 10 days into the month:eek:!
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• Rebelle
    Rebelle Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Billie-jo wrote: »
    I have 3 tubs of mascapone with a use by date of 10th Jan, will use one tomorrow on the cheesecake but can the others be frozen or not?

Not sure if they can be frozen, but you could use your mascarpone to make this gorgeous Irish Cream Tiramisu - it's a Nigella recipe, needs 500g so that should take care of both your tubs unless they're enormous! I made it for the first time just before Xmas to take to a friend's house for dessert when she cooked dinner at hers and it is DIVINE. :drool: If you don't like Baileys you could leave it out, but it's a great way to use it up if you have some hanging about after Xmas.

Just catching up with everyone's posts - no spend weekend here GC-wise, have been very good. :A Next week should be low spend too, just need milk, bread, bacon and some fruit. Joining in with the thread is really helping me to focus and not fritter money away on things I don't need - I really want to stick to the budget and not ruin a NSD with something silly if I can do without. So big thanks :T to everyone who posts and runs the thread, especially Rosieben - as a newb I find your posts really helpful, glad you'll be carrying on as you were. :)
    Pax Et Bonum
  • lolly101
    lolly101 Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    Good for you :T That's a brilliant offer! Must be a regional one though as they're showing as £4.50 reduced from £6.00 on My$upermarket, but I may just have to check in my local Te$cos tomorrow, just in case ;) - I hope so, it would make my month!

...........I really need to get a life! lol

Yes definitely check, they are in the freezer section BTW. If not, the Value breast fillets are showing up at £3.99 for 1kg on the Tesco website. They don't appear to be on offer, but I remember them costing more than that in store today. Hope you find them!
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2011 at 12:57AM
    Options
    lolly101 wrote: »
    Yes definitely check, they are in the freezer section BTW. If not, the Value breast fillets are showing up at £3.99 for 1kg on the Tesco website. They don't appear to be on offer, but I remember them costing more than that in store today. Hope you find them!
    Oh, sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought you meant fresh :)

One of the side effects of the cocktail of meds my daugther is on is excessive perspiration, and so for the last few months I have regularly been buying Te$co own brand baby wipes so that she can freshen herself up between showers.

They were 87p before Christmas. I checked in store on Friday and they had gone up to something like 92p - which was bad enough - but I've just been checking the prices on My$upermarket for the shopping I need to get tomorrow (which includes baby wipes) and since Friday, they've gone up from 92p to £1.28.

How can they warrant such a rise? :shocked: - that's almost a 50% increase!

I'm lucky that I only need to buy a pack every 2-3 weeks, but at that price, I think any new Mums will have to seriously consider finding an alternative.

It wont affect me personally too much as I only buy a couple of packs a month, but if everything leaps up my amounts like this, it soon will.

We were all expecting increases but not at this level - or at least, I wasn't.

Obviously we are paying for the other "so-called" special offers and VAT busters being rammed down our throats as we walk around the store, by paying through the nose for other items.

Don't you just hate supermarkets?!
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport