Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Plastic Bags Charities Put Through Letterboxes.

Options

Comments

• shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not to worry, though it did conjure up an image of a pile of charity bags gently snoring !

I have been guilty of some " Spoonerisms " in my time !

shammy
  • Bacchus_061
    Options
    Might be able to sell the idea to Dave!
    Wine, women and weasels :D Anything else starting with 'w'?
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    some years ago when my father used to let property out, he would visit a popular second hand furniture store. I accompanied him one day and was suprised when entering the store to see loads of Heart Foundation charity bags full all over the place, with some less well of folk fumbling through them. I did ask the owner how he got hold of the bags? His reply was that the charity actually sells a bag of donated goods in bulk for around £1.50 to £2 per a bag to him!!!!!:eek: WTH i was thinking.

I used to place some really good old or small clothes in these charity bags. Now we get around 2-4 charity bags a week, which can be a bit of a nuisance, especially when they all want to come on the same day. I now try to spread my clothes/unwanted items between charities, but got to admit i prefer to give smaller clothes to 3rd World charities, rather than the Heart Foundation.
  • eco
    eco Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have a lot of rag traders near where I live, and I believe most of the bags I get are from them, but I use the bags for leaves in autumn, they always have holes in the bags and are perfect for the job.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mutley74 wrote: »
    some years ago when my father used to let property out, he would visit a popular second hand furniture store. I accompanied him one day and was suprised when entering the store to see loads of Heart Foundation charity bags full all over the place, with some less well of folk fumbling through them. I did ask the owner how he got hold of the bags? His reply was that the charity actually sells a bag of donated goods in bulk for around £1.50 to £2 per a bag to him!!!!!:eek: WTH i was thinking.

I used to place some really good old or small clothes in these charity bags. Now we get around 2-4 charity bags a week, which can be a bit of a nuisance, especially when they all want to come on the same day. I now try to spread my clothes/unwanted items between charities, but got to admit i prefer to give smaller clothes to 3rd World charities, rather than the Heart Foundation.

You'd be amazed at the disgusting tat and rubbish people put in their bags that is totally unsaleable. Most charities sell this truly gruesome stuff to rag merchants, so at least they get something for it.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • hatewashingmachines
    Options
    Valanita wrote: »
    That is what I intend to do, but I don't drive so have to wait till my Daughter can take me.

I once had about 4 bags full of chrity stuff; I don't drive and so I rang my local Cancer Research shop who happily put me in touch with a volunteer who came and collected the items from me.
    To be in your child's memories tomorrow, be in their life today.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We had bags from four different charities last week through our letter box. Because we get rogue collectors round our way who drive around early looking for any filled bags and steal them before the legitimate collectors appear on a certain day I refuse to engage in charity doorstep collections. Also, if you look on a lot of bags, they're not all true charities. They may print a Registered Number. This is the registration number of their company which is a commercial operation. If it's a true charity, the wording will be Registered Charity Number. This is a big difference.
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    Because we get rogue collectors round our way who drive around early looking for any filled bags and steal them before the legitimate collectors appear on a certain day I refuse to engage in charity doorstep collections. .

take the reg number and photo if you can of the person collecting (use a camera on your mobile if possible) and call the charity and/or police.
  • Haarlem
    Haarlem Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mutley74 wrote: »
    take the reg number and photo if you can of the person collecting (use a camera on your mobile if possible) and call the charity and/or police.

And what will they do?
  • Fedz
    Fedz Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Options
    I just use the bags as bin liners & or use 'em to take to local charity myself but, if you don't bother for any particular then tbh it really doesn't matter who's collecting them as they're recycling them which is what the name of the game is :)
    Proudly Banking & Saving With:
    The Co-operative Bank.
    Castle & Minster Credit Union.
    Yorkshire Building Society.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business