Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Plastic Bags Charities Put Through Letterboxes.

Options
123457»

Comments

• lilly81
    lilly81 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I get atleast 3 a week so use them as bin liners :money: must save me about £1 per year :D
    I take my unwanted stuff to my local charity shop.
    The charity bags have got out of hand, a bit like the people on the high street trying to make you give direct debits a few years ago :mad:
    Debt free date 23rd march 2009 🥳Autism is my super power 🏳️🌈 🌈✨
  • gilly3
    gilly3 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

Sorry in advance for the long post.

I always felt the same about the sacks that get delivered - ie clothes being sold abroad.
    That was until I visited friends in Eastern Europe and their young teenage daughter proudly showed me all the English sounding 'designer' tops that she had been able to buy in 'one of those shops'. Yes, they included primark, miss selfridge, tesco and so many more names I can't remember. It was the only way she could afford to buy western clothes which she craved.

She explained that she buys the clothes by weight, by kilo.
    We visited one of the shops and even found an Asda employee teeshirt for sale!!!!
    Hubby bought some books to read on holiday again sold by weight.

You will laugh at this bit....at one of the out of town Tescos, there outside the checkouts sharing the only building was again 'one of those shops' and it was doing a roaring trade.
    So, please don't knock too much - some people as we have found only have this way of buying clothes and household linen.

Thanks for reading.

ps
    I do not work for any of the said companies or charities - just my own views.
  • meggsy
    meggsy Posts: 741 Forumite
    Options
    I get very few bags through the door which are genuine.

Todays bag has 'our new project needs your support for Japan'

Has a mobile contact number and unrecognised Company reg no !

More bin bags, thanks :)
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    A local sports club does bags & they get 40p a kilo. So at least I know who actually benefits and how much they get for all the stuff we have (and it keeps the cricket fees down and equipment up).
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • easyhost
    easyhost Posts: 424 Forumite
    Options
    we dont get that many now, but some you get are smaller than a std plastic carrier bag.

the main one we get is from the air ambulance service, which we know is genuine and they collect their own with their own bags. we got several last year that stated they were from the BHF (British Heart Foundation), but looking at the bag you could see the logo was badly designed and printed, so i decided to check the details online and found they had not even got the BHF charity number right on the bags. reported them to trading standards and the BHF and guess what no more of these bags arrived
  • jetta_wales
    jetta_wales Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if it's already come up but does anybody not think half of the good stuff ends up on e-bay?

There's always people selling loads and loads of clothes or clothes bundles and they often say it's to get money for a holiday or to clear out wardrobes, even seen a few saying it's because they're emigrating. Thing is though when you look at their other items they have clothes in every child's age and every women's size from 8-18 on offer. Then if you look at the feedback everything they've ever sold is clothes bundles a dozen a week for as far back as you can see. And they're making a hell of a lot more than £4 per tone on them too.

Needless to say for many reasons, we do not ever use these bags.
    "Life is what you make of it, whoever got anywhere without some passion and ambition?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure