Hogging right lane

Options

Comments

• wanderlust23
    Options
    Waamo, please take the stand...

Using your mathematical expertise, could you tell us how you came to the conclusion that the defendant misjudged the speed of the plaintiff?
    waamo wrote: »

Ok some back of the envelope calculations. He caught you in about 8 seconds. If he was nowhere in sight that's got to be at least half a mile away. Half a mile in 8 seconds is a speed of about 225mph. Even quarter of a mile is well over a ton.

I have no further questions your honour.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    This is very reminiscent of another recent thread.

I don't suppose by any chance this is actually a hypothetical situation and really there was no tailgating?

Or was there?

Or not?

?
  • wanderlust23
    Options
    I don't post here often as you can see by my post count so I don't know the other thread you are referring to but what if it was a hypothetical situation (it's not) but what would it change? Or is this just a new line of questioning?
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    My own thoughts, with only reading about the first page is 'spare me from experienced drivers' who try and put down others. I didn't learn until I was 28 and passed first time after 6 hours of formal lessons, but I was quite able to identify bad driving, even before getting behind a wheel. So spare us the condescension, some of you.

Coming down into Portsmouth on the M27 there's a point where you need to be in the middle lane if you want to continue East in the Brighton direction, and there's always a decision to be made as to when to get into that lane based on the traffic. As it's best to be early making manoeuvres rather than late you can find yourself with traffic coming up on your inside which wants to go to Portsmouth. I sometimes flick my indicators just to confirm to them they can pass on my inside. To use nautical parlance, you are the stand on vessel, and it is for them to avoid you rather than dipping back into the nearside only for 30 seconds later pull out again.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2016 at 8:18PM
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    That's bad practice.

Having moved to the right hand lane, people behind have no way of knowing if the continued signal means that you're turning or that you've forgotten to cancel your indicator..

I disagree with you,

There would be a road sign showing the right turn is up ahead, there might even be a warning triangle sign showing the turning ahead.

Anyone behind a car in the right hand lane who is indicating right whilst approaching a right hand turning is going to assume that car is intending to turn right at the turning. There is the possibility of they have forgotten to cancel, but the overwhelming assumption will be that of an intention to turn right.

In my reading of the thread so far - (up to post #35):
    The OP has said they were not indicating, and at the point that they did indicate, the car passed by on the OP LHS. Which tells us there was no one to the OPs left (empty lane), which helps to explain why the driver behind was so annoyed. and it tells us that the driver behind once notified of the intention to turn was then able to go on the left as many of us would also have done.

What the OP has not said is what distance before the turning right, did they migrate to the right hand lane? and at what distance did they start to indicate right? We already know they were in the lane for at least 10 seconds before the intention to turn right was given.

In my opinion, The OP should take care not to move right until an appropriate distance has been reached before the turning, and before moving right, to check your mirrors (and shoulder) to see if anyone is fast approaching in the right hand lane, and if so, then to delay the move to the right accordingly. And once in the right hand lane, as soon as they see any vehicle coming behind them, then to indicate right (if not already doing so) regardless of the distance to the junction. (because you won't have moved right until it is appropriate to do so, so an "early" indication right is not really going to be "early" as such, otherwise if it is too early to indicate right, you know you have migrated to the right lane too early, so to speak..

HTH
  • wanderlust23
    Options
    Wig wrote: »
    I disagree with you,

There would be a road sign showing the right turn is up ahead, there might even be a warning triangle sign showing the turning ahead.

Anyone behind a car in the right hand lane who is indicating right whilst approaching a right hand turning is going to assume that car is intending to turn right at the turning. There is the possibility of they have forgotten to cancel, but the overwhelming assumption will be that of an intention to turn right.

In my reading of the thread so far - (up to post #35):
    The OP has said they were not indicating, and at the point that they did indicate, the car passed by on the OP LHS. Which tells us there was no one to the OPs left (empty lane), which helps to explain why the driver behind was so annoyed. and it tells us that the driver behind once notified of the intention to turn was then able to go on the left as many of us would also have done.

What the OP has not said is what distance before the turning right, did they migrate to the right hand lane? and at what distance did they start to indicate right? We already know they were in the lane for at least 10 seconds before the intention to turn right was given.

In my opinion, The OP should take care not to move right until an appropriate distance has been reached before the turning, and before moving right, to check your mirrors (and shoulder) to see if anyone is fast approaching in the right hand lane, and if so, then to delay the move to the right accordingly. And once in the right hand lane, as soon as they see any vehicle coming behind them, then to indicate right (if not already doing so) regardless of the distance to the junction. (because you won't have moved right until it is appropriate to do so, so an "early" indication right is not really going to be "early" as such, otherwise if it is too early to indicate right, you know you have migrated to the right lane too early, so to speak..

HTH
    Due to not reading the full thread (can't blame you) this is just going round in circles. The same points are being made and I'm not going to repeatedly respond to them. I will however respond to the point you made about the left lane being empty. It's not the left lane that's the issue, it's rather the difficulty in moving into the right lane when people treat it like a race track. The left lane could be empty for miles but it's not much use when you need to move into the right lane so you can take a right turn but are being impeded by the Lewis Hamiltons on the road.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not the left lane that's the issue

Jesus wept.

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

It's the left lane that this is all about.

One doesn't drive in the right hand lane when the left hand lane is free - unless you are indicating right for the right turn ahead.

If you had been indicating right then the impatient driver would more than likely have gone past on your left with no problem - no flashing - no tail-gating - everyone happy.

But not you though - I get the distinct impression you still feel that you didn't need to indicate as:

If I'm doing the maximum speed limit for that road and I plan on taking the next right I fail to see what the issue is?
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Iceweasel's post above,

If the left lane is comfortably empty, then stay in it until it is appropriate to move to the right lane. This will be dependant on distance to the turning and traffic density in the right lane,
    heavy density, unlikely to be moving very fast, but not difficult to indicate right and after a few seconds of indicating move right, possibly accelerating as you do so, then joining with the flow of traffic and indicate right for the turning.

light density, likely to be the odd zoom-zoomer but easy enough to move over and indicate right at an appropriate distance.
  • wanderlust23
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    Jesus wept.

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

It's the left lane that this is all about.

One doesn't drive in the right hand lane when the left hand lane is free - unless you are indicating right for the right turn ahead.

If you had been indicating right then the impatient driver would more than likely have gone past on your left with no problem - no flashing - no tail-gating - everyone happy.

But not you though - I get the distinct impression you still feel that you didn't need to indicate as:

If I'm doing the maximum speed limit for that road and I plan on taking the next right I fail to see what the issue is?
    How ridiculous. So are you saying anyone using the right hand lane to turn right must have their indicator on at all times? How many people do you see doing that? I would like to think most people enter the right lane at the time that is most appropriate to move over so as not to cause an accident and then indicate when it is most appropriate to do so (usually not too much of a gap between the two if judged right) The two don't always happen 2 seconds apart. If you say that's how it happens for you every time you're in that situation you are lying.
  • wanderlust23
    Options
    Wig wrote: »
    I agree with Iceweasel's post above,

If the left lane is comfortably empty, then stay in it until it is appropriate to move to the right lane. This will be dependant on distance to the turning and traffic density in the right lane,
    heavy density, unlikely to be moving very fast, but not difficult to indicate right and after a few seconds of indicating move right, possibly accelerating as you do so, then joining with the flow of traffic and indicate right for the turning.

light density, likely to be the odd zoom-zoomer but easy enough to move over and indicate right at an appropriate distance.
    Isn't that what I've said all along? People need to stop jumping on the bandwagon and making assumptions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure