internet on Ubunto

Options

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'll probably be told my thoughts are unworthy and best ignored but explaining where to find a terminal window might be useful.
    So how does he? Of course it depends on which desktop window manager he has. but generally it is on the left top (search applications) if it is unity , but I abandoned Ubuntu years ago.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'll probably be told my thoughts are unworthy and best ignored but explaining where to find a terminal window might be useful.

Post #4 gave the following link to the official ubuntu documentation:
    You will also fine more helpful tutorials etc. on the community forum here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/index.html.en
    e.g. Using the Terminal

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

Entering commands using the terminal window is very similar to entering commands at the Windows Command prompt.
    anyone who can manage typing, backspacing, and cutting and pasting will be able to use the terminal (it is not more difficult than that).

However you think of commands as garbage only for geeks!
  • SuperSeagull
    Options
    I am not deliberately avoiding people or the advice that they have given but I am really getting confused so have decided I am going to connect the pc to the modem via an ethernet cable and see what happens. I will then go on from there and report back as to what happened.
  • SuperSeagull
    SuperSeagull Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 August 2019 at 4:44PM
    Options
    Hopefull we shall now be able to move on slowly.

I connected ethernet cable, modem to pc and managed to get connected to BBC Sport for a test match score update.

What do I do now to convert that to wireless to use not connected via ethernet cable?

Incidentally the blue wifi light didnt come on when connected to the modem.

I do not understand the headings for the boxes that have to be filled in
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    Hopefull we shall now be able to move on slowly.

I connected ethernet cable, modem to pc and managed to get connected to BBC Sport for a test match score update.

What do I do now to convert that to wireless to use not connected via ethernet cable?

Incidentally the blue wifi light didnt come on when connected to the modem.

I do not understand the headings for the boxes that have to be filled in
    Which boxes?
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • SuperSeagull
    edited 15 August 2019 at 5:34PM
    Options
    I click on NETWORK and it shows

Wired ....... shows .Cable unplugged plus Hardware Address

Vodafone (which I entered by using +) which shows not connected and user name (my name)

Network Proxy Method none/manual/automatic.
    Configuration Number ( empty box)
    Apply system wide, which if clicked requires a password. AIs that the Vodafone Key. I could just click it and see but am worried I will do something irretrievably wrong.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've used Mint for over 5 years and refuse to type garbage into terminals. I don't understand it and don't want to know.

Wow. That must make for a frustrating experience!
    Enjoy indulging your hobby but please understand some people simply want to use a computer and not mess with them.

Then why install Linux? :-/

Wouldn't Windows be easier for your needs?
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    I click on NETWORK and it shows

Wired ....... shows .Cable unplugged plus Hardware Address

Vodafone (which I entered by using +) which shows not connected and user name (my name)

Network Proxy Method none/manual/automatic.
    Configuration Number ( empty box)
    Apply system wide, which if clicked requires a password. AIs that the Vodafone Key. I could just click it and see but am worried I will do something irretrievably wrong.
    Right, you have not connected to the router via ethernet hence Cable unplugged message, can you please issue this command in a terminal Window
    sudo lshw -class network then press enter and tell us what comes up.

I can't understand why you changed from Mint to Ubuntu since they are basically derived from the same base(ok the others will tell me why they are not but hey ...)
  • SuperSeagull
    edited 15 August 2019 at 7:08PM
    Options
    I am quite happy to try anything but unfortunately do not have the knowledge so have to rely on simple advice from other people to talk me through it.

I changed from Mint to Ubunto becauise I was under the impression, from others, it would be easier but with Mint I know where the terminals are so I am going to reinstall mint and enter the command you say then get back on here. an hour or so.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    I am quite happy to try anything but unfortunately do not have the knowledge so have to rely on simple advice from other people to talk me through it.

I chnaged from Mint to Ubunto becauise I was under the impression, from others, it would be easier but with Mint I know where the terminals are so I am going to reinstall mint and enter the command you say then get back on here. an hour or so.
    Don't re-install try it as a live one , don't install the commands are the same
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure