Hogging right lane

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• IanMSpencer
    Options
    The whole "I was doing the speed limit" is a can of worms as of course can you show you were doing the speed limit? Many drivers think they are driving at the limit when they are actually driving at about 65mph, even with their speedo pointing at 70. Are they then correct to be so self-righteous?

If I remember correctly, the issue with driving without due consideration is that another driver actually has to be inconvenienced. I doubt that the police or the CPS would be interested in proving that a speeding driver was actually inconvenienced - it is a can of worms no sensible CPS representative would ever want to open.

So due care and attention is the most likely offence. Changing lanes without signalling, without being aware of another car's presence (and I would say that the courts would not see speeding as mitigation - there have been drivers prosecuted for pulling out in front of motorcycles doing 100mph), and generally being unaware of what is going on would be the offence, but whether this incident would be enough for the police to be interested would probably depend on it being a police car behind.

More likely if the police managed to witness the event they might be inclined to stop the OP and have a chat for the good of the driver, applying the "attitude test". At this point the OP fails and talks himself into a ticket
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure