Plusnet broadband top pick, we want your feedback

Options

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    2010 wrote: »
    Tell them to shove it and switch to TalkTalk.

£22-95 a month includes line rental(which you can pay upfront and get it even cheaper),free set up,unlimited downloads and no cutting back on speeds.
    Over the 18 months it will work out cheaper than your Plusnet deal and more reliable.

https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/broadband

I spoke to TalkTalk yesterday and they confirmed that they are no longer offering a line rental saver. Also, since the combination of line and broadband price the actual cost is up, because before you could reduce the line cost by paying 12 months in advance and ADSL was just £1.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I was with TalkTalk years ago and the broadband reliability was enough to make me cry, never mind laugh.

We have some TT shysters in our local town centre who shout out to passers by about their offers and questions like "are you happy with your broadband at home sir"? Since I replied in an equally loud voice "Yes, since I left TalkTalk and it actually works most of the time", they don't seem to bother me too much.

I wouldn't touch TT with the proverbial barge pole again.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It will be most interesting to see if the OFCOM abolishment of separately listed line rental for broadband also ends the practice of staggered landline & broadband contract tie-ins linked with discounts.

The previous practice was e.g. to offer 12 months landline pay upfront or commit = discount, and similar for 18 months broadband. Deliberately to make a clean break difficult. Let see....
    2010 Posts: 5,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I spoke to TalkTalk yesterday and they confirmed that they are no longer offering a line rental saver. Also, since the combination of line and broadband price the actual cost is up, because before you could reduce the line cost by paying 12 months in advance and ADSL was just £1.

I did look at Plusnet at the end of Aug when it was "free" for the first year.
    But I decided to stick with TT, who I`ve been with for eight years without any problems at all.
    From what you`ve posted, I just renewed in the nick of time.
    An 18 month contract and line rental upfront for 18 months.
  • talabags
    talabags Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 November 2016 at 7:57PM
    Options
    I signed up for their latest deal via your site link on Thursday, 13th October 2016. I was going to sign up to pay the line rental for the full 12 month contract all at once, but alas there was no option to do that. Anyhow have paid the first month and P&P for the router and will be billed £17.99 per month for the next eleven months. Also I should receive the £80 pounds cash back email within 10 days after my connection goes live. Will keep you informed on how it all works out.
    My telephone was transferred today and my BB went live 6 hours later just after 18:00. Also received an email saying my cash back is being processed, will update when it arrives.
  • teddysmum
    edited 15 October 2016 at 4:28PM
    Options
    talabags wrote: »
    I signed up for their latest deal via your site link on Thursday, 13th October 2016. I was going to sign up to pay the line rental for the full 12 month contract all at once, but alas there was no option to do that. Anyhow have paid the first month and P&P for the router and will be billed £17.99 per month for the next eleven months. Also I should receive the £80 pounds cash back email within 10 days after my connection goes live. Will keep you informed on how it all works out.

I have joined via PlusNet's own website (I got just £75 cashback ; offer is £50, now) and have paid the 12 months in advance (works out at £15.49 ), but I think that somewhere the site says you can opt into pay up front at any time.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JStuart wrote: »
    Why is it that these companies can change their contracts on a whim? I signed up for 12 months with Plusnet at £16.99. So that's what I expect to get... not three months in, receive an email, yes EMAIL, to say the price was going up to £17.99. Or I could terminate my contract with them, and have all the hassle of no internet while I scrabble to get a new provider.

When I spoke to a rep on the phone, he was rude. He ignored my question which was WHY is it going up, and asked me sarcastically, do you want to terminate your contract? Poor attitude, poor tone, poor service... on top of being miffed about the price increase.:mad:

My price went up to £14.49 pm a couple of months ago. Today I had an e mail saying that it was going to be over £20 pm for broadband only. I still have a couple of months with bt rental, I paid for the year rental in advance. I spoke to someone, he was polite but adamant that they would not reduce it. He said it would be cheaper if I got rental plus bb in one package. I may do this in a couple of months. Plusnet are playing hard and deviously at the moment
  • teddysmum
    Options
    There are very few companies that will sell broadband without line.

Can you not get a deal with BT, to take on your broadband ?
  • swabaxter
    Options
    I'm afraid your problems may not be over yet. I signed up in May 2015 with the offer of £100 cash back. It was supposed to arrive after 60 days but it never did. Contacting the Chief Executive of Plusnet has just resulted a whole series of excuses. I have just emailed the Chief Executive of the parent company who are BT.
  • swabaxter
    Options
    Lisacarmo wrote: »
    I signed up for the £75 cash back deal and paid for 12 months up front. My router was delivered early and the activation date was set for Monday 22nd August. However, my old Internet router stopped working on Mon 22nd but I had not received an activation email from Plusnet yet. I rang them the following day and they said that for some reason the broadband had not automatically activated so the lady on the phone did it there and then. I received the activation email, went home a few hours later and the broadband was not working when I plugged in the router. I phoned plusnet again (waited for 30 minutes) and the customer service guy took me through some steps to check the connection and said he would have to raise the fault with BT and if BT couldn't fix it then they would send out an engineer.

It is now 3 days later (5 days without broadband) and I had to contact plusnet again (20 min wait). The customer service guy didn't have a clue what was going on with our account due to the previous operators unclear notes and said that it was human error that this hadn't been sorted yet so he has to log it with BT (again!) and they will get back to me this evening! Overall, a very very messy experience which I had to constantly keep on top of them and received no updates from Plusnet in between calls.

What's the point in having a cheap broadband deal without the broadband??

I'm so annoyed by the whole situation as I'm trying to finish the last week of my Master's degree with no Internet!!! Off to the public libraries I go.

The only compensation thay Plusnet gave me (they didn't offer, I had to ask) was the delivery fee refunded for the router.

When I asked about cancelling they said I was in contract until August 2017....is this correct as they are not holding up their end of the contract (to provide broadband service)???

Any advice for me on this situation please?
    'm afraid your problems may not be over yet. I signed up in May 2015 with the offer of £100 cash back. It was supposed to arrive after 60 days but it never did. Contacting the Chief Executive of Plusnet has just resulted a whole series of excuses. I have just emailed the Chief Executive of the parent company who are BT.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure