PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• mummy2mygirls
    Options
    Spent £77 in MrT tonight!! Hits my mthly target lots but i think we should still be ok - fingers crossed!! Have loads of meat and main meals so shouldnt need to go to the shops again for a while.....i hope :)
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
    :jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j
  • seductivesmile
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »

Will need another 2L of skimmed milk tomorrow and a 2.5kg bag of potatoes (if I can face humping them home in my backpack) and when oh when are £idls going to have another offer on their chicken breasts or thighs for goodness sakes?! I'm having to pay full price again for both for the first time in about 6 months, and I'm not impressed! Lol

This weekend!!
    Breasts are half price!

HTH xx
    Each day is a new beginning, look at what you have an be grateful for every tiny thing. You don't know when it may be taken away.
  • angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2011 at 12:41AM
    Options
    Moniker-I'd use the evaporated milk. I'd open it fully and look at the inside of the tin. If the tin looks good condition(not brown bits falling off the sides)I'd take a teaspoonful and taste it-that is if you want to be cautious. Personally Id just use it without doing the above-its not "that" old.
    Nicl-re stilton its ripe rather than mouldy Id say-cheese is a funny one re useby dates as a lot of it juct carries on maturing rather than going off.
    Ive made cheese sauce with my stilton by melting it in the micro and mixing in some cream and serving over some nice leeks!
    Nearly had a nsd today but ended up buying throat sweets for £3.76-oh the luxery! Got around to handing in my sicknotes at work and explaining why I couldnt phone in daily-well-I literally lost my voice for a week and they have serious phone problems so had to text the manager daily. she is totally understanding but HO are not to bright at times.If I get paid it will be great but Im assuming I won't then I won't feel let down. My feeling was I was/am to ill to work so money or no money I won't be there-there isn't an option!
    Darn flu is hitting so many people.
    DD(16)has a mate staying over tonight and normally Id pop out for frozen pizzas and treats but today I told dd she would have to cook something for them(she is studying prof cookery)so we all ended up with a very basic spag bol and she cheated-putting in meatballs to make it speedy(sometihng I showed her once). Tasted fine but not our usual standard,and I ate too much and feel heavy now!
    MummyEm-do you have an airing cupboard? Thats where people used to prove bread but with the new combi boilers it doesnt work now unless you have an older system-an immersion heater.
    Hippechiq-you can buy frozen chicken breasts at low cost in Iceland-that is where I always buy mine.
    Rosieben-I echo what everyone else says! Keep posting as normal!!!!!!!!!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 January 2011 at 2:52AM
    Options
    Chloris wrote: »
    In the winter our house can be quite cold. I used to prove our pizza/bread dough in the hallway with the bowl butting up against the radiator. This worked well until I found my youngest pushing orange segments into it. Now I replace the dough in the mixing bowl (after kneading, my BM died) and place it into the washing up bowl which I have filled up to a third with hot water. It seems to work well and the LO have not fiddled with this arrangement yet (insert evil Doctor Doom laugh).:rotfl:

a tip I read on one of the breadmaking threads - cover the bowl with a shower cap; I used to do this when I lived in a cold and draughty kitchen and it works a dream ;)

just to clarify, I bought a cheapy pack of 3 plastic shower caps which I used just for this purpose! :D

eta - I didnt live just in the kitchen ...:doh:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2011 at 1:41AM
    Options
    This weekend!!
    Breasts are half price!

HTH xx

Ooooh seductivesmile I could kiss you!......in fact - I will :kisses3: Lol
    Thank you :)
    Hippechiq-you can buy frozen chicken breasts at low cost in Iceland-that is where I always buy mine.
    Thanks for that Angela, but I always cube mine up into bags of 200g and freeze. That's all OH and I need for a meal. SS wont eat chicken and DD has difficulty eating due to meds, although....... actually....:think: I may just buy a bag to see what the average weight of each breast is (unless you happen to know?) It may well be that they're all roughly around 200g, so thanks for the suggestion.

Hope you're on the mend soon hun :grouphug:
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • Pernicious
    Pernicious Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I popped to the shops today & spent £14.21, leaving me with £18.32 for the rest of the month...suddenly I am beginning to doubt if I can do this challenge!

Wish me luck :rotfl:
    :idea:Debt at July 2012: £12,862.57 :eek:
    :dance:Current Debt: £0 :j
    100% paid off!
    :think: Savings Goal for November 2016: £5000 :cool:
    :D Current Savings: £1176.24 _party_
    23.52% Saved!
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning peeps :wave:

i`m planning on a NSD today, the only thing that i need is carrots but i can manage for a day or so without them :D

Mummyems - When i make pizza dough in the panny i just leave it in there until i need it, i`ve never taken it out and proved it and it makes lovely pizzas, don`t leave it too long though or it will end up huge :D

HappyCrafter - Will pm you shortly, i would love a copy of your shreadsheet, i don`t have a clue about pivot tables but it would be very useful for me and also help me to learn, thanks :)

Rosieben
    - I`m so glad that you have decided to keep posting and leave things the way that they were, i find your posts useful and often look for your name to follow links to recipes, thanks for all your hard work - we all know that you donate a lot of your free time to the thread and we appreciate it very much.

I`m off to send that pm, have a good day peeps.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sat here drinking hot water and lemon as the detox started this morning:)

I had to pick DH up from work last night, a 40 minute round trip which messed up our routie a bit, well that is the excuse I am giving for the £6 on beer and £16 on a chinese that was spent last night:o

Things are starting to look like they may be a bit tight this month and I have 23 days left:eek: Will only need a little fresh fruit and veg in the middle of the week and then a veg box on Friday I hope.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • maz1964
    maz1964 Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That would be great, thank you, I have sent you a PM with my email address!

hiya happycrafter

would you kindly send me this spreadsheet too have pmd you my email address

maz :beer:
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 1525

"Knowledge is the Power to get Debt Free":j

Truecall device, stops all the unneccesary phone calls - my sanity has been restored and the peace in the house is truely priceless!:rotfl:
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    a tip I read on one of the breadmaking threads - cover the bowl with a shower cap; I used to do this when I lived in a cold and draughty kitchen and it works a dream ;)

just to clarify, I bought a cheapy pack of 3 plastic shower caps which I used just for this purpose! :D

eta - I didnt live just in the kitchen ...:doh:

That is a good idea, thank you. I will look out for them as it will save on the disposable plastic!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure