Hogging right lane

Options

Comments

• Head_The_Ball
    Options
    If that did happen it would probably be because of drivers like yourself that fail to see any wrong in tailgating or flashing headlights.
    Not only are you still spectacularly missing the point, you are accusing me of condoning something that I have not condoned either here in this thread or elsewhere.

If your driving is as bad as your understanding of written English, I'm not surprised you get flashed and tailgated. ;)
  • wanderlust23
    Options
    Not only are you still spectacularly missing the point, you are accusing me of condoning something that I have not condoned either here in this thread or elsewhere.

If your driving is as bad as your understanding of written English, I'm not surprised you get flashed and tailgated. ;)
    And it is here that I shall leave this thread....
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2016 at 5:45PM
    Options
    Thank god for that.

Book yourself in for additional driver training please.

Scrub that, you will probably just tell the instructor he doesn't know what he is talking about. :D
  • Head_The_Ball
    Options
    This thread is a classic example of someone expecting to get positive comments, praise and agreement and then throwing his toys out of the pram when that doesn't happen.
  • ManuelG
    ManuelG Posts: 669 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We can go round in circles about this for another 10 pages.

Please lets do that.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    OP,

People have assumed and filled in the gaps because you have not explained everything that happened.

You say that you moved to RHL for at least 10 seconds before someone was up your !!!! flashing you.
    You say that once you did indicate the driver went past on the left.

I have not read whole thread, but even these 2 little bits of information is enough to tell us:
    A) RHL was virtually empty, because it took a long time (in driving terms) for someone to approach from behind.
    B) You feel that you entered the RHL at a point that was too early to indicate from.
    C) Left hand lane had sufficiently low traffic density for a pass on the left.

So I am left as a reader of your posts, given the above ABC, why did you move right before the point at which you would feel comfortable indicating from?

The point at which one can indicate comfortably from is quite a long distance, especially on a dual carriageway where one is turning right. Much much longer than say "a left hand turn in a 30 zone".

So my assumptions are:

1. You moved right too soon, unecessarily
    OR
    You don't realise just how far back from the turning, drivers should be indicating from.

2. You don't like to be criticised and will never admit any fault.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 October 2016 at 9:09PM
    Options
    high-horse.jpg?w=291&h=300

That's really quite childish.

If you can be in a car that weighs over a ton and think that there is no way you could ever drive better, then it is pretty much certain that at some point you will come unstuck. I just hope you don't take anyone else out in the process.

You could have reasoned with us by stating at what distance away you were, and yes, opinions may have differed as to the correctness of that timing, but instead you made assumptions about the traffic around you which can be at best inconsiderate and at worst dangerous.

If in future you find someone behind you tailgating and flashing you, as safely and as calmly as possible get out of their way. Let them past. Do you observations more carefully. Accept that you aren't perfect and actually no one else expects you to be. If someone wants to break the law, let them. It's their licence not yours. Yes you want to avoid points so you don't have to start again, but holding up people in an overtaking lane can lead to Careless driving conviction. The speed another driver wants to go won't be a defence to that.

And FYI:

I'm not an impatient driver. I spend 90% of my time on motorways and have driven over 70,000 miles in 3 years. I've made mistakes and misjudgements, and have been fortunate enough not to have been the cause of any accidents, though have been victim of one.

Tailgating is self defeating and pointless. In traffic I hold back a gap and keep a steady pace so I don't use my brakes unnecessarily. So yes, I get flashed sometimes because I don't immediately close the gap as it's pointless when if you are looking at the traffic ahead and it's not moving very quickly. Some drivers get annoyed when other people go into the gap you have left, but you don't lose time over it.

Learn to get over yourself. It's easy to be overconfident at the start, thinking that you are qualified. You may well know the theory of driving better than some, but practice makes a big difference in the real world. In the real world you have to be more pragmatic and think on your feet and be much more flexible.

Drive safe and take care.
  • But isn't the driver who flashed their lights hogging the lane themselves and should have moved over to the left
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    No. That was easy, next....
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    And considering that it was over a year ago, he's probably forgotten what he flashed for!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure