Cancelling Sky, but still want record function

I am going to cancel Sky as I don't want any of the channels except Freeview and my kids are happy with Netflix.

But I like recording programmes from BBC1 etc.

Can I just buy a recordable box from somewhere? It doesn't need to have a load of storage, just so that I can watch programmes at a later date.
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 August 2018 at 12:01PM
    I am going to cancel Sky as I don't want any of the channels except Freeview and my kids are happy with Netflix.

But I like recording programmes from BBC1 etc.

Can I just buy a recordable box from somewhere? It doesn't need to have a load of storage, just so that I can watch programmes at a later date.

Would the programmes be on iplayer ?

Yes you can buy a recording box, Humax is 1 make thats very good.

Make sure you buy 1 that records Freeview and not Freesat.
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Would the programmes be on iplayer ?

Yes you can buy a recording box, Humax is 1 make thats very good.

I'm assuming so, but not entirely sure. I tend to forget what I want to watch and like the idea of recording programmes.

Just wasn't sure if it was doable (and if I could justify the cost).

I will be watching the free channels through the Sky box still. Would this make a difference as to whether I can record them?
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Why they clearly appear to have a dish.

Assuming not sky Q (and seems unlikely since they are keeping the box) with the changes freesat would be fine. ANd I'm sure freesat Q dish compatible are coming soon.

At least sat had a decent bandwidth and is watchable.
  • DCFC79
    I'm assuming so, but not entirely sure. I tend to forget what I want to watch and like the idea of recording programmes.

Just wasn't sure if it was doable (and if I could justify the cost).

I will be watching the free channels through the Sky box still. Would this make a difference as to whether I can record them?

Why not just go for freeview ?

I know you cant record on the Sky box if you still have Sky as your supplier. You would need to switch to Freeview.

But you could move to Freesat and just buy a suitable box which would work out cheaper
  • DCFC79
    edited 20 August 2018 at 1:15PM
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Why they clearly appear to have a dish.

Assuming not sky Q (and seems unlikely since they are keeping the box) with the changes freesat would be fine. ANd I'm sure freesat Q dish compatible are coming soon.

At least sat had a decent bandwidth and is watchable.

It was the first thing that came to mind and was too quick with posting my reply.
  • pollyanna24
    Why not just go for freeview ?

I know you cant record on the Sky box if you still have Sky as your supplier. You would need to switch to Freeview.

But you could move to Freesat and just buy a suitable box which would work out cheaper

Not sure. Hadn't thought about it to be honest. If I go for Freeview, do I just need to buy a recordable box and Freeview comes through that?

I suppose initially, until I get around (if I ever do) to getting a recordable box, I just had it in my head that I would watch the free channels through my Sky box.

Looking at the prices of the boxes though, I think I might just make a note of programmes I want to watch and hope they are on iPlayer. It's mainly the soaps (and I would prefer no adverts for ITV ones) and those healthy eating programmes that Greg Wallace does and the like that I tend to watch.
  • pollyanna24
  • pollyanna24
    I'm finding others now that are £29.99.

Why are some £200 then? Or do the cheaper one not do what I want them to do which is just record a few programmes of the tv planner?
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm finding others now that are £29.99.

Why are some £200 then? Or do the cheaper one not do what I want them to do which is just record a few programmes of the tv planner?

Because it is a cheap nasty thing and not a proper PVR.

1. You will need to add some usb storage to even be able to record. How much you can record limited by the space of that.

2. You can probably only record what you are watching.

Just get a humax box if you want to be happy. Freeview might be a little cheaper on some boxes but picture quality is a lot lower than sattelite. You know if this bothers you though! It does me. I cannot watch freeview, even the HD without thinking I am being abused.
  • mirko
    mirko Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Not sure. Hadn't thought about it to be honest. If I go for Freeview, do I just need to buy a recordable box and Freeview comes through that?

I suppose initially, until I get around (if I ever do) to getting a recordable box, I just had it in my head that I would watch the free channels through my Sky box.

Looking at the prices of the boxes though, I think I might just make a note of programmes I want to watch and hope they are on iPlayer. It's mainly the soaps (and I would prefer no adverts for ITV ones) and those healthy eating programmes that Greg Wallace does and the like that I tend to watch.

The soaps and Greg Wallace are all on ITV Hub and BBC iPlayer.

We cancelled Sky about a year ago so lost our recording ability. What we've found we missed most is the ability to pause. If you're watching something on TV it was nice to pause the TV, make a cup of tea and continue watching. Can't do that any more. I've got to go out and make my wife a cup of tea instead ;)

We've got to the point where we've exhausted Netflix and may move back to getting a recorder box via Sky again (been a while since I've rang them as we still have broadband).
    As of 24/11/2020
    Mort: - £98,200
    CCds: - £1,568.18
    Loan: - £0
    Savings: - £3,500.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts