Experian - Be Warned

Options

Comments

• anotherpaul_2
    Options
    WD40 wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Taken from Wikipedia[/FONT]:
    "[FONT=&quot]In August 2005 Experian accepted that it had violated the Federal Trade Commission rules relating to the provision of free credit reports by mandating members to provide credit card information before a request is fulfilled. The Federal Trade Commission's fraud unit received several complaints regarding this tactic and agreed to a settlement with the company"[/FONT]

There is the option to apply for a statutory report by post, paying by cheque or postal order, so they aren't technically breaching this - you can get your report without giving them your credit card details.

With regard to the monthly fee, I've had the free 30-day trial before, and it was obvious to me that they would charge me if I didn't explicitly cancel. However, it was several years ago, so I don't know if the wording has changed. Maybe I knew about cancelling because I read it somewhere else - or maybe I read the terms and conditions more completely (they won't show them to me now, since I've already had a free trial, so I can't check what they say).
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    WD40 wrote: »
    No. But you're not a government-sanctioned credit checking agency, are you?

The spiel given to me by the Experian employee was highly rehearsed. It was clear that she had it memorised, and has given it to many people before.

My fault is that I didn't expect a govt-sanctioned credit body to implement a technique only seen elsewhere on 'seedy' websites.

BTW - As I said before, my complaint is the least of any Experian-user's worries. There are hundreds of people out there who've really had their lives negatively affected, as opposed to having a few quid taken from their wallet like I did.

10dy64o.gif
  • anotherpaul_2
    Options
    bigbum wrote: »
    I've been using Experian off and on to check my credit file for the last couple of years. I've never had any problems when calling to cancel the subscription. I like to check every 3-6 months and always call them to cancel subscrpition a few days after paying. Experian then tell me when my access will expire.

As someone else said, the 'small print' is pretty clear on fees and payment.

Are you paying them the monthly fee each time to signup? You do know you can get all the information (in a slightly less friendly format) in the post for a £2 one-off fee, don't you? There's a link to the statutory report on their homepage.

(Or, BoGoF's comment may also be relevant.)
  • bigbum_2
    bigbum_2 Posts: 866 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers Anotherpaul and BoGoF,

yeah, i'm aware of both. I'm happy to check my file 3-4 times a year. Recently did a check before applying for Cap1 and Vanquis cc.

Thanks for the info though.
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I cancelled my Experian trial within the relevant period but they charged me £4.99 for viewing my report. Twice.
  • WD40
    WD40 Posts: 54 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2009 at 6:49PM
    Options
    Bang head here? As I said before, Experian have a track record for using stealth to feed off those who use their services. My thoughts are with the hundreds, if not thousands of people whose horror stories you will read in Google.

If the government had any decency, and weren't terrified of big business (which is why we, the tax-payer, had to bail out the banks), we'd have credit checking agencies that used scrupulous techniques to generate income. After all, we all need to check that we're not victims of fraud. Maybe, by letting the likes of Experian rip us off, it gives the Govt. more justification in wasting tax-payers' money on ID cards? Paranoia over credit problems eased by ID cards...???

But hey, when you consider the atrocities this govt. has sponsored, it becomes apparent that you are banging your head against a brick wall. Not a conscience between them...
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And as I said before, it's all very last century. Do you honestly think you are telling us something we didn't know? Get with the program. :rolleyes:

If you haven't got the common sense to read properly what you are agreeing to before handing your credit card details over then more fool you for not reading it properly.

You already admitted that you didn't bother reading what you were agreeing to so who's fault is that? Small print is there for a reason.

Have you ever heard the expression 'There's one born every minute'? I know a fair few builders who could make a fortune out of you. lol
  • PROLIANT
    PROLIANT Posts: 6,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    shgotspesvs.jpg
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
  • WD40
    WD40 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    gomer wrote: »
    And as I said before, it's all very last century. Do you honestly think you are telling us something we didn't know? Get with the program. :rolleyes:

If you haven't got the common sense to read properly what you are agreeing to before handing your credit card details over then more fool you for not reading it properly.

You already admitted that you didn't bother reading what you were agreeing to so who's fault is that? Small print is there for a reason.

Have you ever heard the expression 'There's one born every minute'? I know a fair few builders who could make a fortune out of you. lol

As I stated earlier, a government-sanctioned credit checking agency is the last place I thought I'd be ripped off. The whole process is designed to obfuscate the fact that Experian are getting you to sign up to a membership, in the guise of a 'trial'.

I really don't know what you're trying to prove by insulting me by saying 'there's one born every minute'. Maybe you approve of the practice of hiding stealth clauses in small print? Maybe you're just a jerk who gets off on belittling people on the Internet?
  • melorablack
    melorablack Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    Options
    Erm....it says "[FONT=&quot]If you choose to stay as a member after your free 30 day trial your card will be charged the monthly membership fee of £6.99."
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    How is that not clear exactly?[/FONT][FONT=&quot] :rolleyes:
    [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business