PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 November 2010 at 10:16AM
    Options
    Morning peeps :wave:

i`m off to update my siggy shortly with spends of £17.47 in MrM.

There are a couple of things on there that wouldn`t normally be included like batteries but i`ve now decided that anything that doesn`t have a proper budget will be included. The wine making bits and bobs will also be included as i was already pondering that one last month.

Usually any bits and bats that are extra come out of what is left in the bank at the end of the month but as there`s not likely to actually be anything left now i need to account for absolutely everything and really tighten our belts.

DH went into work yesterday and the receivers had been called in so as of yesterday he is now officially unemployed for the first time in his life. He won`t get paid the wages that he is due for quite some time and it won`t be much but knowing that there`s nothing going into the bank until the end of the month when i get paid is very scary.

I need to be extra careful and look after every penny. I really need to look at the direct debits too and make sure that none of them will take us overdrawn - may have to cancel the odd one or two but hopefully with a bit of a squeeze we`ll manage.

The grocery challenge is now more important to us than ever before, but fingers crossed and chin up - we should manage ok.

I`m waiting to stock up on dogfood but can`t see the offers coming back on for a while, if there arn`t any this month i`ll do a rollover and get double when i see a good offer. I`ve enough to see us through to the end of the month as i was doing a winter stock up so thats good news :D

Spiggle - Hope that you`re feeling better now!

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • toddles*
    toddles* Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    morning all

OH came home last night from parents (they are Lincolnshire farmers) with a HUGE joint of topside and 3 packs of fillet steaks. So Ill be cooking the joint today in the slow cooker if it will fit, with some mash and yorkshires yum. Tomorrow beef stew, then stroganoff. Will save the steaks as will probably be sick of beef by the weekend. so anouncing another NSD for me today!
    Happy days
  • Souk08
    Souk08 Posts: 3,240 Forumite
    Options
    Hey, sorry it's late but can you put me down for £60 this month thanks X
    'The road to a friends house is never long'
  • Rebekah24
    Options
    £2 spent at Mr T

Bit of cheese for the old man's tea
    Grapefruit
    3 loaves of Hovis - woopsie from £1.15 down to 19p

Shouldnt need to shop now until next week, pretty much having lots of water, tea and cranberry juice. Flush kidney infection out!! 1/2 a tin of soup at hand if I need a little something!

onwards and upwards!
    OU Law student
    May Grocery challenge
    £30/ £11
  • nellis10
    nellis10 Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Spent £5.80 at the local Spar...

Got 2 x 2pack Bounty Kitchen Roll (making croutons and need to drain the oil off) for £1.19 per pack as opposed to 1 x 4 pack of spar Kitchen roll for £3.05 so a little saving there!!!!

Making croutons from Soda Bread to go with Home Made Beetroot Soup I'm making and finally and Creme Fraiche/Cream ( I like creme fraiche, DH likes cream!)

Oh and I got pancakes for DS lunchbox for rest of week.

Kitchen Roll 2.38
    Pancakes 1.00
    Soda Bread 0.79
    Creme Fraiche 1.09
    Cream 0.54

And I asked for an itemised receipt for a change so I could track my spending!!! :)
    2024 Challenges
    • Grocery Budget (January £0/£300)
    • Decluttering (Underway!)
    • Frugal Living (January £0/£500
    • 24 in 2024 (0/24)
  • LannyLee
    LannyLee Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sunnyday - big {{HUGS}}, am sorry to hear about your OH!
  • sveika
    sveika Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    First challenge in grocery spending!! Target: £100 for November

First shopping in November:
    £1.50 for milk in Farmfoods
    £12.25 in Tesco
    £13.75 so far.
  • sveika
    sveika Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    niksyg wrote: »
    Have just had to pop out and buy milk - £3.06 spent. Milk's so dear!

Do you want to try the milk from Farmfoods? Very nice milk (as good as Cravendale IMO) and only £1.50 for 4 litres.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya,

I'm trying for £375 this month,
    Month will start 29th October and finish 26th November

Previously: Tesco £52.54
    Co-op £11.65

Total £64.19

I would like to come in at £75.00 per week to be on target.

It might be an idea for me to keep any receipts during the week, my idea is that this will show the items I "nip to the shops for", so I can get everything once at the "big shop".

Also, currently Mr T and Sainsburys give you 5p off a litre of fuel if you spend over £50.00, worth having if I get everything at once. :T
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just thought I would pop in and say sorry to hear about your OH Sunnyday...hopefully he finds a new job soon.....

Spiggle - hope you feel better soon

NSD for me today - having pitta bread, with some leftover ham and camenbert which needed using up in the fridge :D
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills