The Edcawber Principle

Options

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Woohoo - employer has offered 3% payrise :)

Not bad as a minimum, although I think union petitioning government for a better deal. Certainly beats the last decade...
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Good news on the payrise.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Making good use of my train journey to update my approach to debt repayment to something a bit more boring :D

Have calculated that we can repay all debts before 2020 remortgage, but will require a small budget cut and the continued use of CB. From May I will make minimum payments + one monthly repayment for the rest. Dunno what I'll do with the rest of my time :rotfl:

£1.85 paid off a CC
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DD has decided that she wants to use the toilet after seeing one of her cousins toddling off to the bathroom with Mum - spontane ontaneous toilet training? :rotfl:
    The best sort :j:j:j

And congratulations on the payrise :j

Enjoy London - are you seeing something pretty, like I did yesterday, or something useful for work? Or both :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Neither! I'm just sort of pottering about, bit of this, bit of that :)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Dunno what I'll do with the rest of my time :rotfl:

Set up a business? Make cheese? do odd-jobs? learn a bit about gardening so it is a bit more pleasurable?
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgher
    edited 21 April 2018 at 9:42AM
    Options
    Set up a business? Make cheese? do odd-jobs? learn a bit about gardening so it is a bit more pleasurable?

Is it sad that the cheese one of those suggestions appeals the most? :D

I am also going to be spending a bit more time gardening this year, as needs must. On my list so far:
    • Set up a compost bin
    • Paint our new fence
    • Repair and paint our old fence
    • Scarify the front and side lawns
    • Probably sow the front and side lawns again!
    • Remove grass from the rear lawn and replant as a wildflower "meadow"
    • Improve the appearance of the "dead zone" where our conifer hedge was by planting some hydrangeas to act as colour, bee scran and a wind break

We had a chap in repairing brickwork to the walls of the house. He finished yesterday and while he appears to have done a solid job, I can't help but feel he was taking the !!!! as regards the amount of hours he billed for. Still, he was the only person to quote for the job and our front steps were literally at risk of collapsing :eek: £450 paid from our home maintenance fund, which is now at -£5? :o

I also bought a scarifying rake and an extendable window cleaning pole yesterday.

£74 paid off a CC (Am@zon voucher shuffle and a TT). Also, I owe the CC £11.89 once I can make another payment tomorrow morning.

Feeling a bit skint now.

Ps. Not really related to anything, but I saw a fantastic animated Chinese film called "Big Fish and Begonia" in London town - try and see it if your local cinema is showing it, so many feels ;)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options

I also bought a scarifying rake and an extendable window cleaning pole yesterday.

...................Feeling a bit skint now.

But at least you'll not need gym membership for the foreseeable, wielding that lot about! :D:T

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your gardening is like mine ... it's actually navvying :)

Bee scran! Not seen those two words together, but that's lovely! No idea if bees actually *like* hydrangea.

If you're still into planting perennials for edibles, have a look at a quince shrub, see if you've got room for the roots round there. I have a very mature one outside my back door (completely by chance, it wasn't me that planted it) and for about 3 weeks, starting from about a week ago, its full of bees. And I often get quince later in the year.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Options
    When does gardening actually become labouring??? Glad to say no gardening envy in SJ towers!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure