Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Plastic Bags Charities Put Through Letterboxes.

Options

Comments

• Ianna
    Ianna Posts: 581 Forumite
    Options
    I never ever put anything in the charity bags, I'm wary of them. Quite often when you read the small print most or even all of the clothing isn't actually going to charity. The bag will say something like "clothing for developing countries" but the small print says SOME of the clothing will GET SOLD TO developing countries! Loads of them are a scam and I don't risk any of them....I just use the bags instead of bin liners.
  • ilovecushions
    Options
    I haven't bought bin bags for months......we only put one bag of rubbish out a week and I've got so many 'charity bags' I'll probably never have to buy bin bags ever again! I do donate to charity - but directly, not with those bags.
  • ih8stress
    ih8stress Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ih8stress wrote: »

This may sound mean but I NEVER use them as I prefer to donate to the charity shop (of my choice) instead as that way I know it gets to them directly - it's hard to tell, especially with the leaflets, if they are genuine.
    escapee wrote: »
    Then you are not a very environmentally conscious person ;), I quite happily take any donation bags that come through my door as they make fantastic bin liners.

Take your clothes directly to a charity shop and use your bags wisely...... I do!! :beer:

I DO actually recycle them - see my post immediately before yours!
    ih8stress wrote: »
    I do actually recycle the ones that I have still got, usually when doing the gardening, as rubbish bags etc. or for when I do donate to the local charity shops.

I meant that I never use them for charity collections at the door .....................
  • samdd
    samdd Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    Options
    Charities allow there name to be used for an agreed monthly percentage of whatever the individual collects and sells to the rag man.

In my area there are many man and van that travel the country putting out bags one day and collect 3 days later. I was speaking to one such guy the other day who said he earns about £1200 a week and pays the charity 5% for use of there charity name and number

My advice would be to take your unwanted items to your preferred charity shop and cut out the misleading Con.
  • mishkanorman
    mishkanorman Posts: 4,155 Forumite
    Options
    if you have stuff to get rid of its always worth checking with your local schools, we do a bags2school collection and would love more contributions !! we get paid xx per tonne and its worth our time !
    Bow Ties ARE cool :cool:

"Just because you are offended, doesnt mean you are right" Ricky Gervais :D
  • Pip-squeak_3
    Options
    escapee wrote: »
    Then you are not a very environmentally conscious person ;), I quite happily take any donation bags that come through my door as they make fantastic bin liners.

I totally agree with escapee. The bags make great bin bags and unwanted clothes can be taken to the charity shop or where I live left out for the bin men to take and sort. Haven't bought a bin bag for years.
    Challenge 2 adults food and household.
    2009 £1214.37
    Target for 2010 £1250
  • lolly_896
    lolly_896 Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    Options
    Please don't use these bloody bags! They make me so angry! The charity s get a poor amount, i know it is alot more time consuming and inconvenient but please try and take them to the charity shops x
    DFW Nerd #awaiting number - Proud to be dealing with my debts!

Dont cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Sealed Pot Challenge #781
  • bluetimone97
    Options
    Just to add some charity shops can collect if you ask them
    Real men never follow instructions; after all they are just the manufacturer's opinion on how to put something together. :p
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,662 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most bags don't come from charity shops, but from commercial organisations "collecting on behalf of xxxxxx charity" or " donating £yyyy to xxxxxx charity".
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • gadgetanny
    Options
    find some other charity organizations
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills