Be2 Dating site warning

Options
asparagus1968
asparagus1968 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
Debt-free and Proud!
edited 20 October 2012 at 5:26PM in Praise, vent & warnings
I signed up for a one month trial, £5.

To cancel,it said to fill in the form within the site at least 7 days before the trial ended.
I did this,and sent a letter,all well within the time limits.

first I got no response at all,then when they tried to take more money they said the online forms had not been received,and that my letter had arrived and was postmarked a month after I'd posted it!!

I've asked them to show/prove this about the letter-no reply...

I've sent LOADS of emails, stating I have followed all the T&C's set by them.

Now they are threatening legal action! which they say might affect my credit score.

Am really stressed.

Just found a website ( Be2 complaints) and it seems I'm not the only one.

Anyone out there dealing with them,want to share their story or advice please?
LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

Comments

• kermitfrog
    kermitfrog Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    Just ignore the threats.
  • jennyjj
    jennyjj Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Now they are threatening legal action! which they say might affect my credit score.

Am really stressed.

Total Loblocks They're BullPooping you!

http://antibe2scam.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/watch-out-be2-scam.html

Absolutely ignore them now, but keep any records of previous correspondence. Instruct your bank/Credit card company not to give them money under any circumstances. Tell your bank that any such debit from your account will be fraudulenmt and unauthorised. This set of scammers have been known to put through arbitray debits against cards even after many months, so watch your statements. If you tell your bank that debits are fraudulent, it will be treated far more firmly than just unauthorised.

Then ignore them to hell and back.

The threats of legal action are pure bluster. Ain't gonna happen. Maybe the odd threatening letter pretending to be official. Ignore.

They CANNOT affect your credit rating until all of the following have happened...
    They've taken you to court.
    They've presented a credible case
    You've had a chance to challenge their case
    They've won the case
    You lose the case
    You get subjected to a county court judgement
    You don't pay as instructed by that judgement

If you have acted in good faith I can promise you that NONE of the above will ever happen. They won't happen in that order :rotfl:
    Each hurdle that the scammers would have to jump is way too tall for their stumpy legs :)
    Even if by some technicality they can prove that you didn't follow cancellation process, that doesn't mean any of the above would happen.

JJ
  • asparagus1968
    Options
    oh wow, I am actually sat here in tears with relief!

thankyou so much for taking the time to look into this for me,I really appreciate it.

I actually closed the bank account as soon as they started denying they had my cancellation,even though they sent an automated reply saying my message had been received.

Oh, you wouldn't believe how relieved I feel.

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU

• jennyjj
    jennyjj Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy to help.

I did have one concern: That maybe your bank or credit card company would keep allowing them to take payment, as it used to be that only the company could stop such payments, and obviously these scum won't cancel. However, I now read that in spite of some conflicting advice, YOU can order your bank to stop paying.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/feb/24/continuous-payments-authority-know-your-rights

It seems you've done that by account closure. It's possibly worth a quick call to that bank's customer service line to check that they understand that any such debit attempt will be fraudulent.
    You need for payments to fail, and I figure they must be failing or else BE2 wouldn't be pestering you for unpaid amounts.

I've read a few threads where BE will start a 'pretend' debt collection process consisting of letters from dodgy solicitors and debt collectors. (Maybe Luxemburg or Ireland based).
    No doubt such letters would be very scary. If you get such letters copy them here, but DO NOT WORRY. This is just like the car parking scam (Search forum for Roxburghe) They huff and puff in a last ditch attempt to get you to pay a ransom, then when push comes to shove they just move on to their next easy victim.
    DO NOT reply to any such official looking letters in any way. DO NOT WORRY about them either.

Regardless of anything they tell you, their only redress is to sue you in the small claims court in the UK. They won't do that because they know they would lose and that would cost them money.

It's all one big 'try on'
    Read the accepted answer on this page... You don't need a solicitor as one respondent says.

http://www.justanswer.com/uk-law/5mid2-joined-internet-dating-website-called-be2-dating-paid.html

It's the business model of this scummy outfit. Try to get £150 of ongoing payment, often succeed in getting and keeping that money without a fight. If member blocks payment, then bluster about debt collection so maybe a few more members roll over and cough up, then send a shady 'solicitors letter' to squeeze out a few last chances at getting payment. Then just skulk back under their rock to wait for their next victim.

It's NOT in their business model to actually take cases to the small claims court, where they know they'll get a rollicking from the magistrate and will have no chance of covering their costs..

JJ
  • asparagus1968
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 3 December 2012 at 8:25PM
    Options
    got a letter today threatening legal action......

feel like such a fool.

but am going to ignore it,as advised.

will keep updating (though hope they give up soon)

• asparagus1968
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    legal letter from Irish lawyers arrived last week.
    says they will instruct Be2 to start court proceedings through an english law firm if i don't pay up within 7 days......

• troubled77
    Options
    Let the battle commence - received this email last week!

Companies like this need stopping in their tracks.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has challenged the solicitors etc.

Dear Be2 user,

We are writing to notify you that we are acting as the solicitors for the company
    be2 S.à.r.l., 291 Route d'Arlon, LU1150 Luxembourg.
    On 28.11.12 you booked access subject to a charge on the Be2 Website and booked
    the service. Your IP at the time of the registration was: *************. The access details
    were sent to you at (email address here) by e-mail. Your bank did not honour the direct debit
    submitted by our client. You now owe the due payment of EUR 184,35 plus
    a reminder charge, bank charges of EUR 10,57 and interest of EUR 1,10.

With our fees included, the total amount due that you have to pay is EUR 235,02.
    We request that you transfer the above amount to the account indicated below,
    quoting the reference number, by 24.01.13 at the latest.

Once payment has been received we shall close the matter and put the file on record.

Yours sincerely,

Auer Witte Thiel
    Solicitors

Bayerstraße 27, 80335 München
    Tel.: +49 (089) 59 06 83 16
    Fax: +49 (089) 59 06 83 145

Bank details:

Germany: Postbank München: account no.: 5 201 807 sort code: 70010080
    IBAN: DE76 7001 0080 0005 2018 07; SWIFT (BIC) PBNKDEFF
  • tonyex0079
    Options
    Hi there, I come from Taiwan. I also got the threat from Auer Witte Thiel.

So far my reply was as below,

After discussion with my bank, they prohibited be2’s any request in order to protect my account. In addition, they suggested me looking for help from Consumer Protection Committee (CPC) in Taiwan.

According to our Consumer Protection Law
    , their terms and condition invaded the following articles

Subject: Subchapter Two - Standardized Contracts:

a. Article 11: The terms and conditions used in the standard contracts by the business operators shall be based on the principles of equality and reciprocity.

b. Article 12: The terms and conditions in standard contracts, which violate the principle of good faith and are conspicuously unfair to consumers, shall be null and void. Where the terms and conditions of standard contracts fall within any of the following circumstances, they shall be presumed to be unfair:

1. Their conditions violate the principle of the equality and reciprocity;

2. They are obviously contradictory to the legislative purport of the discretionary provisions which may be excluded by such terms and conditions; or

3. Where the chief rights or obligations of the contract are restricted by such terms and conditions and as a result, the purpose of the contract cannot be achieved.

c. Article 16: Where articles for a standard contracts are null and void in whole or in part or do not constitute a part of the contract, and if the contract can be upheld without such portions, the remaining parts of the contract shall still be valid, except when they are obviously unconscionable to one of the parties, the entire contract shall be null and void.

I understand the cost of legal proceedings should be higher than the problem payment. However, I reject to be treated as an ATM that be2 can charge me anytime they want without fair.

I am trying to call Auer Witte Thiel, but I only heard the German which sounded like system voice. As I don't know German, I can not do anything. So :mad:
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    i think we all need to know..... if you found anyone on your trial?
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • charlie.smith_2
    Options
    I managed to get my subscription cancelled i had to FAX with my username, Country and email address to 02077859384, i also mentioned on the email i copied the email to my bank and to the ECC ( i didnt) I got a reply within the hour to say it had been cancelled, you wont be able to cancel on line as the support page does not work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure