PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

Options

Comments

• MunniMuncha
    Options
    Brrrrrrrr it's cold! :(

I was just wondering whether you freeze onions when they are raw? Stupid question I know but Lido have a 5kg bag for £1.99 and seeing as I am paying around 90p for 3 :eek: thought this would be a good buy and freeze them all.

Many thanks

Happy Friday everyone :j
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying!:rotfl:

June GC - £352.04/£350
    SP challenge 3P £171.28:j:j:j
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I was just wondering whether you freeze onions when they are raw?
    I top, tail, skin and chop first - but yes, they freeze fine :)

I put them into the freezer in smallish quantities (about 100-150g/bag), which means that even if it sticks together as it freezer I can pull out enough for one meal at a time....
    Cheryl
  • raphanius
    raphanius Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £3.49 for a graze box to declare
    Wins: 2008: £606.10 2009: £806.24 2010: £713.47 2011: 328.32
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    elsiepac wrote: »
    I do need to get some honey to make my honeyed carrot soup tonight - I had a little left in the cupboard but on checking this morning, turns out it expired in April 2010 so will buy some more tonight on the way.
    I've used honey a lot older than that before - the worst that happens is that it crystallises in the jar, but if I need to be able to spread it I stand the jar in a bowl of warm water for a while and it soon become useable :)
    Cheryl
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was just wondering whether you freeze onions when they are raw? Stupid question I know but Lido have a 5kg bag for £1.99 and seeing as I am paying around 90p for 3 :eek: thought this would be a good buy and freeze them all.

Many thanks

Yes you can - chop them up and freeze them spread out in the plastic bag so they don't stick together into one lump. Waitflower even sell them like this (left some for DS when we left him to fend for himself last summer and also developed the solid lump of onion when I first tried to emulate it Ha Ha :()
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Crowdpleaser
    Crowdpleaser Posts: 1,277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Come on here to give myself a firm slap on the wrist. £1.77 in po*ndstretcher yest on kitchen foil and a bag of mistrels (slap hand). Today spent £1.50 on a bag of chips (double hard slap). Must try harder!

xxx
  • Ess-six
    Ess-six Posts: 141 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2012 at 5:11PM
    Options
    Just popping to to update my signature following first few days shopping of the month - I just have to buy veg and milk etc tomorrow as my meal plan for this week is aimed at using up some of the whoopsies and offers that are in the freezer....to make room for more whoopsies and offers of course!

Helen Jelly, I am happy to be a number, but like many other posters I rarely look at the list at the front on the thread - we all post our target at the start of the month and then declare at the end of the month, along with comments as to how we feel the month has gone, and I read this, so no need for the list as far as I'm concerned.....save yourself some time.......but whatever you decide to do I'd like to add my thanks to you and the others who run this thread:beer:
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    just back from @sd@ spent £44.90
    have spent 38% of my feb budget already
    no real bargains either , it seems more and more expensive each time i go .
    sig updated
  • tracey12_2
    Options

Many thanks

I freeze raw onions as well. Just make sure that you double bag them as they tend to make the freezer smell otherwise ;)

Tracey
    Officially debt free :j
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Many thanks

If I want onions to throw into a stew then I would freeze them raw but if I am wanting fried then I would cook them first.

Dont know whether its still on but Rosspa were doing 4kg for 50p
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family