PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• bex2002
    bex2002 Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Well i have done my first shop of the month and spent £12.19 is Mr A. Got the 2 loaves of Bread for £1.50, some veg to have with dinner, Milk @2 for £2 and a few bits for lunch.
    £27.76/£2018 in 2018
  • hamish222
    hamish222 Posts: 716 Forumite
    Options
    Went into Mr M's to get the loo roll offer as was sure didn't have any. When arrived back dh reminded me that had put two giant packs in spare room. So have enough to last a while. Also stocked up on some other offers on washing up liquid and dry food for cats. So well stocked up and lateshift next 3 days so unless need milk should be 3 NSD's
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
  • sharronej
    sharronej Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    I totally agree with that :)

I wish I could find them for that price.

I always find Leeks are extremely expensive, regardless of the time of year it seems, and regardless of where you buy them from.

I bought one yesterday from Te$co to put in my Shepherdess Pie tomorrow, and it cost me 47p....for just the one!

I've tried A$da, Te$co, M&S (in desperation) and my local F&V Shop, and they always cost an arm and a leg, and when they are on offer in £idl, it's always a week when I'm not needing any.

I don't have a local market and there is nowhere else within walking distance that I can try. To be fair, I only use them twice a month, but it's still a lot of money for 1 damned leek!

Could you consider a bag of frozen leeks that you can dip into as and when? I've used them before and they are fine especially for soups and casseroles.
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sunnyday wrote: »
    Hi peeps,

- My nearest Lidl is pants too, won`t be going there again!

SD

I like the l!dl near me, I only pick up certain things though, i find it good for veg for the guinea piggies and i have just picked up their cheese and lurpak offers
    in 1 week i go to ald!, l!dl, sainsbugs and t3sco and pick the best offers from each , then meal plan accordingly ( i search it on my supermarket before i go ) it is time consuming but i think it does help sav money :D
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry have been a missing a bit lately. Havent had a chance to catch up yet either but ho[ing to tonigt or tomorrow!! Did my usual shop last night so my total is sitting at £16.22 for the month. Got a fair bit last night so shouldnt NEED anything else for the week. Hugs to those who need them and get better soon to all those with the nasties
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    I always find Leeks are extremely expensive, regardless of the time of year it seems, and regardless of where you buy them from.

I bought one yesterday from Te$co to put in my Shepherdess Pie tomorrow, and it cost me 47p....for just the one!

I've tried A$da, Te$co, M&S (in desperation) and my local F&V Shop, and they always cost an arm and a leg, and when they are on offer in £idl, it's always a week when I'm not needing any.
    !

I bought a pack of 3 from a1di 2 or 3 weeks ago at 69p (super 6 offer) and chopped a nd froze them. They were quite nice leeks too - I don't like the hulking great things you sometimes get in Stresco :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • hedgesparrow
    Options
    adelight wrote: »
    That sounds great, and that was without vinegar?
    10kg of chapatti flour is £3/£4 at Tesco until Nov 7th so I will order some in my next big shop instead of getting approvedfoods bread mix :j

That was with a teaspoon of vinegar (I used malt) mixed in with the water. Thanks for the info about the price at Tesc
    mummygems wrote: »
    I am going to give this a try. Can I please ask, if you cooked it in your breadmaker, which programme you put it on? I have so many different ones!

I am also hoping that being like hovis and not fully wholemeal means that my little ones will acutally eat it and I dont have to buy anymore shop bread!

I have made loads of meals from scratch these past 2 weeks and am very pleased with myself indeed (and no-one has turned their nose up - yet). :beer:
    NSD for me today.

I did the basic bake white bread programme. On our machine that was 4 hours, medium crust.
    Grocery Challenge £114.22/ £110
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    10 days gone of my month and £104.41 spent leaving me £135.59 for the next 21 days. I include entertainment and all household spends in my total and the majority of the money spent has gone on 2 nights out, new teats and soothers for the baby (I keep losing them:o) and 2 lunches out. Luckily there are no social events planned for the rest of the month so I should stay within budget.
    I need to buy some eggs and an orange for baking and a couple of red peppers to turn the huge butternut squash I have in the bottom of my fridge into soup or it will get wasted. I may get some Mr S basics peperoni for DH and we will have HM pizzas on Saturday night.:p
    Our organic veg box including milk and more eggs arrives early Friday morning so there is nothing else I need until Sunday when I will need to get fruit and bread for DH lunches, dog food and formula.
    I still haven’t sorted out the cupboards or updated the freezer list so my meal plan for this week has not been done. I have a rough idea in my head for next week built around what’s in the veg box and the freezer contents as I need to free up some space.

Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    sharronej wrote: »
    Could you consider a bag of frozen leeks that you can dip into as and when? I've used them before and they are fine especially for soups and casseroles.

I have considered this actually sharron but I've not been able to find any, so I assumed that they don't freeze well and gave up on the idea.

They obviously do exist if you use them though, so where do you get yours from?
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I get my frozen leeks from Farmfoods. ;)

Another emergency shop to Mr T last night for milk, bananas, cheese and tatties. Should last us now till Friday. :)

£4.40 to deducted from sig. Where does it all go?? :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport