Add your feedback on energy supplier Extra Energy

Options

Comments

• Feeder16
    Feeder16 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm having major problems with this company at the moment.

The house we have just moved into had them as the existing supplier. Firstly they would not speak to me for data protection reasons, despite only having my partners name as 'data' which was noted by the existing owner of the house. I asked them how they can be protecting my data, if they held no data for me.

Now I am going round the house trying to close my account, I have switched to EDF who have accepted my opening readings, despite also providing Extra Energy the same readings as closing ones, they have issued a final bill based on estimates( I owe more for gas, but significantly less for electric); they have also said an engineer was sent out to check the readings but was unable to get to the meters (both meters are located external next to the front door). I am now 10 working days gone and they are not replying to my emails.

What should my next step be?
  • applicationcen
    applicationcen Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 October 2017 at 2:04PM
    Options
    Feeder16 wrote: »

The house we have just moved into had them as the existing supplier. Firstly they would not speak to me for data protection reasons, despite only having my partners name as 'data' which was noted by the existing owner of the house. I asked them how they can be protecting my data, if they held no data for me.

Now I am going round the house trying to close my account, I have switched to EDF who have accepted my opening readings, despite also providing Extra Energy the same readings as closing ones, they have issued a final bill based on estimates( I owe more for gas, but significantly less for electric); they have also said an engineer was sent out to check the readings but was unable to get to the meters (both meters are located external next to the front door). I am now 10 working days gone and they are not replying to my emails.

EE are not to be trusted.
    Step 1 - use EE’s email address to make an official complaint detailing all your issues. I would also print your complaint out AND use a recorded delivery letter to ensure you have proof of the date that you made the complaint.

Phone: 0800 953 4774 (Mon-Fri: 8am - 8pm and Sat: 9am – 5pm)
    Email: customercare@extraenergy.com
    Post: Extra Energy Supply Ltd, PO Box 10243, Ashby de la Zouch, LE65 9ED

Step 2 - if you are certain that they are incorrectly charging you should consider removing any Direct Debit. Don't let them take any money until you are certain the bill is correctly calculated and proof of the calculations is in a simple understandable format. There is nothing illegal about stopping a direct Debit especially with the amount of evidence against EE abusing customers through unprofessional billing tricks. Tabulate the actual readings and offer to pay them the outstanding amount by cheque on condition that the payment is in full and final settlement. If they do not agree in writing that you have made a payment in final settlement, then don't trust them.

Step 3 - use the instructions on the Energy Ombudsman to lodge a complaint if EE do not rectify or respond within the statutory time limits.

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy/complain-now?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI66fj1tv81gIVBxIbCh08PgKTEAAYASAAEgJrQvD_BwE

This Ofgem investigation is currently reviewing the very worst type of complaints possible in the spectrum of bad things that energy companies are capable of – short of physically damaging their customers.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-opens-investigation-extra-energys-customer-service-and-billing-processes
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Feeder16 wrote: »

You won't be able to switch supplier until you are registered with the existing supplier.

Contact the supplier and explain you have just moved in and wish to create an account - the supplier knows there has been a change of ownership as the last customer has done the right thing and advised the supplier he has moved out :)

(You might want to check with your partner that she hasn't already done this ;))

Theres some video information on their front page for people moving in

Also there is some info in their FAQ's - check it out :)
  • bjdav14
    Options
    to anybody out there that is thinking of perhaps saving a bit of money and signing up to these, please save yourself a hell of a lot of trouble and spend a few more pounds and go anywhere else but these. just had my direct debit increased from £68 per month to £207 per month despite the fcat that i am only £86 in debit a month before xmas. customer service is next to useless and because of this i have switched to british Gas. i have lodged a formal complaint with them and will be no doubt be taking this to ofgem. please do not sign up to these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 November 2017 at 3:17PM
    Options
    bjdav14 wrote: »
    to anybody out there that is thinking of perhaps saving a bit of money and signing up to these, please save yourself a hell of a lot of trouble and spend a few more pounds and go anywhere else but these. just had my direct debit increased from £68 per month to £207 per month despite the fcat that i am only £86 in debit a month before xmas. customer service is next to useless and because of this i have switched to british Gas. i have lodged a formal complaint with them and will be no doubt be taking this to ofgem. please do not sign up to these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ofgem will not be interested in your complaint against any energy supplier.

It seems quite a common problem with quite a few suppliers who change monthly DD amounts without good cause. I think it was EDF that I had repeated issues with in the past on this, and I think BG have also been known to do so (usually based on forward pricing based on Ofgem's own mandated calculation method when a fixed term plans to end within 12 months of the calculation date).

There's even an MSE article that explains how to fight back
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/lower-energy-direct-debits

However, if your account is already in debt at this time of year, it sounds like you completely mis-judged your anticipated annual consumption in kWh when you joined the supplier. This means that your comparison could also be misleading.

I suggest you find out what the anticipated annual aconsumption is now expected to be, and run another comparison asap.

If you have already switched supplier, I see no reason any supplier would now alter your monthly DD. Await the final bill (the supplier has 6 weeks to produce this from actaul switch date) and be prepared to pay whatever you owe.

Good luck!
  • GEDJARVIS
    Options
    take my advice... AVOID!
  • GEDJARVIS
    Options
    Avoid Extra Energy at all costs. When they mess up they blame the customer and as a customer I have lost out.....AVOID.
  • ijc403
    Options
    Like many others - my experience with this company is bad....all bad! I had a number of problems to such an extent that I ended up making a formal complaint - which they ignored! (in breach of industry regulations). Eventually, I took a case to the Energy Ombudsman and a variety of sanctions were imposed upon Extra Energy. Lessons learned....(1) Avoid Extra Energy like the plague and (2) referring an energy company to Ofgem was a surprisingly easy, efficient and effective process.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was with them for 2 years and they were pretty poor, took 7 months to get my credit back but it was less than £1. My daughter was with them for 3.5 years with no major problems except for lack of bills in the early stages. For the past couple of years the bills have been on time and accurate. As soon as they got the switch message from the new supplier they stopped taking the DD. Switch was 13 Nov and final bill issued 30th Nov with the £30 outstanding to be taken 10th Dec. Pretty efficient in that respect.
  • BOBef
    Options
    Avoid at all costs. Their “Customer service” has been obstructive & dismissive with my situation. They did offer the best fixed rate at the time I went on supply so no argument there but the downside has been the unnecessary & forever increasing direct debit charges & very poor customer service to try & resolve issues. Six ‘phone calls totalling over two hours over two days to get nowhere. Very poor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure