Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Plastic Bags Charities Put Through Letterboxes.

Options

Comments

• Sayaka
    Sayaka Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a printable, online 'no charity bags' notice which I can put up?

I am getting heartily fed up with the torrent of these non-green, useless things coming through my letter box and I'm amazed that charities don't seem to realise how much they are putting people's backs up in this way.

I have got this one from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NO-CHARITY-BAGS-MENUS-LEAFLETS-ADDRESSED-MAIL-ONLY-blk-/140508840391?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Decorative_Accents_LE&hash=item20b6fac1c7

I still have a few through, but not as many as before. It had reached ridiculous proportions: 2-3 a week and none of them were proper charities.
  • burtons
    burtons Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We used to get 2-3 charity bags/leaflets per week but as we never had any clothes to put in them we put the bags back out on the day of collection but the never collected them so i starded using them as rubbish bags. Then there was a post in the local paper to say.
    A NOT-for-profit company was refused permission to conduct doorstep collections after giving just 20 per cent of the £250,000 it made last year to charity.
    Tilbury-based Intersecond Ltd applied for a licence to collect clothing for re-sale.
    It said this was on behalf of Lithuanian company Azzara, which works for breast cancer charity Do Not Delay.
    At a licensing committee meeting yesterday, the council refused the application after questioning the authenticity of accounts and documents submitted and deeming that 20 per cent is an inadequate amount to give to charity.
    Representatives of the company did not attend after stating it was too far to come from their Essex base.
    Documents sent to the council show the company has an agreement with Azzara to pay it it £5,000 every calendar irrespective of how much is collects.
    Chairwoman Cllr Norma Parish questioned why, if the company is not-for-profit, this figure doesn’t rise if collections are particuarly good. She expressed disappointment a representative didn't attend to answer questions.
    Licensing leader said accounts sent in by the company don’t follow any recognised format used in the UK.
    They show the company netted £256,894.13 in 2009/10, giving £51,400 to the charity. It had a £3,117.17 itemised profit after £202,376.42 was taken out for fuel, collection costs, bags and other overheads.
    It was then questioned if it is a not-for-profit organisation, why accounts show a £3,117 profit, adding: “If people want to give money to a breast cancer charity, maybe they’d prefer to give it to a local company.”
    Mr x said they’d received bags through their letterboxes from the charity, with mr x saying he has received bags from dozens of companies.
    Mr x said the issue of doorstep collectors in the local authority area needs to be further investigated.
    Intersecond administrator miss x said after the decision: "We have 63 licenses to collect nationwide. Some councils believe it is a good cause, some don't."
    Since this was posted in the local paper we haven't had any bags posted but there is still a company going around called cash for colthing and they give you 50p for every kg.
  • Morty_007
    Morty_007 Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    I tend to put them out empty for collection day and if they remain, I use them as rubbish bags...they are unsolicited and I can't bring myself to just chuck them away so if the company won't come back for them, what am I to do with them?? Have about 8 on my doorstep at the moment.
    Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
    Closet debt free wannabe -[STRIKE] Last personal loan payment - July 2010[/STRIKE]:T, credit card balance about £3000 (and dropping FAST), [STRIKE]Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)[/STRIKE]
    And a mortgage in a pear tree :D
  • ButtonF1Fan
    Options
    Wow, just found this post. Makes interesting though sad reading. Good to know, thank you all.
    Julie
  • ColinFishwick
    Options
    I take my unwanted stuff to charity shop that way I know its going to them than some Eastern European milking it. I like to give to charity and recycle too but dont want companies to profit other than charities
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seems that only about 50% of the bags are from genuine "charities", the rest are commercial enterprises. Most of our stuff goes to the school and kids clubs. If I get a big pile when there are none of those collections I take it to a local charity shop. All the bags, which are unsolicited mail so are mine, get used to hold the plastic bottles (not on the kerbside collection :mad:) until I get round to taking them to the recycling centre. I have left empties out before and they do not get collected so they do not get left out anymore.
  • riauba
    Options
    i work for one of good known commercial company which is supporting local charities. as commercial they are taking money for theirs salaries and other expences and giving some for charities. The same is with a charity shops where they paying for rents, bills, wages, and it is not a secret that shop workers is taking most expencive things for them self for free. Our distributor who is delivering you bags is walking for up to 20 miles per day, that's why they sometimes crossing your grass they counting each step especially at the end of the day. that's why they are not collecting empty bags. one bag is worth about £0.04 it would be time waisting collector to walk another 20 miles for it and just for about £20 plus another 20 miles for distributing. some companies collecting empty bags but they doing max 3-5 miles a day.
    Worst thing is that people is not checking for a charity reg number on a bag. sometimes company providing just a ltd company reg number.
    All the legal companies has a logos on the collection vans, so if you see that someone is collecting legal bags with no logos on a van please take a note of plates and call the police. There is groups who is taking stuff from outside doors of charity shops and charity containers over nights.
  • rinoa778
    rinoa778 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a printable, online 'no charity bags' notice which I can put up?

I am getting heartily fed up with the torrent of these non-green, useless things coming through my letter box and I'm amazed that charities don't seem to realise how much they are putting people's backs up in this way.

I just got one of those sticky white labels and wrote "No bags" on it and stuck it on the letterbox flap.
    It has reduced the amount of bags I get but I do still get them.

I'm currently working my way through a biscuit selection box full of the bags. They're a good size to line the paper shredder container.
    Lurker extraordinaire! no. 4950

Food Shopping & Groceries is my favourite board.
  • ScratchandSniff-->[X]
    Options
    One of the recent political parties has just junk mailed me with a handy Freepost envelope into which I could fit about nine of the things. I do hope they find them useful for all their old flannel.
  • birkee
    birkee Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Options
    Without reading the whole post.....
    we are in a very popular area, and it's not that uncommon, to get three charity bags in one day.
    As other contributers.....bin liners!
    I'm sick of em!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family